QD32 Hesitation/Miss on light throttle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeedMoreBoost

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am having an issue between ~1800 and ~2700rpm where I get a hesitation or a slight miss. The tacho drops a miniscule amount and you can feel it. It only occurs on light throttle when cruising or free revving in neutral. Giving it a boot full or under load the problem goes away.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking it is not a fuel supply (blocked filter or air leak) to the pump problem as I would expect it worse under load and higher in the rev range which is not the case. Perhaps an injection pump or injector issue?

Thanks all.

Even though it doesn't happen under heavy acceleration, have you tried putting clear line between the fuel filter and metal fuel lines, just to make sure there are no leaks, I'm had and seen a few problems with the primer diaphragm leaking air in, also the water sensor has been known in those to leak in air from where the two wires enter the plastic casting.

Just gave it a go. After 30 seconds or so all the air from changing the hoses bled out and there wasn't a single bubble. Think we can rule that one out.

Best to then check the banjo filter that connected the fuel line to the injection pump to see if it is clogged up.

I tired looking for mine twice and even had my brother inspect the banjo bolt to try and find the spring and washer that should have been there and we could not see it.

After wasting 3 months trying to sort out the hesitation/missing issue, I took it to a diesel show who said they took the filter out, and now the d22 is 100%

Worth a try, it gets a lot of people.

from memory just get a really long extension, and a uni, you should be fine, i think its either a 14 or 17, if there's crap around the head of the bolt clean it away first to ensure nothing gets into the inlet of the pump.

How did you go mate? Mine is doing the same and im thinking about getting that banjo filter out and cleaning it as well.

I didn't end up having a look. My starter motor shat itself so I couldn't get it running to check! Rebuilt and installed it again last night so I will be sussing the miss out this weekend hopefully. Will let you know how it goes!

I did notice whilst changing the starter there is a diesely looking residue all over the pump so it may have a loose fitting and a small air leak there somewhere.

Had a the same problem with my qd32. Pulled out the banjo filter cleaned it out and put it back in and it runs like a dream now, no hesitations just flat cruising engine. Mine only has 122000kms on the clock but the banjo filter was still pretty dirty. The banjo filter sits inside the injector pump where the bolt goes in. Just hook it out with something, it will be there.

Rightio! All that stuff checks out. I have however discovered that the IP is leaking fuel from around the accelerator spindle, or whatever it'd be called. Cactus pump?

Apologies for long gaps between posts btw, I am a bit useless/short on time.

poor mans fix is to just replace the top seals.
you may be able to do that without taking pump out.

the downside is you don't know how long the rest will last.

Thanks mate. That will have to do I suppose. It isn't like its undriveable now, just an annoying feature I'd like sorted.

Anyone by any chance have an exploded diagram of the pump? It appears to be in the earlier version of the FSM than supplied on here.

It is in the manual, SM7E-0D22G1 then EC, QT &TD, injection pump. The manuals a bitch to navigate.

Attachments

• D22 index.JPG
    D22 index.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 56
Yeah that was the section I was looking at. Full disassembly procedure is "See earlier TD series service manual EF section (1st edition)" or something to that effect. It does have removal and adjustment procedures.

I'll scope it out again and if I haven't made a wrong turn somewhere.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back