Advice Needed

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tek1975

Reaction score
Advice Needed:

I hope I have put this in the right section?

Hi Members, From Tassie, Looking to buy a low km D22 ZD30 Nav in several months time.
From what I have researched would it be worth installing the following:
Pre Fuel Filter, To protect diesel pump?
Oil Catch can to catch dirt oil?
Intercooler in case the turbo breaks to stop bits going in to the engine?
Boost Gauge / EGT gage?
EGR blanking plate and swirl mod.
3" Exhaust system with Cat and Muffler?
Replace original ceramic glow plugs with steel ones?

I have also read that it is common for the ZD30 to get cracks in the Cylinder head between the glow plug and the inlet and exhaust valves. Are these cracks worth worrying about or do all Navs get them and dont cause problems? and would be beneficial to add a Glow Plug timer or manual switch mod so not to crack the head.

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I am on the right track. The car will mainly a daily driver maybe some beach work to get to good fishing spots and it will be very occasionally towing a 2.5 Tonne Caravan.

Thanks in Advance.

Advice Needed:

I hope I have put this in the right section?

Hi Members, From Tassie, Looking to buy a low km D22 ZD30 Nav in several months time.
From what I have researched would it be worth installing the following:
Pre Fuel Filter, To protect diesel pump?
Oil Catch can to catch dirt oil?
Intercooler in case the turbo breaks to stop bits going in to the engine?
Boost Gauge / EGT gage?
EGR blanking plate and swirl mod.
3" Exhaust system with Cat and Muffler?
Replace original ceramic glow plugs with steel ones?

I have also read that it is common for the ZD30 to get cracks in the Cylinder head between the glow plug and the inlet and exhaust valves. Are these cracks worth worrying about or do all Navs get them and dont cause problems? and would be beneficial to add a Glow Plug timer or manual switch mod so not to crack the head.

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I am on the right track. The car will mainly a daily driver maybe some beach work to get to good fishing spots and it will be very occasionally towing a 2.5 Tonne Caravan.

Thanks in Advance.
Only IMO of course but I don't think extra fuel filters are worth it on these and might in fact cause problems because of restriction. Most people would install a lift pump to account for this, but in the end all you'll achieve is extending the interval between changes of the factory filter. So I think it's better just to leave as is and change the filter more often.

Catch can is probably worthwhile and an easy mod to do, though IMO for different reason than most people would have one. I noticed the impellar on the turbo was very worn and pitted presumably from spinning in an oil mist constantly and a catch can would reduce that.

I will be in the minority here but I have doubts that the blanking plate and swirl mod achieves anything much. I took my inlet manifold off a while back and noticed the relevant ports were all but entirely blocked. Cleaning them made no discernible difference to anything and I wondered if I might have been better of just leaving it, would achieve much the same thing lol. In reality if you're fussy it might just require cleaning the manifold every 100k kms or so.

A boost gauge is easy to do and worthwhile, if you're towing an egt gauge could be worth it also, as well as some sort of intercooler if you need the peace of mind.

Not sure what a bigger exhaust or changing glow plugs would really achieve either. Unless there'es something wrong with them, the factory stuff is very good quality.

Any car can suffer major problems like cracked heads, but it would be uncommon on these. This is more likely to happen on cars that are upgraded (chips, higher boost etc.) for better performance, or if the cooling system hasn't been maintained properly. Like all of these diesel little engines (of any make) they don't like being overheated (from a blocked radiator or whatever) and once this happens the head usually goes. You might have been reading about the patrol, but the navs never had any of the problems they did.

The general consensus among people with high mileage navs of this model is that the closer to stock the better off you'll be. An upgrade to the suspension system would be worthwhile though as the factory shockies were rubbish, the rear springs usually sag and the ride is crap once they get some miles on them. Usually a small lift and decent shockies has them looking like a normal ute again and makes them more comfortable (for a slightly agricultural old workorse that they wer designed to be, that is lol).

