Servicing & Warranty

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siringo

Reaction score
I have a new D40 and I'm wondering if I will void any part or all of the warranty if I get it serviced by non Nissan dealers???

There are several good garages around where I live, but I'm not sure on the quality of the Nissan mechanics???

If they service correctly no. It can cause issues cause Nissan is very strict. Of incorrect oils are used in a D40 and dpf fails or cats or anything it won't get covered. If wrong gear oil is used for auto box's and it fails it will not be covered. It all really depends on the quality of the service. But now with Nissan capped price parts and oils arent to expensive it's mainly the labour rate of $120 pre gst per hour

Yup, i agree with FatBoy ...

Legally you can get your 'new' cars serviced by any reputable workshop, as long as they follow the manufacturers requirements and oils etc.

Manufacturers can still cause grief when it comes to warrantee work even if you always use the dealer networks.

I have chosen to use the local dealer (for my x-trail and my navara), as it is walking distance for me from work. Its closer than any other mechanic I might choose to try out. i still had some issues with the radiator shroud when it let loose and got caught up in the fan and belt.

im gonna 3rd that . if correct oils and recommendations are used by an authorized local mechanic, Nissan CANNOT void warranty on your vehicle. i have always and will always use my local mechanic for my car services. i have always trusted this mechanic and he backs his work and will fix anything for free if it was his fault. PLUS its heaps cheaper even with Nissans capped servicing. Also i only use genuine Nissan filters on my car even at my local mechanic. He can provide the filters or i provide them and he just fits them for me. saves a few extra $$ on services but i am on the road all lthe time so dropping into nissan for a few spare parts doesnt take up to much time.

Rusty

Nissan can and will try to deny any warranty work unfortunately...
It all depends on how the advisor/technician refers it to Nissan.
:)

It's pretty simple, if you go to your local mechanic for servicing you must do the following:

1. Ensure the mechanic is authorised to perform manufacturers servicing and carries out the service as per the log book.

2. Ensure the mechanic stamps the log book and KEEP THE RECEIPT FOR THEIR WORK.

3. Provide the local mechanic with all genuine Nissan oils and filters to allow for the service. Purchase these from the local dealership AND KEEP YOUR RECEIPT FOR THE GENUINE OILS AND FILTERS.

4. For warranty claims, the stamped log book by your local mechanic is not sufficient. Nissan will demand you provide receipts for the work carried out and the receipts for all genuine Nissan oils and fluids for each and every service. Failure to do this will give them enough to deny warranty claims.

The only exception to this is the genuine Nissan oil. Be sure if you use non Nissan oil that it strictly complies with their spec's. I just use the genuine Nissan semi-synthetic 10w40 oil for my services to take away any potential for Nissan to blame the grade or quality of oil as the reason for a warranty claim.

Hope this helps

on top of what bluesv has said. i have been using the genuine nissan oils and filters but have taken the next step and started using fully synthetic oils of a btter grade. Penrite 5w-40 Enviro+. yes its made for dpf vehicles but is far superior to the standard semi synthetic and i get better fuel mileage and better protection to my engine.

Rusty

RustyNav09 said:
on top of what bluesv has said. i have been using the genuine nissan oils and filters but have taken the next step and started using fully synthetic oils of a btter grade. Penrite 5w-40 Enviro+. yes its made for dpf vehicles but is far superior to the standard semi synthetic and i get better fuel mileage and better protection to my engine.

Rusty

Not enough of an excuse for Nissan. They would knock it back in the blink of an eye if they new that. That being said it only refers to any motor damage or
DPF damage.
Trust me..

DPF = Diesel Particulate Filter. It is fitted to the exhaust of the auto D40's however Nissan recently removed them as of sometime in 2011. I think Series 5's?? If your vehicle is fitted with one of these you have to use a low ash fully synthetic 5w30 engine oil regardless of climate.

I have to agree with what has been said so far.
Just as a note though, Two different Nissan dealers local to me use different oil brands.
One Caltex the other Valvoline, unless they service a vehicle with DPF, then they say they use the 'Genuine Nissan Oil'
That being said, you wanna, sorry I wanna make it as hard as possible for them do deny a warranty claim so I get the dealer to do the service.

Legally Nissan cannot avoid a warranty claim as long as the vehicle was serviced correctly (appropriate spec for each fluid or other consumable) as has already been mentioned.

The thing about getting Nissan to service the vehicle is consistency. As long as the Nissan dealer IS following the factory "recipe", your car will be serviced correctly and accurately every single time.

This "join the dots" methodology DOES present a problem at times. Sometimes an error code will present itself - like with a local here, Beergutz, who had a code appear that indicated something to do with the fuel pump. After analysing the actual issues, I suggested he loosen his fuel cap and the problem went away. Nissan would have replaced the fuel filter, fuel lines, fuel rail, injectors, fuel pump (there's $4K) and eventually have given up (perhaps). The manual has a strict, set order in which to replace components in order to diagnose a condition. Mind you, I'm not sure if that problem has returned.

