new 2018 STX owner boost concerns.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shilo2010

Reaction score
G'day fellas. First post.

Previously being a long time non performance modded Patrol owner and having recently purchased a beautiful low kilometer fully modded 2018 STX that just fell in my lap and couldn't pass by, I got a couple of questions.

So I am, while well aware of turbo/boost/egt issues not really knowledgeable about them in terms of after market modifications.
Indeed, I had never even fitted either a boost or Pyro gauge to my Patrol, rather I just drove it easy, looked after it and prayed to the Gods (old and new) to keep my ZD30 on the road and out of trouble.

So here I am with this beast.
It's had everything done and I do mean everything though importantly all the best brands installed by all the most renowned workshops including with relevance three inches from the snorkel to the tail pipe, after market air filter, Performance tune/remap, iDrive throttle controller, massive aftermarket intercooler and DPF delete on 33's.
It has a low 42 thousand k on it, has been loved, showered in gold, garaged and is basically show room mint condition - meaning it's not a piece of sh*t that's falling apart or been abused by the back yard boys.

Runs beautifully - doesn't miss a beat and power?
It's mental.
(To be honest, it actually took me two weeks to get used to it)

I am however a little concerned on two things.
1) Fuel economy is terrible at over 12 to the hundred though being performance tuned and kitted I expect heightened fuel consumption is the pay off but wondering how high those figures go before I need to begin thinking outside that box and:
2) while temp/pyro sits on what I believe is a comfortable 10 to 20 (100 - 200) boost cruises on 10 to 15 but climbs right up to 35 for a second or two when I plant it which is actually off the scale on my pillar gauge.

Does that seem dodgy to you blokes?

Thanks in advance, sorry I wrote a novel, lol.
It wasn't my intent.

Pillar mount gauge photo taken while its not running.
qq.jpg

Attachments

• uuu.jpg
    uuu.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Nice truck.

Boost levels would seem normal but I'm not 100% on those in your model and in particular with this many mods. A high peak isn't a drama, it's only if it's stuck at that peak that's an issue (it should go up and down in response to demand). If you're not popping hoses or intercoolers then it's probably running within spec. When mine overboosts it pops the hose off the intake manifold.

EGTs may be a bit off though. You should expect somewhere around 450-500C on the exit of the turbo, maybe 650-750 before it (I don't know where your probe is mounted). It's capable of even higher, but you don't want to sustain high temps for too long. The alloy head doesn't like it!

Nice truck.

Boost levels would seem normal but I'm not 100% on those in your model and in particular with this many mods. A high peak isn't a drama, it's only if it's stuck at that peak that's an issue (it should go up and down in response to demand). If you're not popping hoses or intercoolers then it's probably running within spec. When mine overboosts it pops the hose off the intake manifold.

EGTs may be a bit off though. You should expect somewhere around 450-500C on the exit of the turbo, maybe 650-750 before it (I don't know where your probe is mounted). It's capable of even higher, but you don't want to sustain high temps for too long. The alloy head doesn't like it!

Thank you, Tony.
Appreciate you taking the time to read through such a long post and respond.
My EGT's are between 100 and 200c and rise occasionally to 300 if Im pushing it - so that then seems ok to you?
The after market air filter, the three inches from snorkel through to tailpipe, DPF delete and the unusually massive intercooler (three separate mechanics have commented very positively on it) seem to be doing what they're paid for, then.

Good onya, mate.
Thanks for your info and experience.
Cheers.

Last edited:
That's a very low EGT. Just through compressing the air in the cylinder (before fuel gets added) the temperature inside the chamber can rise to 400C or more (up to around 600C for higher compression/higher boost engines). Diesel fuel/s autoignition temperature is something over 250C (thats #2 diesel which is what we commonly use) so you'd need at least that, then once it combusts temps can easily hit 900C (which is where oxides of nitrogen get started). Some diesel engines can run up to around 2,500C inside the combustion chamber.

I don't think ours get quite that hot, but they're certainly well above 200C. I wonder if your temp probe isn't all the way in the actual exhaust stream, or it's measuring it down past the dump pipe - although even there the temps need to be over 250C (for the CAT to work, and the DPF which is even further down).

That's a very low EGT. Just through compressing the air in the cylinder (before fuel gets added) the temperature inside the chamber can rise to 400C or more (up to around 600C for higher compression/higher boost engines). Diesel fuel/s autoignition temperature is something over 250C (thats #2 diesel which is what we commonly use) so you'd need at least that, then once it combusts temps can easily hit 900C (which is where oxides of nitrogen get started). Some diesel engines can run up to around 2,500C inside the combustion chamber.

I don't think ours get quite that hot, but they're certainly well above 200C. I wonder if your temp probe isn't all the way in the actual exhaust stream, or it's measuring it down past the dump pipe - although even there the temps need to be over 250C (for the CAT to work, and the DPF which is even further down).

Right. Gotcha. Sorry, I misunderstood.
Thanks, mate. I'll look into that, Ta, man.
Cheers.

Back