Brindabella National Park

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimoNav

Reaction score
I am planning on heading into Brindabella National Park soon to try and camp at either Lowell's Flat or McIntyres campground.
Has anyone ventured in there from Canberra who can give me some advice on navigation. I have searched around and can't find any solid maps or directions.
Cheers!

/edit

OK, did this last weekend so figured I would post a report incase anyone else wanted to give it a crack.

Here is the map (link) I would recommend if you use if you wanted to get to Lowells Flat or McIntyres Hut camping grounds. The PNG is better to print with but Imgur converts it to JPG. Let me know if you want the 7MB high res version.
We actually ended up missing the Two Sticks Road turnoff from Brindabella Road and figured instead of turning back we would give Gentle Annie Trail a go instead. I would not recommend this unless you want more 4WD action as has a lot more ups and downs and is far slower going. However, you would go this way if you wanted to camp at Flea Creek; we had lunch there and it seemed pretty good.
Eventually we made it along Webbs Ridge Trail and then onto Waterfall Trail, McIntyres Trail and finally to Lowells Flat Trail. We used the Powerline Trail and Two Sticks to get home. The turnoffs are pretty well marked so you might get away with not taking a topo map. We had the printoffs from SIX Maps from NSW, the instructions YJN gave and a hiking GPS with a similar route downloaded from another site to guide us along.
The route I have mapped was easy enough for a first time 4WDer like myself to get through without any issues. I had no idea what gears to use and whether or not to use low range at certain points. We travelled a lot slower than other 4WDs that passed us so maybe I was being a bit too careful. I'll watch a few videos on YouTube before my next outing.

Lowells Flat is a great campground. Picture perfect with plenty of room. Drop toilet that didn't stink was also a bonus. There was a sign saying there was a total fire ban but the National Parks website suggested this was not the case. Everyone else who was camping already had their fires going so we just took appropriate caution and started ours. We brought our own firewood purchased from O'Rourkes Firewood in Canberra (26c/kg!). Was bloody freezing at night and any water left out froze.

Had a bunch of palookas rock up on Saturday night, set up a fire where there was no previous fireplace, made no effort to cordon it off, played shitty music until late, rolled a huge log into their fire and then left early Sunday morning; the log was still burning on Monday morning. We poured buckets of water on it but the ground just boiled it away. Ended up having to dump sand all over it; hopefully it eventually went out.

Overall a great weekend and thanks heaps to everyone below that provided the advice I needed to get us there!

ocx9N13.jpg

My brother making sure the engine wasn't about to explode after the smell it produced the first time we ascended in low range. Was probably just the first time it was ever really used since the previous owner said he never went off-roading.

Last edited:
plenty of great spots mate, If you gimmie some notice ill be more then happy to head out and show you what i know of the area :)

Mike same here.
But a guide is helpful.
I've spend some time out there. Got totally lost. A 4 hour trip became a 12hour run. But tracks range from all out to dirt roads.

Thanks for the offers guys. Would be great to do a 4WD day trip with a few of the Canberra members here, if nothing but to teach me how to drive my new car!

However, as it stands we want to head there this weekend. Going to buy a topographic map and use this rough guide from this site to guide us in from Coree. Most of the guys going have decent skills when it comes to map reading and general outdoor stuff.

The weather forecast says there is little chance of rain. Should I be alright with a pretty stock Navara and no 4WDing experience? I can handle a car but usually it's going faster than slower.

I have not been to McIntyres Hut Yet, but down to flea creek (great lunch spot, though i did hear its getting chopped up lately i havent seen it yet) and up along the powerlines down to the mudholes out to Mt coree i have quite a few times.
the weather is what determines where you go, with standard cars. If its dry You can go anywhere pretty much.
But if its wet then A descent set of tyres is a minimum, then common sense from there really.

you can defiantly spend a whole day out there

What time/day are you looking at going this weekend?/how many of you are going?

Last edited:
The weather forecast suggests that there will be no more rain in the ranges until after the weekend so I am hoping that the roads/tracks will be dry.
I am running stock tyres.
We have a full car (5) with tents and gear in the tray. One of the other guys has a Forrester but the current plan is to try and pack into my Navara and leave that at home.

Its a maze I'll say that much......

Cant agree more with the fact its a maze out there!! McIntyres Hut is not to far from Mt Coree.

