All bias aside...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1303

Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking
If your insurance company was to hand over a cheque to the sum of a 2011 st d40 with all the fruit to buy a new 4x4.

With all bias aside what would you buy!?

Lol great work Brett Bahahah

Now to be honest I wouldn't mind s New Ranger or BT50 had some great reviews and I know people who have them and rate them highly

Rusty

nope. i'd smack it all down towards a patrol and build that up.

I'd be coming from my D22, so i don't see the point in going backwards to a D40...?

I wouldn't buy the d40 again.
In fact I wouldn't go with a dual cab but a wagon.
Too many issues and the dealers are pretty clueless.
Having said that, it seems each brand has its issues.
I'm looking down the patrol track.
If I was buying new I would troll the respective forums first to find one that had issues I could live with.

Last edited:
People have different reasons for their choices which may very well differ to yours.

Towing is an important aspect for me and I reckon the 2.5lt D40 is a bit underdone when it gets up a bit toward the max towing capacity.

The Ranger seems to be a better prospect in that regard however on thing I don't like is that the tow bar sits well below the bumper and I can't get the thought of it's ugly relative, the BT50, out of my mind.

Bit like shagging a really hot woman with carny folk family. :big_smile:

At this stage, a Discovery 4 for me, despite it being twice the price.

My choice was based on its practicality and looks. BT50 and Ranger cause I like the dualcab Ute. Patrol would be to big for the wife.

I have never looked at the towbar on the ranger, but surely a tjm rear step will combat that problem.

Difficult, I would have said Patrol especially if they made it in a dual cab ute but that's not on the cards. I've had two 4x4 wagons and now I'm really enjoying a ute so I'd go a VW Amarok (great reviews) but there's not many accessories around for them yet.
A mate at work has current Ford Ranger in 3.2ltr 5 cyl diesel and so far is very happy, however his previous Ranger was a shit box, it's a wonder he trusted going that way again, BT50 is just plain too ugly for me.

I am looking at buying a hilux in V6 5 speed auto, just cause I want something with more power then a D22 but roughly the same size, I know people don't like the new ones but for the minimal 4wding I do it'd be fine plus I do alot of long distance driving so having all the safety features is a big plus over the single airbag in my D22.

However it probably comes down to what your doing, did your D40 take you everywhere you wanted to go? if it didn't maybe its time to look at something with solid axles at the front, did it have enough power? ect.

If they were handing it over out of the goodness of their hearts and I still got to keep mine I wouldn't bother replacing it, too much effort to redo all the bits. If they were handing it over because my current car warranted an insurance pay out I'd be hoping to get more than the current price of an ST D40 considering my local dealer is rolling out ST's for $38K this week.

I would look more into a Ranger, was at the dealers the other day buying the girlfriends car and they said there was a long wait for one.

I'd go a Patrol but I need the 7 seats. Also like the avaliability of second hand gear for them (racks etc). Current Patrols are pretty dated though, kind of like the D22 :)

Latest posts

Back