As for different brands of oils - there's no drama in doing that, the oil only has to meet the specification. Those of us with DPFs need to ensure that the oil is JASO-FD rated (extremely low ash). They're actually more particular about the auto transmission fluid, because the torque converter is designed to drive (and stall) at particular levels for precisely the oil they specify. There might be similar oils, but I get the feeling (reading the manual) that if they spot a hint of something else in there, they'll tear the auto gearbox warranty up (and the manual does say that).

Overall, though, getting a non-Nissan mechanicto do the servicing or even repairs correctly shouldn't present a problem with warranty - just keep all the receipts and any job sheets you're given.

Legally Nissan cannot avoid a warranty claim as long as the vehicle was serviced correctly (appropriate spec for each fluid or other consumable) as has already been mentioned.

The thing about getting Nissan to service the vehicle is consistency. As long as the Nissan dealer IS following the factory "recipe", your car will be serviced correctly and accurately every single time.

This "join the dots" methodology DOES present a problem at times. Sometimes an error code will present itself - like with a local here, Beergutz, who had a code appear that indicated something to do with the fuel pump. After analysing the actual issues, I suggested he loosen his fuel cap and the problem went away. Nissan would have replaced the fuel filter, fuel lines, fuel rail, injectors, fuel pump (there's $4K) and eventually have given up (perhaps). The manual has a strict, set order in which to replace components in order to diagnose a condition. Mind you, I'm not sure if that problem has returned.

As for different brands of oils - there's no drama in doing that, the oil only has to meet the specification. Those of us with DPFs need to ensure that the oil is JASO-FD rated (extremely low ash). They're actually more particular about the auto transmission fluid, because the torque converter is designed to drive (and stall) at particular levels for precisely the oil they specify. There might be similar oils, but I get the feeling (reading the manual) that if they spot a hint of something else in there, they'll tear the auto gearbox warranty up (and the manual does say that).

Overall, though, getting a non-Nissan mechanicto do the servicing or even repairs correctly shouldn't present a problem with warranty - just keep all the receipts and any job sheets you're given.

Suction Control Valve. If not then Injector Rail, Then Pump.
Just had a Pathfinder come through and went through the paces as nissan instructed after the Suction Control Valve didnt fix the issues.
Vehicle Out of warranty and happened after a DPChip was installed.
Bill Came to $9890. Ended up being pump. As vehicle would not run at all
when it came in it was much harder to diagnose. Yes even with computers.
Customer has elected to Remove DPChip as Fuel rail presures were too high and thought to be the cause.

Thanks again for the input. The reason I started thinking about using a non Nissan dealer for servicing was the other day I pulled out my dipstick to look at the oil after the car had been sitting for some time and the oil was way over the full/high mark.

Not very scientific I know, but it made me wonder, if they over fill the engine oil, what else might they be overlooking? You don't have to be a fully qualified mechanic to change oil and filters and so on, but if I make a special effort to get my car to a dealer, and the last service was an effort, I want to know that my pride & joy is being looked after by the best I can find and not some person who doesn't really care or doesn't really know.

i just picked mine up from its 20k service (dealer) $290
it has to go back to have front right body mount replaced,if i didnt complain it would not have been noticed, they also adjusted lhs door latch (rattle)
i will continue to use dealer only servicing till its out of warranty,makes any warranty claims a lot easier
i also left egr plate in
no comment from nissan and no fault codes in service reports

I just picked up my 2010 D40 ST manual from the dealership after it's 20,000km service. The cap price is a little over $400. I had already changed my pollen filter myself, told them to not rotate the tyres as I'd just had that done when I got a wheel alignment and I supplied my own oil. The service went down to $192.

The price of the pollen filter was approx $70 and the oil was that price too...although I still have about 3L in the second bottle for the mid service oil change. When you add those prices together you end up with a service price of $330. Much cheaper than their cap price service but still a little on the expensive side if you ask me. But there is a price to place on having your log book stamped by a Nissan dealership all the way through.

My biggest gripe is that you do pay a premium for their service but I get my truck home and none of the door hinges have been lubricated, unlike other dealerships that I've been to which actually do that. Plus the little plastic piece that holds the bonnet stand is now broken. And I checked the oil when I got home in the correct manner and it appears that it's only half way between the L and H mark...which probably equals about 0.5L of oil. Just puts doubt in my mind about attention to detail and reduces confidence in their ability. Whinge ended!!

Just puts doubt in my mind about attention to detail and reduces confidence in their ability. Whinge ended!!

No it's not a whinge, I felt the same. It just shows you how important it is to do a good job, especially people who represent the Manufacturer.

How can I find out how much my services are going to cost? I have a 20,000 service coming up in 2000 k's.

Thai: $415.68 - Manual $461.22 - Auto
Spain: $403.95 - Manual $448.59 - Auto

Yeah, those are the capped prices which can also be found on their website but remember that price includes pollen filter replacment. So start deducting from that price if you don't have a pollen filter and supplying your own oil. Its a simply way to reduce the price significantly.

Latest posts

Back