12V to tray

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archroach

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm seeking good advice! I'm pretty sure this has probably been covered somewhere already, but I didn't stumble upon anything in my brief search, so here goes!

I'm looking for some tips & direction on the best/easiest way to run power cable through to the tray of my S1 D22. I'm planning to use a Thumper secured back there to run a Fridge... and double as a great utility should I need to portable power at Campsite etc!

Any suggestions on the best way to set any of this up are eagerly sought!

Cheers & have a top weekend!!

Rog

I think you'll find anyone who's done it has run the cable down the chassis rail and popped it up into the tub through the grommets provided or ones they have made themselves.

Not sure on the D22's but the D40 have two grommets at the bottom of the front wall. I don't remember too many people suggesting they drilled holes so there is bound to be something there.

I ran power to my tray. I ran a 12V cable from the front, behind the console under the handbrake and then popped it up behind the rear sets inside a circuit breaker box. There was an earth point behind the seat belt so i ran that inside the box to the earth strap. Used House breakers purely as isolator switch and not safety device. Then went under the rear seat inside some conduit up into the tub. This was all to run my tub lights. I ran extra cables in the conduits because i knew id need them for my now reverse lights and reverse camera.

Works well for me......

Attachments

• PA170071.jpg
    PA170071.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 262
  • PA150042.jpg
    PA150042.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 221
  • PA150052.jpg
    PA150052.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 236
  • PA170059.jpg
    PA170059.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 253
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 206
There are only a few things to really focus on:

1) Make sure you put fuses on BOTH ends of the cable. Thermal-reset breakers are good.

2) Make sure you put an isolator up the front to prevent the thumper from discharging through to the main battery, and vice versa.

3) Ensure that anywhere that your cabling passes through metal, you use grommets to protect against chafing.

4) Make sure your cabling is heavy enough to take the current without too much loss of voltage. Typically 6-8sqmm is good.

Thanks so much for your advice guys! That's really set my mind to the task now, with some framework and knowledge of what to look for! Great work!!

Cheers!

Rog

i plan on running mine through chassis rail and bringing it into tub via tail lights into a circuit breaker/power outlet box

The way I would run it depending on battery location but you would try put the battery in easiest to get to location. So closest to tailgate. Run it from engine bay off ur smart splendid through a grommet in firewall, follow it down the drivers side door sill, then duck it under the drivers seat through the grommet provided the shoot it up the chassis rail, to the required location in the tub. This is exactly what I have done for my rust prptection unit.

Yep what all of these guys have said. That and always make sure how you do it, it is done right. Nothing worse then doing it to make it work, then 6 months later trying to make it a bit more decent due to faults or something.

Mitch

Bloody brilliant... I can't be sittin' around a Camp fire, havin' a few brewskies and discussing it with you guys, so this's the massive benefit of having such a forum! Love you work!!

Rog

i plan on running mine through chassis rail and bringing it into tub via tail lights into a circuit breaker/power outlet box

X2 ran mine to back of tail lights and drilled hole through to tub and mounted 2 plugs there is a photo on here of it

Another thing to condider is you want the length of wire to be as short as possible.

I mounted my redarc just rearward of the battery (factory captive nuts) and run the wire straight down into the cassis rail (follow brake/fuel lines). The aux battery is mounted right up the front drivers side of the tub. Gromet and silicon to stop rubbing and leaking.

Latest posts

Back