ZD30 Low on power

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonk8

Reaction score
I am starting to get a little bit frustrated and worn down with the lack of power in my ZD30. I find it really draining to drive, particulary around town and on the open road where a slight hill will cause the car to slow down. We have (dare i say it) hiluxes at work with the D4D engines and I just wish mine was as responsive and smooth as that engine. I got mine looked at last week cause I was sure something was wrong with it, but it tested fine. I have a rebuilt engine, new turbo, intercooler, rebuilt fuel pump and egr mod. Is this all in my mind? I drove my mates the other day of similar vintage and it just felt much easier to drive. I am thinking the EGR mod has taken some power away but I only have god to back me up on that and unfortunately no numbers.

So what do I do to solve the problem? I know its not a V8 but I would just like a bit more to make it a bit easier to drive without feeling like the engine is straining. The only things I can really do is the exhaust, chip and revised air intake system.

Before I waste money on any of these things, I would just like to know if anyone here put an exhaust and chip on and drove away with a big smile? I have read previous posts, but i'm not sold, I read alot of good things and alot of bad things. I guess with chips they have a money back guarantee.

This has come to a head as i'm looking at doing a few big trips and was going to get set up with all the accessories required, but is the vehicle i've got the right one to start with?

As far as I can tell, you have two choices mate.

1. Fit the chip and exhaust, the gains are well documented here and seem worthwhile. (I plan to do these myself, exhaust first).

2. Decide you need to get rid of the Navara and buy something else that you are only going to end up modding anyway? (God forbid another Toyota convert!!).

I'd go with the former personally. The choice is yours I guess?????

Good luck whichever way you go.

I am starting to get a little bit frustrated and worn down with the lack of power in my ZD30. I find it really draining to drive, particulary around town and on the open road where a slight hill will cause the car to slow down. We have (dare i say it) hiluxes at work with the D4D engines and I just wish mine was as responsive and smooth as that engine. I got mine looked at last week cause I was sure something was wrong with it, but it tested fine. I have a rebuilt engine, new turbo, intercooler, rebuilt fuel pump and egr mod. Is this all in my mind? I drove my mates the other day of similar vintage and it just felt much easier to drive. I am thinking the EGR mod has taken some power away but I only have god to back me up on that and unfortunately no numbers.

to see if its the EGR mod causing it simply undo the mod.
btw did you do the butterfly mod as well as block the egr?

did you replace the injectors?

end of the day the problem with the ZD30 is its underfuelled in the lower rpm's, which gives it that 3000rpm powerband. onyl way to fix it totoally is to chip it. most people report thats it now drives like a normal diesel ie no need to drop a gear to go up the hill.
exhaust is recommended as the stock one chokes the motor. also an intercooler is recommened as they run quite high boost.

I have a bog standard ZD30 with 180k on it - its a bit slow off the mark compared to a Paj or Prado but then I dont care really. Most importantly I rarely have to change down going up a standard hill - i have to going up something a bit steeper - but I have to in late model hiluxs too.

Personally I think you expect too much from what is essentially a small oil-burner, and you should be looking at a bus with a bigger power plant - just remember that all that power comes at a cost: fuel, engine wear etc!

nakedape

I have a 2.75" exhaust thru to turbo back and just did the EGR block over the weekend. Exhaust did open up the rev's a little when first on and has helped. Less compression and it scoots thru the revs quite well.

EGR mod has also made the engine feel a little 'looser' in low 1st and 2nd gears. Easy mod and so far seems beneficial.

Its not a rocket - never will be. Are other vehicles faster - probably. I agree with Yakka's and nakedape's points. I'm pretty happy with mine. Good luck

Thanks for the replies.

Tweak, i was thinking about reversing it, but I just don't want all that soot through the motor, and yes, I also did the butterfly mod and got new injectors. Its good that you described what I have experienced, in that not much happens from 0 - 3000rpm, if the exhaust and chip fixed that problem I would be very happy. Don't get me wrong, I am overall happy with the car but would just like to solve the power issue, not by alot, just by a bit more (im not really a rev head) so it gives a linear acceleration accross the rev range. I have run a few sums, to change over to a new vehicle and have the accessories I already have, it looks like it will be out of the budget anyway, considering I just spent $2k on suspension. So, I guess what I really want to know is if the exhaust and chip worth it or will I be wasting a couple grand? Can anyone else who have made these modifications provide me with details on their experience?

Cheers

Last edited:
Just a thought.

Last night I was driving at 2am on the New England highway and all of a sudden I hear a boost leak, anyway I was about 2km's from a servo so slowed down to 20km/h and crawled to the servo.

Any I get there and needed a torch as my mate had borrowed it, you know the one who borrows things and never returns things. Anyway I bought the torch, !@#$%^& $35 for a dolphin torch and look all over the motor and intercooler piping.

Anyway I discovered that the MAP sensor hose had come off. So I pushed it back on and cabled tied it on to hold it tight until I got into Singleton. Drove into Singleton and stopped at another servo and bought a fuel line clamp and done it up real tight.

However the ute wasn't at fault as the guy who I got to install the intercooler used a crap cheap clamp.

When I heard the boost leak I got no dash lights and no warning there was a problem, I just heard the problem.

Moral of the story is that the MAP sensor being faulty wont register on the dash.

Dave.

Good tip dave. Funny story, when I was getting mine tested the other week, the mechanic broke the pipe off the sensor when inserting a boost guage. They are ordering me a new one (none in the country!). So, i guess you never know, this may be a problem, hopefully find out next this week. Just to clarify, by MAP sensor you mean Boost Sensor, the one that goes in the intercooler pipe?

if your leaking boost you should be able to see it on the boost guage.

simon did you have a look at my dyno sheet i sent you in the pm.

yeah i did, thats for that Ash. Do you have one that compares to the standard figures?

the only other one i have shows standard power at 100rwhp and after the gas was fitted 134 rwhp, but my 2 dyno's were on different days and times of the year.

but on the day i had the chip fitted it ran 104 rwhp and 600lbs or torque.
chipped 124rwhp at 800lbs of torque.
chip and gas 134.1rwhp at 960lbs of torque

but on the day i had the chip fitted it ran 104 rwhp and 600lbs or torque.
chipped 124rwhp at 800lbs of torque.
chip and gas 134.1rwhp at 960lbs of torque

Was the extra 20rwhp significantly noticable when driving?

IMO Gas will be the most noticeable power gain you can do to the ZD30. When I did mine, I was very impressed with the power gain. A chip will not give you the same seat of the pants feel. When you do the gas mod, you have to replace a large section of the exhaut pipe to get around the gas tank so you may as well do the whole lot from the turbo back.

Well I got my boost sensor replaced today after they broke the tip off when I was having the engine tested a while ago. It now feels like a new car! I don't think the sensor has ever been working correctly, the nav has never had this much power. I think the output signal from the sensor was too low causing a perceived low boost reading to be interpreted by the ECU, even though the turbo was making good boost by reading the pressure on a guage. So am very happy with it now, although I have just ordered a chip and exhaust, i wonder if it will have too much power soon! Also just fitted 2" suspension, so now the nav is much more enjoyable to drive.

id rather not talk about it! but since you ask, about $140. I bet nizzbits would be cheaper, but since i thought the diesel place was going to replace it for free cause they broke the old one, I didn't get another price. Turns out the sensor was stuffed anyway, so happy to pay them the money since they found the cause of the lack of power.

Well the GU guys carry a spare air flow metre, so why not.

Might buy one and see if there is a difference.

Cheers for the info Simon.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back