Last edited:
catch can is a must have due to the amount of oil they blow into the intake.
intercooler is a good idea, small gain plus better reliability.

prefilter needs a lift pump on these so it gets complicated fast.
tho the injection pump runs a bit better with a lift pump.

cracked heads and glow plugs is overplayed. they usually crack because the engine overheats. typically blocked up radiator, fan not working properly etc.

keep in mind how old a zd30 ute is. they are around 20 years old now.

Only IMO of course but I don't think extra fuel filters are worth it on these and might in fact cause problems because of restriction. Most people would install a lift pump to account for this, but in the end all you'll achieve is extending the interval between changes of the factory filter. So I think it's better just to leave as is and change the filter more often.

Catch can is probably worthwhile and an easy mod to do, though IMO for different reason than most people would have one. I noticed the impellar on the turbo was very worn and pitted presumably from spinning in an oil mist constantly and a catch can would reduce that.

I will be in the minority here but I have doubts that the blanking plate and swirl mod achieves anything much. I took my inlet manifold off a while back and noticed the relevant ports were all but entirely blocked. Cleaning them made no discernible difference to anything and I wondered if I might have been better of just leaving it, would achieve much the same thing lol. In reality if you're fussy it might just require cleaning the manifold every 100k kms or so.

A boost gauge is easy to do and worthwhile, if you're towing an egt gauge could be worth it also, as well as some sort of intercooler if you need the peace of mind.

Not sure what a bigger exhaust or changing glow plugs would really achieve either. Unless there'es something wrong with them, the factory stuff is very good quality.

Any car can suffer major problems like cracked heads, but it would be uncommon on these. This is more likely to happen on cars that are upgraded (chips, higher boost etc.) for better performance, or if the cooling system hasn't been maintained properly. Like all of these diesel little engines (of any make) they don't like being overheated (from a blocked radiator or whatever) and once this happens the head usually goes. You might have been reading about the patrol, but the navs never had any of the problems they did.

The general consensus among people with high mileage navs of this model is that the closer to stock the better off you'll be. An upgrade to the suspension system would be worthwhile though as the factory shockies were rubbish, the rear springs usually sag and the ride is crap once they get some miles on them. Usually a small lift and decent shockies has them looking like a normal ute again and makes them more comfortable (for a slightly agricultural old workorse that they wer designed to be, that is lol).

Thanks Horatius, I think I might of been watching to many Youtube videos. The reason I am going for a zd30 Nav is for it's towing ability 3000kg I will be towing a 2500kg Caravan a couple of times a year but not very long distances.

I have always been the kind of guy that likes to be able to do work on my own car. But all have been petrol cars so Diesel engines are new to me. So a bit of a learning curve. I like the idea of the catch can but if like you said that the egr intake gets blocked any way then a egr blanking plate is really not worth doing.

I will deffinently be getting a boost and EGT gauge but I will be keeping the turbo and ecu at factory settings I am not after more power just like to know how the engine is going while towing.

I read somewhere that a larger exhaust helps the engine work less but not sure about that.

If I can get a low km zd30 with a good body I would be more than happy to buy a reconditioned motor for it when the engine finally does go.

I have looked in to buying a D40 but with the 2.5 engine I think that the engine would have to be under more strain then the 3.0L ZD30.

I have also been looking in to the Pathfinder but I think the zd30 would be the better towing car.

I will deffinently be looking in to the suspension and a bit of lift.

catch can is a must have due to the amount of oil they blow into the intake.
intercooler is a good idea, small gain plus better reliability.

prefilter needs a lift pump on these so it gets complicated fast.
tho the injection pump runs a bit better with a lift pump.

cracked heads and glow plugs is overplayed. they usually crack because the engine overheats. typically blocked up radiator, fan not working properly etc.

keep in mind how old a zd30 ute is. they are around 20 years old now.

Thanks Tweak'e

I read somewhere that the ceramic glow plugs can break and damage the bores and was thinking of going for steel glow plugs but seems it must be an intermittent fault. Will have to look in to the lift pump wouldn't mind spending a bit just for the added protection of protecting the diesel pump bloody expensive for what they are to replace.

