Who's interested in cheaper arctic style flares?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
been speaking with my man tonight and he seems pretty keen, also seems to think he should be able to keep them down around the $500 a set plus postage which is awsome news. I thought they would be a bit dearer than that but he seems to think its doable at this stage so thats good news. He would probably like 10 serious people before he starts the project to help cover initial start up costs of the product. so well keep an eye on his thread and see how we go.
now back to the good stuff. 50mm seems to be the width of choice at this stage, is that wide enough? have you guys taken into account if you change the offset of your wheels to a decent offset and a slightly wider tyre ?
I have to change rear suspension bushes some time this week :( so i might throw an old set of wheel on while its on jacks and see the differents a offset change will make.
Also being this is going to be made from scratch what is the preferred profile of the flare?
square and flat like the arctic ones for the navara or round and bubbly like the hilux version.
We can do either but will only do one due to costs so throw out your opinions please guys.
I still think the taper at the front to meet the standard bar/bumper is the go but.

let me know it will be some time before this kicks off its not a quick wack up job it will take considerable time to produce the first ones but thats cause he is picky and will want them to be perfect.

He also mentioned carbon fibre flares :D once the mould is made it is quiet easy to do cf sets of these also but the cost will be much higher for people chasing those.
they will be stronger than plastic but i still would not buy the cf ones for that reason being we are 4x4ers and break everything eventually no matter how strong lol but for those who want a different look it could be an option for you a red nav with carbon fibre flares would look hawt imo and the weave he gets in his cf products is excellent so consistent and uniformed.

right let me know guys, Cheers
Dale

Im not sure what everyone else thinks or how hard it would be to design and make but what about making a slightly larger inner arch diameter on the new ones. What i mean is make more tyre clearance, ie behind the front tyres and infront of the back tyres(or even both front and back of the rear flares). For the d22 flares that is.

As i have noticed on a few threads on here that people usually trim away sections of both these areas when fitting 33s and up so they get better tyre clearance when the suspension flexs. Like JOSHMAN has done to his d22 even after 2"suspension and 2" bodylift to fit 285/75s. Just thought might be handy to not only cover a wider wheel/tyre combo but for a larger tyre size.

C70E581D-B19A-4852-ABFA-0AA2ED944773-19099-0000209BAE5DD7EE_zps9ed3e9f1.jpg

Heres a pic of a frontier i found on the net of its front arches which is similiar to what i mean but actually design it to make a similiar profile not just cut away.

5A2F6A59-942C-4EAD-B9E6-9579C87D91B6-19099-0000209BC3B734E9_zpsbd84da7b.jpg

Anyways just thought id offer my 2cents worth.

Bart

Last edited:
so do you mean actually make the opening bigger. ill have a look at joshmans thread tonight and see what you mean.

so do you mean actually make the opening bigger. ill have a look at joshmans thread tonight and see what you mean.

not so much making the opening bigger overall, but change the profile of the inside arch curve. to prevent scrubbing on flex and steering while flexing.

so if you look side on to the car (like on the picture of the silver d22 in my previous comment) the flares taper in a bit more towards the body giving you more tyre clearance. i will try photoshop what i mean and load that up

Bart

no i see what you mean now. just dont know if everyones going to want that. whats everyone elses opinion on this

Will definitely be interested in these I have been searching everywhere but no1 wants a bar of it.. I reckon there would be plenty of buyers out there for that price aswell..

I'm interested about D40 flare fenders. Could you tell us what will be the cost & will be possible to ship to Spain ?

d40detall1.jpg

Once we have it all underway we are more than happy to post to spain, Unfortunately for you the d40 will come after d22 purely due to more d22 owners wanting them than d40 owners.

I have been a bit slack guys and havent kept on top of this, the bloke that runs the show should be back now so ill see if we can get something moving on this. between a house reno fulltime work still half running my old business from home and the most feral 2yr old you will ever see ive been lacking in time lol.
Once again any suggestion to these please speak up now like widths, tapering off back section for more clearance etc. majority opinion will dictate how these are built.
cheers Guys
Dale

all right just finished talking to the main man and he seems keen as mustard on getting these d22 flares happening as soon as possible. as said it will still take some time before there ready for sale. I will try rip the front wheels off my nav this week/weekend at latest and see if 50mm is enough with a different offset wheel. I think it will be any you guys seem pretty keen on the 50 mm extra so at this stage i think we will stick with that.

again do we want a similar shape to the original or do we want the exact same shape with just a 50mmspacer for lack of a better word at the gaurds. sort of a flat 50mm then to standard shape or more bubbly like the hilux style ones on the arctic trucks.
opinions please.
as soon as we make final decisions on that sort of thing ill let him know and try to get a eta :)

I'd be keen to see what they look like as well. I like a little more bubbly but the D22s are boxy. It'll be interesting to see what you mate comes up with!!!

I agree with the above photo. Same lip at the top with more angle to get the extra 50mm. You could even keep the flat part the same at the front and bring it out 10mm at the rear to help it line up with the bullbar

ok so i made the sugestion about a possible design to increase wheel/tyre clearance on the new flares. as i have seen a number of people that even after fitting 2' suspension and 2' body lifts have trimmed up the front and rear guards to stock tyre scrub on the flares. just did a quick photoshop so that people know what i mean to see if anyone agrees of disagrees with this idea.

its only a quick attempt and it would depend on how easy it would be for qqc d22 and his mate to design and make the flares like this. the first photo is unedited (40mm suspension lift and 265/75r16 tyres) and the second is edited with a different profile tothe lower sections of the front and rear flares(rear flares only at the front, the rear section could be done aswell, upto the majority i guess).

S6300471_zps106e45f7.jpg

S6300471copy_zpsa467707c.jpg

if the were made like this then new mudflaps would be needed, although id say you would need new mudflaps with etended flares anyways.

well anyways just thought id put it up to give everyone an idea of what i was talking about. if you are going to the trouble to buy extended flares to fit wider tyres why not get flares that also allow for larger diameter tyres aswell.
NOTE. the edited pic does not have any actual width added to the flares (not extended).

Bart

what do people think about the above post? it can be done but dont want to do it if most people would rather standard opening. he may be able to make the standard shape then have a infill to add to the mold to make the opening bigger for those who want it. dont know if we can do that for sure as he has never tried it. So we would rather make the most popular first either way

talking to my guy again. what about instead of tapering it to meet standard bumper/bullbar we make it 50mm wider all round and also make a bit that fits the bumper to keep it the same width as the flare and for those of us with bullbars (all of us lol :p) we trim that bit to suit our bars and attach it to the bullbar to keep the shape running all the way through.
were just a bit worried now it will look weird tapering off at the front and not following the line all the way through :(
opinions please, sooner we can decide on exactly what to make sooner we can start making
cheers

okay I lust didnt know if people would want the extension bit on there bullbar but it will probably look best. hopefully he will have some sketches or rendered pics soonish

Latest posts

Back