If you continue down Two sticks road about a kilometre past the Mt Coree turn off it will bring you to a open field where there are powerlines above and to the right is where Mike has mentioned the bog holes are. If you carefully look to the left there is a trail that leads from here and its called the Powerline Trail although its the tame one. Head down this road following it for about half an hour then you will come to a intersection. Take a right here and you will now be on Webbs Ridge trail. Follow this for another half an hour until you see a trail that leads off to the left. Take this its called Waterfall Trail. Follow this for about 20 minutes and you will reach a T intersection. Go left and now you will be on McIntyre's Trail. follow it for about 15 Minutes this is where it gets pretty steep and in the wet could be pretty challenging. Once you've dropped down all the hills you will start a brief climb again where you can vear left or right take the right trail and you will drop down into McIntyre's and if you go left you will be taken to Lowells Flat camp ground. Hope these directions wernt to comfusing. Cant stress enough on taking the left turn off Webbs Ridge trail onto Waterfall trail, because if you continue through you will end up out near Wee Jasper, As I found out the hard way late one night haha.

If you plan a trip in the next few weekends start a fresh thread about it im sure a few of us Canberra boys would love to come for a drive. Goodluck!!

That's tops mate!
I was thinking the same thing looking like I'll be in town for both weekends itching for an excuse to throw the muddies on!

That's tops mate!
I was thinking the same thing looking like I'll be in town for both weekends itching for an excuse to throw the muddies on!

Im away this weekend. Heading to Blacksmiths/9 Mile beach but will be in town for the following Anzac Weekend. So if you were keen to do a day on the Saturday I would deffinetly be keen!! Maybe we can get a small crew going, anyone else in Canberra the Anzac weekend who wants to come for a wheel??

Yes we will be camping.
I know I sound like a bit of a noob here but is it unreasonable to expect to fit 5 people, with camping gear, in a Navara for 2 or 3 nights? Planning on picking up some firewood at Fyshwick tomorrow as well.

YJN, I have mapped your instructions to this image. Is this the best way to get there from Canberra though? We will probably be leaving from around the Gungahlin area.

Probably going to get a Easter Friday late morning or lunchtime start. Happy to turn it into a "Canberra Navara Day Out" but don't want to spoil the fun of you experienced guys having a new 4WD owner slowing you down!

Yes we will be camping.
I know I sound like a bit of a noob here but is it unreasonable to expect to fit 5 people, with camping gear, in a Navara for 2 or 3 nights? Planning on picking up some firewood at Fyshwick tomorrow as well.

YJN, I have mapped your instructions to this image. Is this the best way to get there from Canberra though? We will probably be leaving from around the Gungahlin area.

Probably going to get a Easter Friday late morning or lunchtime start. Happy to turn it into a "Canberra Navara Day Out" but don't want to spoil the fun of you experienced guys having a new 4WD owner slowing you down!

Yeah mate that map is the exact route! It's the best way I know of to get there tho I do come from the southside of Canberra when I go out there but wouldn't imagine it makes two much difference. Before you get on two sticks road you will be coming in on brindabella road. After it goes from tar to dirt the turn off to two sticks trail is at a large intersection. There will be a massive sign on your left that shows you distances. You can eitha go left to mount franklin, continue straight on brindabella road or right, go right as it is the start of two sticks.

I't all depends on how mucin gear your taking. I would Proberly try and take a second 4wd if you can, but if not I'm sure you could make it work.

After it goes from tar to dirt the turn off to two sticks trail is at a large intersection. There will be a massive sign on your left that shows you distances. You can eitha go left to mount franklin, continue straight on brindabella road or right, go right as it is the start of two sticks.

Spot on with that intersection! That's where the snow falls to ;)
There are a few turn offs you can take to get to two sticks before the tar ends I'm sure you'll end up poping out one if you go exploring!

If your going in one car you'll be fine like above depends how much gear you've got, fingers crossed it doesn't rain.

Thanks for the tips guys! Feeling a lot more confident about heading off-road now. Hope the rain hasn't messed up the roads too much.

Had the mechanic go over the car today and give it a thumbs up. Got a quote for a new suspension system for next time ;)

Any tips on what tyre pressure to run on those roads with a fully laden tray?

Keep an eye out for bikes out there. Pretty easy to relax and start thinking that you have all the roads to yourself but there will be heaps of bikes out there.

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I have updated my initial post with a field report and a map in case someone else was interested in a similar trip.

I'm heading back in this weekend and going to head to the same spot along the route I laid out in the first post of this thread.

I'm a bit nervous because of the rain and the fact that I have road tyres on. I have 2 other 4WDs with me this time and we have a snatch strap. Hopefully the factory recovery point is enough if we get into trouble.

My current tent, which is 15 years old, just got a silicon and turps coating last night as it was no longer waterproof. The missus wanted a new tent but I said that I could get the current one back to new with some homebrew waterproofing. Thunderstorms predicted for Saturday night!

If anyone is doing this trip on Friday arvo and sees a couple of Navaras and a Colorado rolled on their roofs, come and say hi!

Latest posts

Back