2012 Spanish D40 White haze saga

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Question.

Any other possible causes to this misery?

A horrid white Hazy comes out of my 2012 Nissan Navara D40 St-X Diesel Spanish built then engine has rough lumpy idle then cuts out.

I possibly have coolant leak but there's no water in my sump oil or radiator.

A Dunedin dealership service manager asked around and he says there's possibly a leak going into combustion chamber which is pretty common fault.

I'm not sure if e.g r valve failure can lead to same symptoms?.

wonder if using a pour in stop leak is wise?.

Connect the two coolant lines that go to the EGR pipe to each other instead. Try driving the car.

If your EGR cooler is busted, it could leak coolant into the intake manifold and this could be turned to steam in the combustion process but - if the revs aren't high enough - it could dampen combustion enough to stop it.

If the problem goes away your EGR cooler needs to be replaced.

Connect the two coolant lines that go to the EGR pipe to each other instead. Try driving the car.

If your EGR cooler is busted, it could leak coolant into the intake manifold and this could be turned to steam in the combustion process but - if the revs aren't high enough - it could dampen combustion enough to stop it.

If the problem goes away your EGR cooler needs to be replaced.
Thanks. I've made the mistake to replace cooler with brand new but still cause haze and idle dying after 2 minutes.

The DPF sensors themselves can still bugger up and cause problems. Had it happen myself, I was pulled over for a random breath test one day and the thing smoked like a chimney, I had to turn the engine off.

Upon restart it didn't smoke for a bit.

Does yours only smoke after the engine has warmed up or will it do it from a cold start as well? Do you have a mate who's a mechanic and can clear the DPF Regen code from the ECU?

The DPF sensors themselves can still bugger up and cause problems. Had it happen myself, I was pulled over for a random breath test one day and the thing smoked like a chimney, I had to turn the engine off.

Upon restart it didn't smoke for a bit.

Does yours only smoke after the engine has warmed up or will it do it from a cold start as well? Do you have a mate who's a mechanic and can clear the DPF Regen code from the ECU?
It smokes up 20 or so seconds after idling on startup. It's putrid and sticks to clothing.
I did loosen E.g.r valve from manifold but still smoked.
I shall check sensor.

Cheers Carl

It smokes up 20 or so seconds after idling on startup. It's putrid and sticks to clothing.
I did loosen E.g.r valve from manifold but still smoked.
I shall check sensor.

Cheers Carl

If it starts smoking while it's idling it shouldn't be the DPF. It's not supposed to initiate a regen when the engine is idling but it is possible that the ECU has determined that a regen is vital/imperative and will now just do it until the DPF sensors give it a good response.

That might be difficult to achieve without replacing those sensors. I had to do that in mine, and wrote to a guy called auggie on this forum about it. He sold me some replacement sensors which worked amazingly. He has a thread about it on this site - click here. His contact info is in the first post on that thread.

i know this is a bit of work but i would be inclined to unbolt the cat off the back of the turbo.
then see if it still smokes and what the smell is like. the reason being is that the cat tends to remove a lot of the smoke and smell.

the other thing is a radiator leak down test. they pressurize the radiator a little when cold with a gauge on it and then see what the pressure does over night. that will shows if its a small coolant leak.

the two main things for white smoke is oil leaking from turbo into the cat (worn turbo or lots of blowby) or injection timing is out. if timing is going way out that would stall the engine. that could be timing chain issue.

i've had a blocked breather pipe cause oil out the turbo and it did it mostly at idle. diesels tend to produce most blowby at idle.

i know this is a bit of work but i would be inclined to unbolt the cat off the back of the turbo.
then see if it still smokes and what the smell is like. the reason being is that the cat tends to remove a lot of the smoke and smell.

the other thing is a radiator leak down test. they pressurize the radiator a little when cold with a gauge on it and then see what the pressure does over night. that will shows if its a small coolant leak.

the two main things for white smoke is oil leaking from turbo into the cat (worn turbo or lots of blowby) or injection timing is out. if timing is going way out that would stall the engine. that could be timing chain issue.

i've had a blocked breather pipe cause oil out the turbo and it did it mostly at idle. diesels tend to produce most blowby at idle.
Thanks.
Would s.c.v valve be cause too?.

Latest posts

Back