P0380 glow plug malfunction fault code. Hellppp!!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakefarnham1

Reaction score
Help! P0380 glow plug malfunction fault code.

Please helpppp

Firstly.
New to forum. Hello all

I have a p0380 code on my scan guage.
I have checked glow plugs. .5 ohm each
I have checked operation of relay outside of the car.
The fuse is blown but i want to find the fault before just bang testing.
The wires at the glow plugs to earth are fine. The wire from the fuse to the relay is fine.
The wire from the relay to (i dont know where) is a dead short

Now what happened.

Started my car.
Voltage went way down.
Then a loud pop. (Could have been fuse)
Then a really bad electrical smell in the cab.
Im thinking there is a glow plug controller under the dash thats blown up.
Where is it and whats it look like. Google has nothing.
Thanks heaps for all help.
Car starts and runs fine. I just clear the fault each time.

2012 2.5L crd

Last edited:
Sounds like fun... Not... As far as I'm aware the ecu controls the glow plugs, but that doesn't mean it hasn't burnt that circuit out. What model have you got, d22 or d40? If it is a d22, the ecu is in the middle of the dash under where the radio is. Might be time to pull things apart and check for any melted connectors or wiring under the dash. Alternatively, only being 2 years old it should be under warranty so make it Nissan's problem....

Welcome aboard.

It should be Nissan's problem, especially if it's a cooked ECU. The glow circuit isn't complex - one of the relay connections will be connected to negative, that's normal, but only one will. The others should all be positive feed, switch or supply.

Cheers for the reply. Its a d22 and ive been pretty slack with the logbook servicing. Dont know if theyd touch me. :/ the glow light still works for different times depending on the engine temp. Im assuming the ecu side is still operational. Car starts and runs fine. I just have to clear the fault with the scanguage each time. The power wire leaving the relay has a dead short on it with the glow plugs disconnected. Im thinking that wire feeds a module that then feeds the plugs. Maybe it has fried.

The power side of the relay has a short. The incoming side comes from the fuse. Proved that and also feeds the control of the relay. Its neg switched by maybe the module or ecu. But the power feed leaving te relay has a short on it. I want to disconnect it from where it goes to and test again. Just dont know where it goes

From the relay I would expect it to go straight to the glow plug rail. Where it runs to get there I couldn't say, but just because you haven't been up to date with servicing doesn't mean they won't fix it. The glow plugs aren't a standard service item so they can't reject warranty on those grounds if that is what the fault is...

Yea good call with that about the warranty.

As for the wire. It leaves the relay in a heavy orange wire. Like a 4mm or 6mm. Sorry sparky talk. Not auto elect. Lol. And the glow rail is really small wiring. Brad on here has emailed me a full wiring specs for the navara and ran me through it. It seems that the yd25 dont have the control module but its done from the ecm direct. But if that died i would have lost everything. I will have a bit if a look tomorrow for the wire. If i cant find it then it will be a nissan issue. But if i can find it then i will unplug and test once again to prove its not the cable. Might pull the plugs iff the glow olugs and put a fuse in just to prove its not them. They test ok but who knows :/.

I think there is a control module. It could be next to the ECM. Take the centre console out and have a look under the lower panel near the gear levers.

How small is the wire at the glow plug rail? I know it has conduit over it, but it has to be decent diameter surely... Have you got continuity between the relay output and that end at the rail? Or is the dead short in there somewhere?

Latest posts

Back