Removing tow ball

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok i have used all the advice given:idea:...WD40 and a hammer, got a bit of movement but did not budge. This afternoon, got a torch and heated it up... :devil:belted it with a hammer and guess what....still in there. i have a felling when all that extra bracing was applied it has shrunk...real tight or it is actually welded in there!:suicide2:

Attachments

• car 022.jpg
    car 022.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 104
  • car 023.jpg
    car 023.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 101
  • car 024.jpg
    car 024.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 100
ok i have used all the advice given:idea:...WD40 and a hammer, got a bit of movement but did not budge. This afternoon, got a torch and heated it up... :devil:belted it with a hammer and guess what....still in there. i have a felling when all that extra bracing was applied it has shrunk...real tight or it is actually welded in there!:suicide2:

Any chance of grinding the welds and removeing the ANGLE thats been welded there? it can always be welded back on after the hitch has finally been removed.

My guess is that with the welding, it has possibly shrunk, but more likely has caused internal rust to develop and with the shrinking after welding and then rusting, thats why its seized inside.

At least if you can possibly remove the ANGLE you can get access into the rear of the receiver and can then have the hitch 'pressed' out. It'll be a b!tch of a job, but it will work.

The guy who owned it before me ( i got it with 30k on it) towed a full on trailer hence the extra strengthening. Cutting that plate was my next step... Across the top of that middle weld and a window to see exactly what is going on. Fair bit of rust in there, I have been pulling out chunks every time I belt it. Off to the mine tomorrow so it will have to wait a week.

hmmm, with a cavity that just lets water and grim build up - and unable to wash it out, i'm not suprised that your finding rust in there.

I'm glad i pull my hitch out. I managed to clean the mud and crap out of the receiver this afternoon - still from the Muster.

Mine was a absolute whore of a thing to get out out.

Eventually got it out and then covered it in anti-seize.

Once it is out and cleaned up I am definately not putting it back unless towing. I can't believe snatching it to a massive tree and some gentle clutch work, heat and a hammer and it has refused to moved. Does everyone have that backing plate and the other plate welded on top?

being a whore of a thing,does that make it easy to remove?

things usually go in and out of whores easily..lol

i had he exact same problem as you until recently, had to lay under the back n beat the living sh*t out of it with a sledge hammer, took a while but it came out, rounded the nut fairly well but i will cut it off and get a new one soon

Had the same problem on the old mans old challenger, snatch strap to a tree and take off, only problem is removing it from the tree...

Sent from Luke's iPhone using Forum Runner

after reading this i was curious about mine, luckily it came straight out with no force at all, phew lol

I finally removed mine this arvo.. I used 3x log splitting wedges between the lip of the receiver and the tongue .and of course a mallet.

Latest posts

Back