Turbo noise after fitting intercooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmd235

Reaction score
Hi, i have fitted a Frozen Boost water to air intercooler and ever since i have a high pitched whistle /squeel after about 2500rpm, car runs fine , goes ok. Noise seems to go away after some highway driving but comes back in traffic. Have checked for boost leak and don't think that is the problem. Any ideas?
It is a ZD30 05 Navara, noise wasn't there before intercooler. Noise seems to be coming from the turbo

Hey mate, it might be just broadcasting through the piping. Mine does the same since i fitted a Forefront job, although that is air to air and has more aluminium piping running all the way to the front of car. If it sounds real bad maybe wack the air cleaner off and inspect the compressor and shaft for play and /or scoring. At least if it lets go now your 'cooler will catch it.
Id love to see pics of your install by the way - was thinking of getting one of those at one stage.

Thanks,
I have other people tell me that but i am heading to CapeYork in a few weeks and don't like noises i don't understand

Did you refit the MAP sensor after putting the intercooler on? I had what I thought was an exhaust leak but the hose to the wastegate from the front of the turbo had broke.

Its kinda logically impossible that the intercooler install would hurt the turbo. Most likely now you can actually hear the turbo, broadcasting its noises through the extra pipework and whistling through the IC core, although, I would have thought the actual heat exchanger wouldnt be broadcasting much because of the water jacket if its a W-2-A.
My A-2-A was alarmingly loud and acute especially above, say 14psi, it made me change my driving style a bit. I think it might just be the sound of a small compressor running at the ragged edge of its efficiency range.
Funny thing is, that after a few thousand K's with the intercooler, its not as loud or acute now, actually sounds pretty nice for the most part. My theory is that a nice coating of PVC oil has quietened it down a bit, or I've just gotten used to it.

So, It is either;
1) Everything is fine, and the noise is normal.
2) you have a boost leak, or,
3) Your Turbo is about to shit itself and you couldn't hear it until you put an intercooler on it.

All sounds logical, i have a spare turbo which i am going to get checked and swap them to see if the noise changes, thanks

mine makes that noise after fitting a front mount ,worse when towing. done many ks towing since. no problems .

Latest posts

Back