Love the idea of a coke can cheap and I guess pretty much does the same job.

Any other add ons you would think would help?

Thanks Horatius, I think I might of been watching to many Youtube videos. The reason I am going for a zd30 Nav is for it's towing ability 3000kg I will be towing a 2500kg Caravan a couple of times a year but not very long distances.

I have always been the kind of guy that likes to be able to do work on my own car. But all have been petrol cars so Diesel engines are new to me. So a bit of a learning curve. I like the idea of the catch can but if like you said that the egr intake gets blocked any way then a egr blanking plate is really not worth doing.

I will deffinently be getting a boost and EGT gauge but I will be keeping the turbo and ecu at factory settings I am not after more power just like to know how the engine is going while towing.

I read somewhere that a larger exhaust helps the engine work less but not sure about that.

If I can get a low km zd30 with a good body I would be more than happy to buy a reconditioned motor for it when the engine finally does go.

I have looked in to buying a D40 but with the 2.5 engine I think that the engine would have to be under more strain then the 3.0L ZD30.

I have also been looking in to the Pathfinder but I think the zd30 would be the better towing car.

I will deffinently be looking in to the suspension and a bit of lift.
There are people here who tow their vans all over the place with a 2.5 and there isn't much difference in power between the two. For ttowing longer distances a D40 is going to be a lot more comfortable. The zd30's models are way under tuned, which is a good thing IMO (for longevity).

The old zd30 model was probably the last of the really reliable old workhorse utes they made IMO, and the quality started to go downhill once they stopped manufacturing in Japan. Something to keep in mind if you do change your feelings regarding a catch can is to get a good one that won't offer any restriction (such as the provent that has bigger inlets/hoses and bypass valves if it gets blocked). Have seen cheapy catch cans cause all sorts of oil leaks from seals, because of restriction and the build up of pressure from blow by gasses. They really do pump some out.

Not sure about a bigger exhaust but the way I see it is that the engineers seem to have gone to some trouble to design the factory one and they really are good quality.

Those little micro inter coolers from fleabay are easy enough to fit if you're only after safety/ peace of mind. Won't offer any performance benefit though, probably a front mount or water cooled one would be needed for that.

If I was starting again I think a catch can and some descent suspension is all I would change, and leave it as stock as possible. Everyone has their own reason for getting a ute though, but I'm biased towards reliability more than performance.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the ceramic glow plugs can break and damage the bores
that was an issue for some of the very early ceramic glow plugs. some toyotas had that issue but i've not heard of any after 2000.
the only issue i've seen with glow plugs is them being eaten by an injector. typically due to worn injectors. you even see that in common rails.

don't forget about springs. if by some chance its got factory rear springs, they will be stuffed.

There are people here who tow their vans all over the place with a 2.5 and there isn't much difference in power between the two. For ttowing longer distances a D40 is going to be a lot more comfortable. The zd30's models are way under tuned, which is a good thing IMO (for longevity).

The old zd30 model was probably the last of the really reliable old workhorse utes they made IMO, and the quality started to go downhill once they stopped manufacturing in Japan. Something to keep in mind if you do change your feelings regarding a catch can is to get a good one that won't offer any restriction (such as the provent that has bigger inlets/hoses and bypass valves if it gets blocked). Have seen cheapy catch cans cause all sorts of oil leaks from seals, because of restriction and the build up of pressure from blow by gasses. They really do pump some out.

Not sure about a bigger exhaust but the way I see it is that the engineers seem to have gone to some trouble to design the factory one and they really are good quality.

Those little micro inter coolers from fleabay are easy enough to fit if you're only after safety/ peace of mind. Won't offer any performance benefit though, probably a front mount or water cooled one would be needed for that.

If I was starting again I think a catch can and some descent suspension is all I would change, and leave it as stock as possible. Everyone has their own reason for getting a ute though, but I'm biased towards reliability more than performance.
Yeah I am all about longevity, I was going to do the ctach can you mentioned,

Latest posts

Back