Towing power

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispy

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering if my truck is under powered?
Yesterday I had to tow a car trailer with a v8 hz station wagon on the back I had troubles taking off (kept stalling) I ended up having to switch to 4 wheel low to get moving or ride the clutch a bit but once moving it was alright untill I hit big hills then that involved droping back to 3rd gear! I would have thought these trucks have more than enough power to pull this load!
I have a 2010 rx 4x4 2.5 diesel d40 dual cab do I have problems or is it the nature of the best!

:cheers!:

normal, they havent got much power right off take off and when you put a load behind it it only makes it worse, exaust and chip and blocked egr will help

Thats a 2.5L TD with a shit first gear.

Its got me beeped why Nissan hasn't learnt from all the blown clutch's in the D40's.

That's why auto's are better for towing, I have no problems getting my caravan at 2800gk gross moving..

Yup, taking off in 1st gear is a bit of a struggle with a load (in high range). But once rolling i havent had any problems at all. But i have yet to tow a load more than 1.3t (est. only) with my Navara.

I have towed my camper trailer (est. 1.1t) with a full load in the back of the ute as well plenty of times, and its ony the start/stop from traffic lights that slow me down. I have managed to pretty much stay with the traffic at highway speed without any dramas.

Ditto the comment about autos for towing. My 1.8T van is a struggle to start moving up a steep hill (as you would expect) so it's situations like those that make me thankful I have an auto.

Bigger tyres will make that worse too. I wonder if changing the diff ratios is possible?

Alos +1 for the EGR mod at the very least. I've done it to mine and will shortly be adding a catch can to remove the other EGR source.

Of course, I will restore my EGR functionality as soon as the federal government legislates that joggers and bicycle riders all have EGR installed.

Thank god I don't jog or ride bikes, although you've just sent bike forums into a frenzy and they will now be reporting.

"Government wants EGR mods installed on all bicycles and their riders, secret inside report from anonymous senator reveals plans to make the world safer for our children. Cycling groups are labeling the legislation a "bunch of hot air" and the opposition says they aren't ready to stick their nose into the issue as yet. Sign our online petition now to stop the government making such legislation."

Latest posts

Back