who's been contacted by YD25.com

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navmania

Reaction score
Just wondering how many forum members have done the YD25 double row timing chain conversion and have been contacted about the upgrade to the kit.
I would like to commend Paul from YD25.com for contacting me about the changes to the kit and from what I think is great customer service. My Navara has been booked in to get the upgrades done totally free of charge. I have checked out their updated website and it looks like the kit has had a massive upgrade in quality and strength. I am not sure if the older kits have had some issues but for them to come and do the complete upgrade free of charge is a big plus in my book. some other companies not naming names could take a leaf from his book. I will keep you all posted on the outcome.

Cheers

I don't think its a recall as such because I haven't heard of any problems. I think there have been issues with parts from overseas if the website is anything to go by. Even if it is just to be safe rather than sorry I think its still a good move.

He is a really top bloke.

I started speaking with him many months before the kit was first used, and I was super impressed with his knowledge and the improvements the kit had over standard and the other double row kits available.

Last time I did speak to him, he mentioned upgrades to the tensioner they had made that were going to be implemented. Not repairs, but something to make it even better than it is standard.

I thought one of the main causes of failure on the stock single row chains were due to Tensioner problems? so i wonder why yd25.com only use the standard nissan tensioners in there double row kits??

I thought one of the main causes of failure on the stock single row chains were due to Tensioner problems? so i wonder why yd25.com only use the standard nissan tensioners in there double row kits??

I think the earlier tensioners had a oil feed problem like the feed hole being to small or something along those lines. If you read on the website it states that some of the mechanics installing the kits are noticing wear on the sprockets and chains. they have now upgraded to billet high tensile steel sprockets and germen built chains, apparently the same company that build the chains for Lamborghini.

Cheers

I think the earlier tensioners had a oil feed problem like the feed hole being to small or something along those lines. If you read on the website it states that some of the mechanics installing the kits are noticing wear on the sprockets and chains. they have now upgraded to billet high tensile steel sprockets and germen built chains, apparently the same company that build the chains for Lamborghini.

Cheers

Thanks mate i will have a better read, what's the price of the kits anyway?

Thanks mate i will have a better read, what's the price of the kits anyway?

I think I paid something like $1750 non trade. I don't know if the new kits are going to be any more due to the upgrades.
if they are the same price you would be by the sounds of it getting a far better kit. Are you thinking of fitting one to yours?

I think I paid something like $1750 non trade. I don't know if the new kits are going to be any more due to the upgrades.
if they are the same price you would be by the sounds of it getting a far better kit. Are you thinking of fitting one to yours?

Not at the moment mate, my 40 only has 40k on it so i should be ok for a few more k's, really just wanted to know so if ever the time comes i know what im up for.

Yeah it's a big decision. I did mine because I plan to try and get more power out of it, so peace of mind really.

Im also hoping the few improvements nissan have done will have help get more life out of the chains a little more.
Also i dont keep my cars long enough really i will sell this one when it get around 100k on it< BUT if i do end up keeping it its something i would definitely want to do.

I think unless you plan on keeping it don't waste your money. Mine was done at 100k and could have done another 100k I reckon. Unless you are planing to do power mods and put the engine under more stress than the average owner and do 500k than it probably not worth it. My Nav tows 90% of the time and dose big k's on any one trip because its only used for big trips now. It's to expensive to replace all the time so I got a cheaper daily driver so the Nav can sit covered in the shed till the next trip.

oh so you are kind of worried yours may fail? :ha:

No not really, as I've said before it is something that I should be aware of due to the fact there has been problems with SOME YD motors, I'm not going to bury my head in the sand about it BUT I'm also not going to loose sleep about something that MAY happen.
I have never said I think a single row bicycle chain is the best idea nissan have ever had but they have made some changes to the tensioners and the shaft the gear sits on, so maybe the late models won't be as problematic.

You have to remember 180 is that my only debate with you was that you said EVERY YD motor WILL have problems and according to you it's not a question of IF but WHEN.
That is the statement I disagreed with, never have I said its all a myth.

Last edited:
but it is a case with any motor when it will fail not if.

it depends on a number of factors when it fails however.

I myself am now in a similar dilemma, its no secret I am probably going to buy a new gutlux (when the time is right), however toyota have just discontinued nearly all of the 4.0 v6 models which strangely is one of their most reliable motors in Australia atm. So I have to get a D4D now if I want a brand new lux which is fine just everyone knows their injectors are not the best and I will have to leave like $1500 aside to replace the clutch with a decent one should I get a manual...

I wish Nissan would just put a decent motor in the D22 again, I would buy a D22 with the 3.0CR ZD30 in a heartbeat, with the auto tranny to while they are at it cause I'd rather buy another Nissan than Toyota just they really leave me no option cause I hate D40's, rangers, amaroks, BT50's tritons and pretty much everything bar the current hilux and D22.

Why don't you just buy a new D22 and put the $1700 aside for the timing chain conversion. Other than that if you do EGR mod and catch can straight away you shouldn't have to many problems. If you buy a Toyota you will have to join their forum. Now that's a problem. :)

already a member of new hilux mate, I trawl heaps of car forums through the day lol

I had planned on getting a single cab D22 but for $32000 (best they could do) I was $3000 off a SR hilux single cab which has heaps more features/much safer and I could get an auto if I wanted to.

anyway my latest plan is to get a dual cab SR auto in blue and do it up like this guys xtra cab

Yeah that's nice. They do look tuff with very little work. That's one thing with the Navara, it's harder to make it look tuff.

Paul contacted me and my d40 has been done. The new sprockets are so tuff they can't be filed with a normal file, the file just skips over the surface of the new sprockets, file a nissan sprocket and the file rips metal off. The german chain is faultless, the plates have highly polished edges that run on the guides this can be seen with magnifying glass, the wrap of the german chain on the new sprockets is perfect. I am amazed at the commitment to customer service Paul has displayed service u will not find any where else .

Latest posts

Back