wheel winch

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad possum

Reaction score
Here's something new I hadn't seen before. http://www.bushwinch.com.au/index.html

Bit pricier than I'd thought it would be, but does have the advantage of being able to winch forwards and backward, fast to set up and doesn't require a bullbar or mount points on the vehicle.

These have been around for a LOT of years, and I have always wondered - how do you install the thing when (for example) you are buried to your bellypan in mud, wheels 2/3 or 3/4 deep in the slop.

That's why you have a long-handled shovel on your roof rack. I guess it's not just to dig your passengers out of the car after it's sunk.

Now that I have a roof basket I'm going to add one myself, to add to my newly acquired maxx trax and Tough Toys awning.

But back to the original subject - I was interested in them but have heard a couple of stories about broken wheel studs and bent undercarriage. No clue as to who's telling the truth, I haven't seen the damage myself but I've seen them in action and I must say that straining the show from one side of the vehicle (and we're talking about quite some distance from the vehicle centreline) worries my engineering side somewhat.

If you had to do it, I would NEVER do it on a front wheel where the load of the vehicle's weight plus the force required to overcome the obstacle is passed through the steering linkages. If you're doing a winch pull, the strain is passed directly to the vehicle chassis along its centreline. With the hub something like a metre off the centreline, we're talking a significant amount of force involved at an angle and that won't be kind to the steering components.

yes i was thinking the same thing old tony. the system is only going to be as strong as the weakest link, which is probably some part of the mechanism that attaches the wheel to the vehicle/suspension. for the price of it tho, i'm not about to go and buy one.

My old man told me a long time ago about a similar thing they would do in the army in the late 60's - 70's.
IMO there is a number of issues that comes to mind, prob the most obvious is what if you are stuck and you have a issues with the driveline? or engine?
also being so low to the ground the rope is more susceptible to abrasion,
they would take some time to set up and in allot of cases that isnt a luxury you will have.
It isnt really practical for recovering another vehicle, actually im not sure it would work very well at all in that case.
with bull bars and winches so cheap now days i dont think i would bother.

the other thing is, what happens when one wheel spins faster then the other?
which is very likely in any uneven surface with any open or limo diff

yup, did i say 'pricey'? i think i'd prefer a normal winch which would cost less

Yeah i did see that and now i know you weren't kidding, but when i saw the actual price had to read it again to make sure i read it correctly :confused3:

Last edited:
For that price you could throw two tigerz11 winches on the car, one front and one at the back (under the tray, if you have one). Seriously though, a front and rear receiver with one of those winch cradle thingamyjiggers would be money better spent!!!

Brad

Exactly Brad, and most cars have a tow hitch so it would only mean retro fitting a receiver for the front.

So you could damage your vehicle and leave yourself stranded whilst trying to recover your stranded vehicle yourself, makes sense...............not ! What a stupid idea, poor engineering principals and concept/logic, not to mention the price !!

So you're stuck deep, have to dig out the correct wheel so that you can mount the unit to the wheel....in deep mud for example. Hmmm..

Then, the axle to which the thing is mounted needs a locked diff - otherwise as soon as load is applied, the wheel with least resistance will get the torque.

Throw in the price of two diff locks if you don't already have them.

To each their own I guess.

Absolutely Doc, I forgot about the diff locks myself. At $1500 each, this is a $4K solution.

It's not to say that winches can't damage the vehicle. Unless you use a winch properly, you could end in trouble (eg wrong shackles, hooking up to a tow ball, not using recovery dampeners etc), but they're simpler, closer to the centreline and in my view far more foolproof than this product.

You would have to get stuck facing a big tree to. I wouldn't think it would pull to good sideways. Then you would have to watch not to run the rope over with the front wheels once you got moving.

The idea is to have one on each rim, the kit comes with two wheels.

I am in no way a fan of it just thought i would mention that part.

Yeah I thought it would have two. But would be hard to pull sideways if the anchor point was off to the side you would think hay.
Yeah not a fan either.

The concept I reckon, is similar to a PTO winch. Wish they still had PTO's on regular 4wd's... Fast, reliable...

These were quite common on WW2 Ford and Chev blitzes.
Remember seeing video of them fitted to all 4 wheels and running across cable bridges also.

Latest posts

Back