Central Locking

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris

Reaction score
Hi guys
I'm sure this has been discussed, but I've come to the point of being sick of doing the Nissan door lock dance, i.e get out of the drivers door, go around get it the passenger door, shut the door, press the door lock button, get out close the passenger door lock it and walk away.
I've replaced both key-fob batteries this morning, tried all different things I've found on the net, key in ignition hold buttons in different ways, no joy.
One of the first things i noticed when this started happening, when you turn engine off and remove the key, the interior lights did not come on, maybe some fault with the barrel, don't know.
When you use the button inside all the doors lock, so no problem with all the door locks.
I've heard there is some sort of antenna or something, depending on who you ask and where you look on the net, that may need replacing, if so where do i find it.
The other thing i was going to look at doing was checking out the BCM unit, remove all the connections, check and clean them all. Firstly where to i find the BCM and is there anything i need to know about before i start on this, as i have seen messing about with this unit could cause other major issues, don't need any more.
Also noticed that locking the doors with the internal button the alarm doesn't set, so really would like to get this sorted out.
Any one with any info or can point me to any links for all of this much appreciated

The BCM controls a number of components, including direct (that is, no other system actually does the work) control of:

* Power door lock
* Remote unlock/lock
* Windows
* Interior room lamps
* Hazard light reminder when keyfob is used (one flash for "closed", two fast flashes for driver door "open" and two slow flashes for all doors "open" - count the syllables in the flashes (closed is one syllable, open is two).

If you can use the windows and the room lights come on when a door is open, the BCM is probably ok. If the keyfob doesn't cause any reaction at all (even the lights) then it's probably a communication issue with the BCM (see below). For completion, check some of the other systems controlled by the BCM.

The BCM also controls other components in conjunction with other systems:

With IPDM/ER (engine bay control centre near ABS unit)
* NATS anti theft system
* Headlights
* Park, license plate and tail lights
* Fog lamps (if fitted)
* Windscreen wipers and washer
* Rear window defogger

With Combination Meter (instrument cluster):
* Warning chime (eg low fuel, handbrake on when moving)
* Indicators and hazard warning lights

Test these and see if they're working - if they all are, the BCM is probably fine.

If the BCM (located under the dash in the middle of the car) is ok, it could be a loose antenna. Can you use the key to lock/unlock doors while you're inside holding the keyfob close to the air conditioning controls?

I notice (reading the manual about this system) that the automatic functions won't work if the car thinks the key is in the ignition. There's a switch in the ignition that's triggered simply by inserting the key. If this is faulty (sticky, whatever) you won't be able to lock/unlock the doors. I've never disassembled my ignition to try and clean this, but you could check the connections on the back to ensure they're all intact.

The BCM controls a number of components, including direct (that is, no other system actually does the work) control of:

* Power door lock
* Remote unlock/lock
* Windows
* Interior room lamps
* Hazard light reminder when keyfob is used (one flash for "closed", two fast flashes for driver door "open" and two slow flashes for all doors "open" - count the syllables in the flashes (closed is one syllable, open is two).

If you can use the windows and the room lights come on when a door is open, the BCM is probably ok. If the keyfob doesn't cause any reaction at all (even the lights) then it's probably a communication issue with the BCM (see below). For completion, check some of the other systems controlled by the BCM.

The BCM also controls other components in conjunction with other systems:

With IPDM/ER (engine bay control centre near ABS unit)
* NATS anti theft system
* Headlights
* Park, license plate and tail lights
* Fog lamps (if fitted)
* Windscreen wipers and washer
* Rear window dgoes. ger

With Combination Meter (instrument cluster):
* Warning chime (eg low fuel, handbrake on when moving)
* Indicators and hazard warning lights

Test these and see if they're working - if they all are, the BCM is probably fine.

If the BCM (located under the dash in the middle of the car) is ok, it could be a loose antenna. Can you use the key to lock/unlock doors while you're inside holding the keyfob close to the air conditioning controls?

I notice (reading the manual about this system) that the automatic functions won't work if the car thinks the key is in the ignition. There's a switch in the ignition that's triggered simply by inserting the key. If this is faulty (sticky, whatever) you won't be able to lock/unlock the doors. I've never disassembled my ignition to try and clean this, but you could check the connections on the back to ensure they're all intact.
Many thanks as aways, I've got a clear day tomorrow so going to look at it all then, I'll let you how it goes.

1.jpg

OK the two original keys that came with the car, left one i use everyday, right one i keep as spare.
Neither of them open or close the doors, from the buttons.
Both had new batteries installed and cleaned.
The everyday one is worn, so much it wont open the passenger door lock.

2.jpg

To the point i had a duplicate cut off the spare to open the lock.

3.jpg

Now if i press both lock and unlock buttons together, on either fob, after six seconds it flashes once, press and hold both again and it flashes three times and it repeats that pattern, it doesn't actual make the car lock or open, it just keeps flashing in the same repeat pattern i'm guessing once for lock three for open.
I'm thinking that this tells me both fobs are linking through the antenna to the car

4.jpg

I tried the pattern open/lock 6 times this then should flash and you can reset key fobs.
This lock is on the passenger side and only locks and unlocks this lock, there's no cables or electrics to it .

5.jpg

This interior lock and opens and closes all the 4 doors every time.
So i'm taking from this there is no problems with any of the locks.
The button illuminates when you press it,locks all the doors, then you get out lock the passenger door and lock with the key, doing this way though I've notice it doesn't set the alarm or immobilizer.

6.jpg

Checked cleaned and tested all of these....

7.jpg

Checked cleaned and tested all of these....and these....

8.jpg

Checked cleaned and tested all of these....and these....and these.....

9.jpg

Cleaned and tested them.

10.jpg

So this brings me to what i think is causing the problem. Before when you remove the key from the barrel, the interior lights came on everytime. This problem started if you remove the key from the barrel and the lights didn't come on the key fob never worked. I have given it a quick clean from this side, next job i'm stripping all of this out for closer inspection, I know the key is worn but i have tried all the keys, none of them make the lights com on, so no key fob action.

Any ideas to get it to work or have i missed something. Now my other idea is to buy the tailgate lock, passenger door lock and ignition barrel with keys and replace the lot. My question there is do these keys just link to the barrel, or will the codes have to be programmed deeper into the BCM, i don,t know and nor does my mate who's looked at this all with me who is a mechanic and we are both stumped now.

So everything from Old.Tony on his list I've checked and tested and everything is working as it should, (see Tony's post)

Inserting the key in the ignition would normally trigger a switch inside the ignition alerting the car to the presence of the key. It is entirely possible that this small switch (part of the ignition assembly) is stuck making the car think there's a key in the ignition.

See if you or your mechanic friend can unseize this. Failing that, a replacement barrel (which should be able to be adjusted by a locksmith to match your key) may be needed.

Latest posts

Back