Canopy, camper trailer or roof top tent

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dungee

Reaction score
Canopy, camper trailer or roof top tent, maybe a combination of the above?

I'm gearing up for a Cape York trip next year, just the two of us and I am trying to work out which way to go with the tent/camper.

My preference is probably a camper trainer and no canopy but I've been told I should have a canopy to secure the gear that is in the back of the ute while up the cape. I was just going to have the tonneau cover.

I'm not a real fan of roof top tents or canopies as I wouldn't really want to have the canopy on all year round but the roof top tent may be a quick/cheaper alternative. I haven't really made a list of what gear I should take on a 3 week Cape trip.

Any advice on gear is most welcome.

** DOH, meant to put this in the tents and camping gear section**

Last edited:
Canopy ftw. once you have one on for a month or 2 its jard to see how youd do without it. that said ive allways run canvas canopys on all my vechiles lol

Yeah a nice canvas canopy with a rooftop tent is good... Depends in how long you want to stay in one area. Camper trailer is a bitch if you move a lot. Roof tops are quick and easy..
And the canopy Wiill be mega handy.

Canopy, camper trailer or roof top tent, maybe a combination of the above?

I'm gearing up for a Cape York trip next year, just the two of us and I am trying to work out which way to go with the tent/camper.

My preference is probably a camper trainer and no canopy but I've been told I should have a canopy to secure the gear that is in the back of the ute while up the cape. I was just going to have the tonneau cover.

I'm not a real fan of roof top tents or canopies as I wouldn't really want to have the canopy on all year round but the roof top tent may be a quick/cheaper alternative. I haven't really made a list of what gear I should take on a 3 week Cape trip.

Any advice on gear is most welcome.

** DOH, meant to put this in the tents and camping gear section**

G, day mate,

I have you thought about hiring a camper trailer from Cairns? There are a few camper trailer hire places in Cairns.

Regards,

RLI
:rambo:

My 2c worth . I fitted a canopy last year before my trip to Darwin kept all the gear dry and safe and dust free , Like fridge generator fishing gear , Now I can't imagine not having it
only thing is I wish I had awning windows on both sides not just one , Excelent access from the sides and lockable.

Canopy ftw. once you have one on for a month or 2 its jard to see how youd do without it. that said ive allways run canvas canopys on all my vechiles lol

i agree. held off buying a canopy for ages but i have one now and would never go back. There great increase the amount of gear you can take and its all out of weather and dust. As for roof top tent there great for two and easy to use and quick to set up we love ours. but is a two man job getting it on and off and once your set up you cant move the car without packing up. As for a camper trailer where looking to get one now as the family grows but will be extra weight and will make some of the tracks we went on last yr at the cape alot more interesting next time round
Dunk

Canopy plus roof top tent= win in my eyes. That's my 2c and what I will be doing

nakedape said:
Swag + tarp does the job. Or a decent tent.

Hunting trip with lots movement, I love my awning plus swag. Best setup.

Funny, I used to go away for weeks at a time with only what I could carry on my motorbike....
I'm heading in to the Brisbane camping show tomorrow, will check out the canopies, rooftop tents and camper trailers. I'm still leaning toward the trailer with maybe a canopy for security and convenience, ugh, I like my ute to be a ute.

I'd consider one of those canopies that has quick release mounts but I have a ute liner and I think I have to remove the liner to get the sport bar off to get the caanopy on, phew lots of work?
Can a canopy fit with the sport bar (black steel I think) left on?

You woild probly have to get a canopy made to suit. most canopys are a bit of a pita to rome refit especially with styleside necause there is no room between cab and tub so the only way to hold it in place effectivly is rope it under neath. means you have to get under car and tie off ropes.
Dont know about fibreglass, would think you will have to remove bar

The other way is do a canopy similar to the way i did and use the factory roll bar for the frame. still have to rope the front but. pics in my build thread if interested

qqc d22 said:
The other way is do a canopy similar to the way i did and use the factory roll bar for the frame. still have to rope the front but. pics in my build thread if interested

Exactly how I'm building mine. I'll be running a 3/4 steel rack on top Also.

Canopies and roof top tents are great. I wish I had a high rise canopy but mine is fine. Def get one with lift up windows both sides. Like someone else said the only down fall with a roof top is not being able to move once set up.

We use a camper trailer and my ute is always going to be a ute not a wagon, I've had two wagons and this time around absolutely loving the ute.
This set up works for us even when it's just the two of us (kids getting older now and don't want to camp with us) the best thing IMO is being able to drive around once camper is set, gathering firewood, sight seeing, fishing, shopping, mountain biking, kayaking etc, you get the picture, total freedom !

OK, had a look at the rooftop tents, they are not for me. I'm sure I'll fall off that ladder in the dark and break my neck.
Trailer it is, now I need to work out if I need a canopy, I guess most valuables will be either in the car or the trailer. Probably recovery gear, some tools, second spare wheel in the tray. Apart from the spare, all other gear could go in a large lockable chest. Fridge, food, clothes etc in the camper trailer.

What are your thoughts about that setup for the Cape Trip, especially with a view to the security, and amount of kit needing to be under the tonneau in the ute tray?

especially with a view to the security, and amount of kit needing to be under the tonneau in the ute tray?

Nothings truly secure - once you accept that life gets a bit easier.

All of your recovery gear can go in a decent lockable box (mine is screwed the the tub floor but you can be as innovative as you like, as long as it works). Other camping gear in separate storage boxes (sealed is best - but mine are not & I've learned to live with the dust). Spade on top of everything else. Second spares take up a lot of room - you should consider building a rack (another hoop on the back & a rack between rollbars) to get it up out the way (like mine below) - or a rear bar and wheel carrier aka Pix's effort (you can check it out on here).

Have a trial pack/ trip - you'll soon work out what shits you and what works.

Attachments

• P9300342.jpg
    P9300342.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 121

Latest posts

Back