ZD30 Low on power

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a thought, could their be a link between a malfunctioning boost sensor and turbo failure? My nav has never run this well, I am 99% sure the sensor has been faulty since ive owned the vehicle, about 30,000kms as it has always been low on power, just thought that was the way it was, but after driving my mates, it prompted me to investigate a bit further, as his was more powerful. Any thoughts?

mmm, interesting. I had a bit of a read of the engine control system philosophy in the workshop manual. According to the manual, the boost sensor does nothing in regard to engine control, that is it is only used for high and low pressure detection and throws an error code if detected, it does not actually dictate how much fuel is added by the fuel pump. In 'Normal' control (ie not starting or idling) the only inputs the ECM looks at is Crankshaft Position Sensor, Accelerator Position Sensor and Vehicle Speed Sensor. My boost sensor did not throw an error code (only when unplugged) in normal operation. The boost sensor gives a linear proportional voltage output ranging from 0.5V @ 13.3kPa and 5V @ 253.3kPa (1.9psi to 36.7psi). I am going to check my old one for the output signal, but as I said, it did not bring up an error code with the scan tool the diesel place had, it did however when we unplugged it. The power increase after changing it was substantial, but I have no figures to back this up with, but I can say I have been very close to selling the car because of the low power, but now am completely happy with it. I will keep digging in the manual but if anyone has any other thoughts on what the boost sensor actually does i would like to know.

Its a tad wierd how they work.

Mine never threw up a fault when the MAP sensor hose came off.

Dave.

Dave, what was your power like when the hose came off?

what really interests me is that the ECU does not measure air flow into the engine (according to the manual)

boost sensor is used for fueling. it is mentioned in the manual.
if i remember right the ecu ignores the first fault. the part has to fail twice before the ecu flags a code. thats to reduce false errors.

Latest posts

Back