All bias aside...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id get a new 76 series cruiser wagon

Have you ever driven one for any length of time? Particularly on a longer trip at highway speeds, i honestly can't think of a more cramped, uncomfortable and unstable car, especially when a base model comes with bugger all equipment and cost over 70 grand!
I drive these frequently and they are really horrible cars

The reason i bought another D40 is i believe they are the best value for money dual cab on the market with all that the current ST has to offer for the $$ Nissan are asking nothing comes close IMO. they have as much power if not more then most others and more then the over priced Hilux, heaps of room, all the mod cons, great tray, 60/40 split rear seat, drive great comfortable driving position ect ect,
so as i just bought another D40 6 weeks ago i would say that says it all really

Hilux is $42490 drive away at the moment for the diesel SR, I wouldn't call that overpriced, that motor while not as powerful makes a better spread of torque, well actually I can only base my assumptions on the D22 I had that was a 2.5 and my current 3.0 one, had about 750rpm of useful torque before you were either flogging it or it had no boost in the 2.5 and a little more in the 3.0, from what I have been told the hilux has about 2000rpm of useful torque, even more in the V6.

I still have my reservations about the 1KD-FTV though, if I buy a hilux it will be a V6, not many problems with that motor from what I can tell apart from a little drinking habit although its not to bad considering the performance you get.

Also I know the ranger has come up a few times but I would probably never buy one, when was the last time Ford made a really good reliable car and backed it up with good dealer support? Holden colorado is the same, since Isuzu stopped making the rodeo the cars are just not the same and I would never dream of buying one. Amarok is a bit of a wildcard, I'd say all that tech under its skin will just end up being the downfall of it ie: the DSG gearbox is always breaking on their other models and servicing costs usually run at about $450-1500+ depending on whats done.

So when you think about it theres really only a handful of utes that you can go and buy then take out to remote places with a fair bit of confidence they will get you back as they have all been around for a while (D22, D40, hilux, LC ute and maybe a defender).

Hilux is $42490 drive away at the moment for the diesel SR, I wouldn't call that overpriced, that motor while not as powerful makes a better spread of torque, well actually I can only base my assumptions on the D22 I had that was a 2.5 and my current 3.0 one, had about 750rpm of useful torque before you were either flogging it or it had no boost in the 2.5 and a little more in the 3.0, from what I have been told the hilux has about 2000rpm of useful torque, even more in the V6. [QUOTE

..........................................................................................

How can you compare a SR Hilux to any Navara they are so basic they dont even come with carpet!! they are more basic then the RX NAVARA. The ST is not even Nissan's most equipped Navara but still has more in it then the top of the line SR5 Hilux which has only just in the latest version had a facelift to include things like bluetooth.
I have two relos with the current SR5 Hilux's and another three really good mates with them and even all of those guys admit that my current ST NAVARA shits on the Hilux in power and especially the "spread of power" as you put it and freely admit that the power off the line and right up to 3500rpm has more pick up and pulls heaps harder, and thats coming from avid Toyota owners.

Personally i have driven their Utes on several occasions and just dont rate them at all, the seating position is horrible and the power seems to be all wrong, I found my self constantly paddling the gears to keep the power where i wanted it.

Another mate of mine who has owned nothing but Toyota's his whole life and allot of the older Hilux's rang me when he was driving the Hilux that his boss owned and said he would NEVER buy one and says that they are the greatest piece of shit ever.

I love my LN106 Hilux but im not very impressed with the new one what so ever, if they were as good as the hype i would of bought one as the money isnt really an issue BUT when they just are NOT worth the extra coin and are not that nice to drive i cant justify the price tag.

Do your self a favour and go and test drive both the current 140KW ST Navara and the current 126KW SR5 Hilux and while you at Toyota have a look at how basic the SR is and you may change your mind about the $42500 price tag when you can get a ST Navara for $38800.

..........................................................................................................

Last edited:
Sums it up nicely 180!!
I'm not that sold on the Amorok, not quite sure what it is about them or whether they're going to live up to the hype. All in all I love my D22 that's why I bought it, if it had coil strut instead of torsion bars it'd be so near to perfect none other would come even close :)

Cheers Brad

Do your self a favour and go and test drive both the current 140KW ST Navara and the current 126KW SR5 Hilux and while you at Toyota have a look at how basic the SR is and you may change your mind about the $42500 price tag when you can get a ST Navara for $38800.

Like I said it won't be a diesel if I get one, it will be the 4.0 V6 5 speed auto, the SR is a good all rounder I think, I was impressed with them (I own a D22 though...) carpet on the floor in a 4wd is just a PITA although not a factor I would really care to much about, I like most utes from both Nissan and Toyota I am not really biased either way, I would be happy to own any ute from each of them :redcool: also Isuzu for that matter.

All things considered there is no one size fits all so I am sure the OP will buy what is right for him.

Sums it up nicely 180!!
I'm not that sold on the Amorok, not quite sure what it is about them or whether they're going to live up to the hype. All in all I love my D22 that's why I bought it, if it had coil strut instead of torsion bars it'd be so near to perfect none other would come even close :)

Cheers Brad
And for $28999 atm they are a bargain for anyone on a tight budget.

I was looking for a fair while for a 4x4,
The only reason I went for a d40 was comfort for me! And price in some!
Tried
dmax - legs cramped due to centre console room, shame could of got engine performances cheap.
Hilux - small inside and massive blind spots. Work vehicle.
Colarado - dmax before newest model.
Patrol - weird driving position.
D22 - too small inside.
ford bt50 - small inside heavy on juice.
Land cruiser - too expensive.
Amarok - wanted but couldn't get and price in the end!

Tried them all! Just for fun!
Stay with D40!

just bought another D40 value for money plenty of power and lots of room lots of improvements since my 06 rx, And now even better with no turbo lag and traction control. if i had to buy a different model then maybe a ranger but only if they brought the price down a lot.

Also I know the ranger has come up a few times but I would probably never buy one, when was the last time Ford made a really good reliable car and backed it up with good dealer support? Holden colorado is the same, since Isuzu stopped making the rodeo the cars are just not the same and I would never dream of buying one.

Hmmmmm...I wasnt aware that Holden actually make the Colorado,
and,
Ford actually make the Ranger...

Quote "when was the last time Ford made a really good reliable car?"....

Territory, Falcon.....

Ford Ranger Space cab.
Nearly went that way when I brought my King Cab but found the cabin felt a little poky in the previous model. new one looks the goods and larger donk to!

When I was a kid we had a falcon as a family car, was pretty good till the gearbox shat itself, lately though I never read anything good about ford reliability or after sales support.

Not really sure about the Terrorstory, I personally don't like them but it hard to say the Failcon hasn't been a reliable car given the number of years and models it's been through.

When I was a kid we had a falcon as a family car, was pretty good till the gearbox shat itself, lately though I never read anything good about ford reliability or after sales support.

Have you bothered to read anything about them....

so one g/box puts down the ford name for ever does it..

Ford's biggest reliability issue is the staff they fill the dealerships with, couldn't rely on most of them to sell you anything.

Yeah I suppose with the sales staff changing dealerships/brand names so often it's gotta hit all of them.

I still can't think of too many shittier jobs, fancy trying to convince a prospective buyer that you know your product but are neither smart enough or trusted enough to work out the best sales deal without talking to the boss first. The fact that buyers have to keep playing the game indicates too many people fall for it.

I still couldn't buy another Ford but I could buy another Nissan.

Latest posts

Back