Your brake fluid may look clean, but is it?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navmania

Reaction score
Hi all. Thought I would post this as a heads up to the condition of your brake fluid. I fitted a full set of extended braided brake lines today and thought I would give the brake fluid a complete flush while I was at it. I knew it needed to be done but didn't look to bad in the master cylinder reservoir. Wow. When I flushed the system the fluid was not good and shows the need to change it. Check out the before and after samples.

image-813336385.jpg

This is what was drained.

image-3578276955.jpg

This is the old fluid (the dark one) and the lighter one is a second flush just to make sure it was all out.

The new fluid is almost clear now.
It goes to show you can't judge the condition by what's in the master cylinder. I have changed the clutch fluid before because I could see the discoloration in the master and held out changing the brakes. I think I will be changing it every two years or so from now on.

These are the new lines I fitted

image-3938397866.jpg

image-3055722394.jpg

Before. (Would be a bit tight on full lock I think)

image-1756894330.jpg

New lines (heaps of room to move now)

Cheers.

Best buy yourself x2 calliper kits and pop the pistons ! I'll bet you a slab the bottom one's will be seized !

cheers zed

Just a heads up - I've always wanted to drill/tap a bleeder into the lower piston. Guarantees you will get any moisture out but doing so wont remove the "o ring" gum that settles in the lower piston sleave " and that if not rust will seize the lower piston, and In doing so favour the upper piston which will distort the wear paten of the pad and overheat the rotors.. That's just my observation on doing mine last week and the same for the d21 I had...
so if the car I own is un know and over 150'000k's it's a must do for me" ... I brought a vac bleeding pump" a must for bringing the peddle up on the front callipers the rear can be done and should be done if they are drum by having ya' mate hit the peddle... the nissans "I" find can be buggers to rid of air in the front lines and the vac solves this easily..
Would anyone else like to share if they have ever bleed the breaks only to have the peddle hit the floor when you put your foot on it whist the motors running....Had me tossed when I first did the d21 years ago , must have used 2lt to do a full service ...

Yeah I changed all my lines to braided. So I vacuumed out all the fluid first them fitted the new lines, then vacuumed the new fluid back through. I know what you mean by the rears I couldn't get the air out using the vacuum bleeder so I did it the old school way at the end. The peddle still feels a bit spongy so I may have to go around again. I will check the workings of the front calipers first. This was the first change since new. 4 years, 120000k. So they could be in a bad way. What do you do to stop the air getting in through the treads on the nipples using the vacuum bleeder. I have read to use a silicon grease but have no idea of where to get it.
Any ideas.

Cheers.

I'm really unsure if I wanna do these lines or leave it to my mechanic. Problem is my brother has a braided set for his patrol that we were gonna do at the same time. Any tips/tricks to getting it right first time as this is the daily driver for the wife. Also th cars due for a service very soon anyway

If their will be two of you it will be a bit easier to bleed the lines. To change them all you need is a 10mm flair nut spanner and a 8mm spanner for the rear bleed nipples. Just loosen the flair nuts on the solid lines before you take any retaining clips or bolts out. You need the solid lines held tight to get the flair nuts loose. Make sure the copper washers for front caliper hose connections don't get damaged or lost or replace them if they are supplied. If you plan to change the fluid often it is worth getting yourself a vacuum bleeder. I got one from Repco for $99, it makes life a lot easier. I did mine not rushing at all in about 2 hours from start to finnish.
If you need any more info just yell out.

Latest posts

Back