The end of the Ford Falcon

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah but Detroit don't give a shit about how much money Holden are given or by who, if sales figures drop to the same as Ford and Holden loose what little they can export Detroit will be folding them just as quickly.

Scale is important - but so is market research. Ford and holden make cars noone wants - the writing has been on the wall for a decade but they have had their heads in the sand that long. We could produce lots of little cars in hitec factories if our gov pushed the makers to inovate - but both are lazy & inept.

I loved my xa coupe, and my wb & hz utes, commy and falcon had their day too but fark - keep up.

BTW - went passed ford's hanoi factory today. Big place with dirt cheap lobour.

Sad that some locals will lose their jobs, guys that have worked there all their lives and probably have a limited skill set. That said, I think too big a deal is being made of it. Hands up anyone that got 3 years notice to train and find another job? Anyone?

When and before these guys went to work for ford, holden, mitsubishi, etc, it was made clear that the chance of working for the same employer all your working life was highly unlikely. I have no sympathy if they have sat on their arse instead of going off to TAFE to upgrade their "limited skill set" during the past decades. Perhaps this "set back" might finally drive the fog from their brains, but I'm not holding my breath.

I agree though, Australian developers need to up their game. Riding on the coat tails of cars past for too long.

Do you mean ford's developers? Considering that ford head office couldn't produce the cars being demanded by the US market, why do you think it would be any different here when all the bosses came from head office?

ford usa also spent big $$$ on r&d, then canned the projects, sold it all off to India who promptly built the plants and made the vehicles which are some of the most popular models sold around the world.

Ford and holden make cars noone wants

At this stage Holden are exporting the Dunnydore and it's one of the few things keeping them afloat, the minute export dollars dry up is the minute Detroit look at pulling funding for the aussie arm.

Despite many of the back handed and laced comments from US reporters regarding the V8's in Texas last weekend for Holden it was more beneficial than just having Jamie Whincup win a few races. They had NASCAR and many others watching their cars, it has little to do with the race car being completely different to the exported road car it had to do with showing off what the Australia arm can do, and that is the one thing Ford could not achieve, but it alone wont be enough to save Holden unless something changes.

When and before these guys went to work for ford, holden, mitsubishi, etc, it was made clear that the chance of working for the same employer all your working life was highly unlikely. I have no sympathy if they have sat on their arse instead of going off to TAFE to upgrade their "limited skill set" during the past decades. Perhaps this "set back" might finally drive the fog from their brains, but I'm not holding my breath.

What a crock of shit, back when many of these guys started the jobs they are now loosing jobs were for life, or atleast a good portion of life. To suggest some nufti made it 'clear' to them there wasn't much chance of that happening in such a booming industry is friggen stupid. Even those who didn't join the industry until the last 10 or 15 years wouldn't have been told they were short term jobs any more than any other industry.

As for not going to TAFE and getting a better skillset fcuk me do you even read the shit you type? Many of those people have done that, many of the people are in the process of doing that and many of the people have realised that in such a limited workforce a piece of paper saying they can do extra duties is not going to get them a job that is not there to begin with. Geelong and to some degree Broady have limited jobs, limited industry and limited chances of rehiring 500 workers no matter how many skills they have.

The consumers and workers in this country have to share a majority of the blame for our manufacturing industry going the way it's going but the majority of the fog that needs to be cleaned from the brain is inside heads like yours who continually look at black and white and see green.

Apart from the job losses at Ford and possibly Holden and Toyota in the future the ramification of Ford alone pulling up sticks could be massive. It's not just the job losses of those unskilled lazy pricks at Ford you point out, Ford closing means manufacturers of car parts and components will also be in less demand, less demand for them could well see those industries downsize or even close. Are they all unskilled fcuk ups that only had one skill set and wouldn't go to TAFE instead of turning up everyday to a job that actually pays their wages?

Doesn't matter what skills those workers have or gain in the short term. That large a workforce can't possibly leave on a Friday night , then all find jobs in the next week or two. It's not a lot of consolation but at least they will be paid out, which maybe alright for someone close to retiring. Money is one thing, but you need hope, hope that you can find another job. And I don't see much in the way of new jobs

They are thinking the new offices for the NDIS might be set up in Geelong, it's obviously a big change for many of them but that apparently has the potential to hire more staff than Ford are sacking in the area. Would be good for Geelong if they do get the office and Ford find themselves loosing more workforce than they can handle before their closing date.

What a crock of shit, back when many of these guys started the jobs they are now loosing jobs were for life, or atleast a good portion of life.
That is a total crock of shit. Are you saying that all these workers are in their 60's because that could be the only workers that may not have never seen the idea that the nature of work was changing BEFORE they joined the work force.

