pros and cons of diesel petrol injection

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashleylipus

Reaction score
hey guys.. i've been reading up on this diesel petrol injection stuff lately and i reckon it sounds like something i would be interested in.. i have a zd30 powered d22 and was previously interested in diesel gas but was only dreaming due to the cost of the kit and installation.. diesel petrol injection caught my eye not only because its cheaper but also because i can install it myself..

i've heard all the good points about the system on the chip it web sight but i wanna know the cons as well.. so far i haven't come across anyone who has one of these installed on the forum so i haven't heard any feedback from a navara owner.

i appreciate any advice.. i want to make sure my dollars will be well spent..

i have already done my egr mod. turbo back exhaust upgrade. i have an intercooler waiting to go on.. should this be my next mod or should i just get a chip?? i would like to eventually get both though

cheers

intercooler first then chip it. chip will fix the low rpm lack of power while the petrol injection won't.

did you catch the discussion on patrol site about petrol injection ?....... before chip it threatened to sue them and got the thread removed.

The chip changes the fuel rail pressure so that for the same injector opening duration, the chip effectively causes more fuel - (or less fuel if it can, if it's a ChipIt chip) to pass through the injectors, which obviously is like putting your foot down harder. It can do this through the entire rpm/throttle range too.

Petrol injection (and no, I didn't see that thread on the patrol forum because I don't read that forum) would change the nature of the fuel in the combustion chamber. Diesel fuel burns at a certain rate, unleaded burns at a different rate. They ignite at different temperatures and in different ways and both release a different amount of energy. Combining the two changes the formula and changing it too much can cause problems, because diesel engines are designed to work one way, and petrol engines are different enough that the two will work, but crossing the line can be detrimental to the engine. I don't know where that line is.

Suffice to say, if you don't get the amount of petrol injected correct, you're going to either prematurely wear the engine or blow it up completely.

It's something I'd be careful with. LPG injection is exactly the same: too much and it damages the motor. Combustion temperatures, in the case of LPG, rise so high that the piston crown weakens and eventually gives way.

what exactly does the chip do to allow more power at the lower rpm range??

it pours in more fuel. the ZD30 is somewhat under fueled in the low revs.
petrol adds a bit of fuel but it really tends to help the fuel burn rather than add a lot of fuel. petrol fairly limited in the amount you can pour in.

the problem with petrol is the risk. to much and it blows.
there was a fair bit of debate if petrol would ignite before diesel is injected due to its lower self ignition temp.
lpg is better as that requires higher temp.
water/alcohol is even better.

my concern, especially with motors like ZD30, is the petrol and engine oil (ie oil from breather) mix being ignited. that could be nasty.

the ZD30 doesn't have a fuel rail like the common rails. the chip can't increase injection pressure.
it simply makes the pump pour in a bit more fuel.

does anyone have dyno results with a chip it chip on a zd30??

hmm so how much is to much?? surly the chip it kit would be tuned to only allow a safe level of petrol/methanol+water into the intake?? or am i wrong??

does the fuel get injected before or after the turbo??

you tune the petrol/meth/water to the chip rather than the other way around.
tho chip it chips had an egt safty measure on some which means you could tune it a bit harder than most.

generally they all get injected after turbo. however some water/meth system can do a pre turbo injection. however there are certain risks to that. if water pools or a nizzle partly clogs then you can damage the turbo very quickly.

does anyone have dyno results with a chip it chip on a zd30??

I have a chip it chip on my ZD30 :)

approx 25% increase in power and torques.
I have the chip on the highest setting and i am making 95kW @ the treads. I also have an intercooler installed. in standard form tho zd30 will make around 70-80Kw in stock form (depending on tires, age of car, what dyno its on, ect)

Did you end up with petrol injection?
i am looking into water/meth injection at the moment but still deciding on if it will be worth the effort.

nah not yet.. leaning towards the chip at the moment.. but my list is so long it keeps getting pushed back.. are u happy with your chip overall??

Back