Wrong accessories on delivery - what would you do?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevodevo

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well I went and picked my brand new D22 yesterday and I couldn't be happier... well a little bit happier I suppose...

I started a thread here (http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?p=217964#post217964) prior to placing my order to figure out what style of tonneau cover to go for. Consensus seemed to be with the newer style that doesn't need holes drilled into the side of the tub so I went for that figuring I could always switch to the older style if I wanted to in future. Anyway, cut a long story short, when I went to collect it yesterday the first thing I saw was the wrong tonneau installed.

All I could do was laugh, but we all agreed it was wrong and would need to be rectified by replacing the whole tub when I bring it in for the first service. They did have a very half hearted attempt to do a deal for a free first service if I kept the current tonneau, but that didn't really do it for me and I'm really keener to have the newer style on preference, and just because that's what I ordered.

Which leads me to my question... what would you have done in my situation? I've left my options open by getting the agreed solution in writing, so I can alway change my mind and take a different approach - it would have to be more than a free service though.

If the type of cover wasn't exactly specified on the paperwork I'd have taken whatever they offered and run with it, especially if they were offering a new tub.

Technically unless an accessory is written down with an exact model, type, part number or some other identifying factor the dealership could have told you that you got a cover and that's what your ordered. To a prick of a dealer cost, logic and morals doesn't have to come into it, dotted i's and crossed t's does.

When you consider they want $300 ish for a service and that to them the different cover doesn't really change anything because it's not their ute I'd suggest that one maybe two services is all you'll get for their stuff up, they wont throw anything in that will actually cost them money.

It's pretty clearly specified on the order form what type was ordered... nobody's questioning that. By irreversibly modifying the body I reckon it's as clear as ordering a white car and getting a black one.

Thanks for the reply though... I'll put that down as one vote for going with what I went with.

Just a quick side note. When you take the car back to have the right tub fitted, get someone to do a quick inspection of the panel work as you would if you were hiring a car. The useless tools at the dealership where I purchased a Patrol once cocked up the accessories order. When the car went back to have them fitted came with a bonus scratch over the guard when I got it back which they refused to do anything about because the car had been out of there yard for 1000K. Complained to Nissan Australia - no one cared.

Yes if that is what you wanted and ordered it. It's there obligation to rectify it.

Know a bloke who ordered a Nissan Xtrail diesel man. Goes to pick it up as he sits iin it discovers it's an Auto. Walks straight back in "hey guys I orderd a manual" and so the paper work said. Told them to take it back and get a manual. Would of been a painful f up for the dealer considering the it was allready registered in his name.

Thanks for everyone's replies. Yeah I suppose I was just doing a sanity check and making sure I wasn't just being a difficult prick. I'm also kinda thinking if I put it out here, one of you guys might just have a better suggestion that works for both parties. I've noticed lots of very practical people inhabit 4x4 forums...

They will ust use a tub they have pulled off anoter vehicle to put a tray onto. would be a shit of a job changing them over but at the end of the day it's their mistake not yours. You have spent a lot of money and were specific with them on what you wanted. Don't lose sleep over it mate, they won't go bankrupt over it.

If their not smart enough to fit the right accesories to a brand new car should you trust them to do your servicing?

I picked up my D22 last saturday, the EXACT same thing happened regarding the tonneau.

I ordered and paid for the "holden style click" VS the much dated looking "bungy strap & pin"

When I got there to pick up, I knew it was wrong immediately, explained it to my sales rep and he was more then apologetic. On my first 1000km service/check up they are going to completely swap the rear tub with another one in stock.

happy costumer!

Yes if that is what you wanted and ordered it. It's there obligation to rectify it.

Know a bloke who ordered a Nissan Xtrail diesel man. Goes to pick it up as he sits iin it discovers it's an Auto. Walks straight back in "hey guys I orderd a manual" and so the paper work said. Told them to take it back and get a manual. Would of been a painful f up for the dealer considering the it was allready registered in his name.
How the fk do you miss something as big as that :rofl2:

Before I bought my navaras I was going to buy a VW polo TSI with sport pack (which was $1500 of stuff like alloys, sports suspension ect) the dealer (Northstar VW in Brisbane) had this sheet thing over it and when they pulled it off it was missing the factory fitted sport pack, I had done it all over the phone and looked at pictures they told me was that car which turned out it obviously wasn't. The icing on the cake was when the salesman and dealer principle had to get a brochure out and compare it to the car to see what a sport pack was...

Anyway they told me I had to wait for them to get another car off some boat out in the ocean with a 5 week wait and they were not obligated to rescind the contract despite obviously having no ****ing idea. I got a Solicitor involved and sent them some nasty letters saying if they did not return my deposit I'd take them to court and they would be liable for all expenses ect. Must have worked cause I got my money back and never heard from them again.

Just picked up d22 with flat tonneau, when the sales rep was adding the options to the order he just picked the "soft" tonneau not the under tub liner option. this was after much discussion about the new flat style not the old bungee one. luckily i asked the question or i would have been in the same boat.

Of interest, D22 trays have the VIN Number pressed into the floor, So if you get another tray, ikt will have a VIN from another vehicle. Easily expained but does not look crash hot on a new vehicle.

If it were me, i would keep the original tray and Bungee type and negotiate some type of compensation, say free Service and floor mats or similar.

Good Luck.

Greg

Yeah good point ST-R, I've noticed the number stamped into the tub and have been meaning to check the significance of it. So it's the VIN eh? That does make it a bit more interesting...

If I was looking for a VIN number the tray wouldn't be the first place I would take it from...

If they replace the tub they should match the VIN or match the paperwork. A non matching VIN could cause unnecessary BS later if the ute is involved in accidents or any number of other scenarios, however it wont be BS that can't be proven with time. But that doesn't excuse Nissan from matching the VIN or making the paper work match up.

We had a trailer VIN changed in the Vic Roads car park, it's not a difficult process when done by the right people at the right time but it saves headaches later.

Latest posts

Back