QD32 Engine ticking noise after load

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peacheyqd32

PeacheyQD32T
Reaction score
Hey all,

The noise is very subtle but just as I pull up you can hear the ticking noise. seems to go away fairly quickly so hard to jump out and open bonnet.

I put a turbo on the QD32 not that long ago.
Everything's been running pretty good.
No excessive temps or issues.

Oil pressure at idle is around 60psi cold, once oil is at about 75-80degrees it drops to 21psi. manual says 11psi or less is no good so assuming I'm safe there.
Oil temp and pressure taken after the oil pump/before the oil filter on the feed line to the turbo.
Water temp is usually between 82-88 and up to 110 under load up hills with trailer.
Running 14psi boost atm with about 3/4 turn on the fuel screw.
EGT I have got up to 750 pre turbo, those temps are for no more than 5sec.
Valve clearance has been checked twice, 0.40mm shim doesn't quite fit and 0.35mm shim just slides under (specs 0.30-0.40). checked with engine at 75degrees oil temp (running temp)
Oil has been change twice in the last 1000km, normally run 15w40 but have put 15w50 in the last change, noise was happening before both oil changes. oil always changed at or before 5k. Oil pressure at idle hasn't changed with 15w50 oil change.
Sump came off after the noise started when I did my rear main seal/clutch/flywheel etc and everything looked very clean.

Unsure what to check next, any ideas?
I'm assuming its in the head somewhere but unsure how to isolate the noise.
Could also be normal?

Attachments

• 20231106_152139.mp4
    29.6 MB
Does it go away when the car's warmed up?

Mine sounds a little like that, not as pronounced and only when cold.

It'd be worth having a very close look at the following:

Cyl head -> Exhaust manifold joint
Exhaust manifold -> EGR tube joint
EGR tube itself
EGR tube -> EGR valve joint
Exhaust manifold -> turbocharger joint

It's the sort of noise a power stroke could make through a very small gap (eg gasket worn).

It'd be worth having a very close look at the following:

Cyl head -> Exhaust manifold joint
Exhaust manifold -> EGR tube joint
EGR tube itself
EGR tube -> EGR valve joint
Exhaust manifold -> turbocharger joint

It's the sort of noise a power stroke could make through a very small gap (eg gasket worn).
All gaskets from cyl head to dump pipe are months old. Ill double check they are tight tho.
Dont have egr on my old nugget.

pull the oil filter off cut it open and have a look. whats the blow by like. have been told by a guy that stock exhaust studs are crap and he had a lot of problems till he went with arp studs some thing to do with the stock washers on the studs fucks me but might be worth a shot i know i snap 2 studs on my qd32. and i know u dont want to hear it but last time i hand some thing like this happen was on a tyota 2h had a precomp in the head come loose 750 pre turbo is to hot man if u see 700 back off

Latest posts

Back