Zd30 Snorkel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonot

NF Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're planning a trip to the Cape. I don't have a snorkel and think I'll need one. I'm tossing up between a plastic jobbie or a stainless. I'm leaning towards stainless because I like the look, but thought I'd check here for opinions.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Do I need to upgrade my airbox as well?
2. Will a 4 inch stainless give better performance than a plastic snorkel?
3. Has anyone tried the cheap ebay snorkels? Are they ok?
4. Can anyone recommend a business in Brisbane (preferably on the northside) that makes stainless snorkels at a reasonable price (or maybe a member who can make one that would like some extra cash)?

Thanks

Snorkels perform two tasks - they keep the air intake above water, and they draw cooler air into the airbox than what is available in the engine bay. If you're not going to go wading through water, the snorkel is not essential, but drawing cooler air is helpful.

The trick with snorkels is not so much the material it's made of, but the join between it and the airbox. Most installers leave this join "loose" which may allow water to get in. If you're going to go into really deep water, your snorkel-to-airbox join really does need to be watertight.

Other than that, it's up to you. We've seen reports of the cheaper snorkels (made from non-UV-stable plastics) degrading rapidly under our sun - whereas the "big names" tend to last well. Personally, I have a Nissan (rebadged Airtec) snorkel on mine (it's plastic) and it's in perfect condition, installed by the dealer when we purchased the car new in 2009.

Another couple of things to be aware of with water crossings: the radiator and the front brake discs. The trick (I've found) is to use the brakes very sparingly when approaching a water crossing, and enter the water very slowly (using a wading bra also helps). The problem in water is that water is much more dense than air and your radiator fan will deflect more when it's submerged and if there's enough deflection of the blade tips, it will eat away at the back of the radiator.

No issues with the airbox. Water's been in - I had to clean it out - but it's designed to handle that (comes in from the snorkel intake). There is a tiny hole in the bottom that will allow water to leak out (slow drip) so it can handle rain events without any drama. We've driven along in huge downpours (like, it was really hard to see where we were going with the wipers going flat out) and didn't have any issues at all.

What it doesn't handle is being dunked when the snorkel-to-airbox connection isn't watertight. That will allow lots of water to enter the box at once, which will just destroy the air filter and enter the engine. It's pretty much bye-bye engine at that point. Hydraulic lock can bend con rods, and there won't be a lot of warning. Worst part about it is that the engine stops while you're underwater, which means water will start filling the car while you're waiting for recovery to happen and that could see the end of more than just the motor.

Two ways to avoid that: seal the snorkel-to-airbox join properly, or don't go into deep water! Personally I don't recommend entering fast moving water at all, and I definitely don't recommend entering water you can't see the bottom of (or haven't walked already to find the big holes you can't see).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220314-120700_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220314-120700_Google.jpg
    743.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20220304-180136_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220304-180136_Google.jpg
    615.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20220311-150726_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220311-150726_Chrome.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 18
On a side note, I recently got a quote from a major classic car insurer.
I have another policy with them so maybe that is why they were happy to quote for the Navara?
I provided a fairly extensive list of accessories and modifications including 2" lift, bullbar and winch however forgot all about the snorkel.
When I called back to accept the quote and pay, I mentioned the snorkel and the premium increased by 50 odd bucks.
Despite a fair chunk of the car being cut off to install the bullbar (D40), I was informed that was an accessory however the snorkel was a modification because a hole was cut in the guard.
Their perogative as the client with a snorkel is probably a greater "risk".
It was my perogative end up with insurance elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back