I first encountered the idea in the early 70's and there has been plenty in books and newspapers since. Horses & water.

To suggest some nufti made it 'clear' to them there wasn't much chance of that happening in such a booming industry is friggen stupid. Even those who didn't join the industry until the last 10 or 15 years wouldn't have been told they were short term jobs any more than any other industry.
Every employer will tell you that you have a "job for life". Sadly, many find out that it isn't the case. It shouldn't be news to anyone.

As for not going to TAFE and getting a better skillset fcuk me do you even read the shit you type? Many of those people have done that, many of the people are in the process of doing that and many of the people have realised that in such a limited workforce a piece of paper saying they can do extra duties is not going to get them a job that is not there to begin with. Geelong and to some degree Broady have limited jobs, limited industry and limited chances of rehiring 500 workers no matter how many skills they have.

What is different to any other location?
Jobs come and go and if you want to be an employee, then you have to go where the jobs are or retrain to the jobs in your locality or create your own employment.

The consumers and workers in this country have to share a majority of the blame for our manufacturing industry going the way it's going but the majority of the fog that needs to be cleaned from the brain is inside heads like yours who continually look at black and white and see green.
Rubbish, I'm not to blame for the unsold products from a company that repeatedly produces products that consumers/customers do not need/want.

Further, the car companies were told that there is really only room for ONE car manufacturing company in Australia and that was twenty years ago.

Apart from the job losses at Ford and possibly Holden and Toyota in the future the ramification of Ford alone pulling up sticks could be massive. It's not just the job losses of those unskilled lazy pricks at Ford you point out, Ford closing means manufacturers of car parts and components will also be in less demand, less demand for them could well see those industries downsize or even close.
Manufacturing as a percentage of employment in this country has been decreasing since the 1950's. There are plenty of other part provider companies that have been through this before and the smart one survived.

If your business depends on one customer, then you are gamblng.

Are they all unskilled fcuk ups that only had one skill set and wouldn't go to TAFE instead of turning up everyday to a job that actually pays their wages?

Instead? I've met plenty of guys who worked and studied at all levels. Shock horror, they gave up their evening beer drinking/TV time to gain further skills and education. Oh, and some of those were/are illiterate.

That is a total crock of shit. Are you saying that

No I'm saying that you speak shit.

Every employer will tell you that you have a "job for life".

But you said those employees were told they wouldn't be employed for life.

Jobs come and go and if you want to be an employee, then you have to go where the jobs are or retrain to the jobs in your locality or create your own employment.

Spoken like a true crunt who has never been faced with the possibility that it aint always possible up sticks and move just cause some bean counter in a suit says there is a job in Mongolia.

Rubbish, I'm not to blame

Again the crunt talking who thinks everyone else but him is to blame.

Further, the car companies were told that there is really only room for ONE car manufacturing company in Australia and that was twenty years ago.

Proof?

Instead? I've met plenty of guys who worked and studied at all levels. Shock horror, they gave up their evening beer drinking/TV time to gain further skills and education. Oh, and some of those were/are illiterate.

There is that crunt voice again, and here I was thinking crunts are useful, guess you proved me wrong again.

So whats the problem with the falcon in particular? As I don't own one, to me they look fairly good, big , comfortable, probably use a bit of fuel but after all its a big car. Price seems ok too. But as I said I don't own one so their might be issues I don't know about.

No I'm saying that you speak shit.
Oh, I forgot, you're the expert in the field
But you said those employees were told they wouldn't be employed for life.
Did I? The information was there for a thinking person to work it out and there were plenty of commentators making the comment.

Spoken like a true crunt who has never been faced with the possibility that it aint always possible up sticks and move just cause some bean counter in a suit says there is a job in Mongolia.
Shrug, I've had to move four time to stay employed. That is par for the course with many "jobs" these days. Like it or not. I'd love to live back in the town where I was born, but no work for me then and less work work of any kind now as the big employers have already shut down and moved away.

As to moving on the say so of some bean counter, that is just silly. It is one thing to travel somewhere for an interview/holiday(BTDT), but there is no way I'd up sticks and move my household on spec/maybe.

Again the crunt talking who thinks everyone else but him is to blame.
Shrug. You feeling guilty and trying to divert?
I buy products that I need. I do not waste my money on buying unneeded products to keep any "producer/manufacturer" in business.

So whats the problem with the falcon in particular?

No idea either but I've never purchased a sedan of any brand. We always went for something more functional like a courier van. When the old one died, the first thing we looked for was another van and no one, including Ford(they stopped their range) had one at an affordable price.

So we looked at a 4x4 ute and the Nav won over the Ranger.

Back