The end of the Ford Falcon

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it will be a sad day when the last coon rolls off the line, but it would be great to buy the very last plated falcon ever built, but i bet some one has already put there name on it.

Silly buggas have been making cars no one wants for far too long - holden will join 'em soon. Pity about the jobs but.

Everyone blames high wages in this country,(I wish I don't see them). Have a look at clothing labels, it used to be china and Taiwan, now its Bangladesh, that tells me its the company always looking to the next under devoleped nation that they screw the locals for cheap labour

Meh... would never buy a Ford or Holden anyway, people wanting cheaper but still decent family cars just go to the Asian alternatives like Mazda, Kia, Hyundai which have lifted their game dramatically over the last 15 years. An example for the average consumer would be compare a mazda 3 for $20k to a falcon which essentially does the same thing for $10k more and both look just as ugly...

pity for the jobs that will go away after 2016 - hopefully government will look in to it for alternative jobs.

The other problem is that too high mark up margins - lets be honest - when a business wants to sell they put high margins but when you buy you want the lowest cost as possible with quality.

well i see a silver lining in this.... maybe we can get the mustang, crown victoria, or taurus over here then at a reasonable price

a base model mustang would be nice for $30k instead of the 120k you have to pay

Sad that some locals will lose their jobs, guys that have worked there all their lives and probably have a limited skill set. That said, I think too big a deal is being made of it. Hands up anyone that got 3 years notice to train and find another job? Anyone?

I agree though, Australian developers need to up their game. Riding on the coat tails of cars past for too long.

Higher production cost is always going to play a huge part in such a business. If local manufacturing costs twice as much (many experts suggest 4-6 times) it has to have an impact on local manufacturing and local manufacturing has to suffer. While it sucks for towns like Geelong and Broady Ford is not the only company to take this path, apparently over a dozen big Aussie companies have followed the same path in the last few years and some of those have a longer history here than Ford.

Many things from the demand for higher wages, the higher cost of manufacturing here, the lower cost of manufacturing overseas and even the value of the dollar can be blamed but at the end of the day those to blame really only range from the greedy CEO's to the retailers to the consumer who wants/needs to save money and that doesn't change no matter which company fails.

Car of the future means all a manufacture has to do is meet the specs and given that Ford has all but stopped factory support letting the 6 remaining Ford badged teams to find their own money I can't see anything changing.

hopefully the end of aussie car manufacturing will mean a relaxation of the import rules and all imports will be allowed. you will then actually be able to buy an entire range of reasonably priced cars.

Apparently ford are including heated tailgates with the new ranger, so ford owners can keep their hands warm when pushing it home.

Well as Australians are the vultures of the consumer world , ( me included ) we will feast on the corpse , and gobble up every last sale , and every cent to be saved from the from the soon to be deceased , WHAT we should do is let the traitorous ford cars rot on the lot , not buy a thing in protest , This country has been bloody good to Ford , ever since the the nutter Henry set up shop here

My first car was an EF Wagon, it had the most comfy front bucket seats, was easy to drive, loads of room in the back for passengers and "other" activities. The only downside was I couldn't take it off road and it was as thirsty as a mule. Still miss the old girl sometimes...........

My first car was an EF Wagon, it had the most comfy front bucket seats, was easy to drive, loads of room in the back for passengers and "other" activities. The only downside was I couldn't take it off road and it was as thirsty as a mule. Still miss the old girl sometimes...........

I still have a very comfy ford and love it , but it disgusts me to see this treachery

Folks here think only of the cars and not of the workforce and 2ndary support businesses.
Ford has brought alot to this country...need to think beyond the tip of our noses.

This country has been bloody good to Ford , ever since the the nutter Henry set up shop here

Wasn't Henry that set up shop here. Was the Canadian arm of the Ford Motor company who had the "British" license that set up shop here, had it been up to Henry we'd have never had Ford in this country and feasibly never had a ute given that it was the aussie designers who came up with the idea.

The problem is scale. The fact is there is no car manufacturer in the world that can produce 14,000 units a year and be profitable no matter where the car is made.
For example Ford makes the Focus in Germany. Production costs there is as high as anywhere else. High wages, high currency, good conditions, emissions trading.... the lot, yet it has been a winner for them.

The industry of car manufacture is a very different world to what it was 20 or 30 years ago- unfortunately for us.

Little snippet I heard on Radio National today that was very telling. Australia has 250 odd choices (models) of car. Not counting variations. The US has about the same with a population of 300 million+

If Holden don't change their structure of manufacturing here their fate will be the same in the not to distant future. These decisions will not be taken here but like Ford in the head office in Detroit.

Last edited:
If Holden don't change their structure of manufacturing here their fate will be the same in the not to distant future. These decisions will not be taken here but like Ford in the head office in Detroit.

nah our retarded government will keep propping them up.

Latest posts

Back