Owners that have owned both D22 & D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourocker

Reaction score
Hi all, a very good mate is looking at replacing his GU II Patrol with a dual cab ute, he's looking at 2 years old/ 50,000 km units and considering Hilux, Triton, D40 Navara & D22 Navara (because I have one).
I want to help/ advise him as impartially as I can so basically I'd like to hear from people who have owned BOTH D40 & D22 and what they consider the better vehicle and or pro's/ con's for both, even those among us that may be willing to admit if Hilux or Triton are the go having owned one of these and a Navara. Please be honest, thanks.

Check out posts by Nathand22, I don't remember exactly which threads but searching by username and looking at the titles should give you a good idea of which ones he's compared the two utes in.

The 09 Hilux I used to drive around the farm a bit was not really way comparable to my ST-X, mainly due to the lack of comfort and lack of mod cons that cost so much extra on the Hilux. Pound for pound in their unmodified states they are both similar enough to say it's entirely a personal preference and not a better or worse choice. I'd advise your mate to check the recalls website as I know Navs and Lux's have had recalls in that time period, Triton may also have had them too I don't really keep up with Tritons.

I also drive a patrol at work nearly everyday, bigger then my d22 but its a heavy pig of a thing. I like the fuel economy of my Nav and its got enough grunt for what I do. The patrol gets it hard, torn shocker mount and 3 cracks in the chassis. But in fairness to all they killed the cruiser they had before the patrol

I owned a 2003 D22 (zd30) for the past 7 years. What I loved about it, the seating postion was great, it was light, had good ground clearance and was more than capable off-road, and I took it a lot of places that surprised the company I was with. What I hated about it was the rear seat leg room, everytime I closed the door I'd jam the seatbelt, the tub was rattling itself to pieces, the exhaust manifold warped and leaked around number 1 cylinder. Overall, I didn't want to part with it but my wife suggested it was time to move on.

I have now bought a 2012 D40 which I've owned for the past 2 months. What I love about it is the room, the extra poke and it rides like a car. What I dislike is the ABS brakes when offroad (I'll need to pull the fuse next time), the low slung transfer case just looks exposed, the stupid bluetooth was working and now it's not (it took ages to get it to talk to my phone) and I don't think the radio reception is as good as the D22.

Cheers.

Thanks guys, that's what I'm after and keep em coming. I'll check for threads from the two owners mentioned and I forgot to say in the original post that he's only interested in diesel variants.

Mate I have had both as Krafty pointed out and i rate them both, BUT i will say that they are different to each other in a number of ways, each one has its good points and of course bad too.
I think it mainly comes down to what he wants and needs it for, does he have kids and need space in the back, is it for work or work and play, does he want all the bells and whistles like blue tooth, steering wheel controls, cruise fold up rear seats bigger tray, does it have to be a more serious 4x4 or just a bit of touring and some less heavy duty tracks, is it for towing, how much coin does he really want to spend, ect if he can pin point a few of these that will help make the decision easier for him.

If you give me some more details i will give you my honest opinion on what i think. (just for a change haha)

The Triton manual gearbox sucks, prefer my D22 to the new Triton.

Was driving one the other day for 2 days while the Nav was getting a service and they were to lazy to bleed the brakes properly.

Driven a new hilux, Meh not bad. But not worth the price tag.

Go see a engine rebuilder before buying a Hilux or ring Lee Mears engine reconditioning. He's rebuilt a heap as they pick up the bore, mainly the early D4D's.

Usually run into Mearsy every friday at the pub.

Ok, this is gold, thanks so far.
His kids are older and probably less likely to go camping into the future (mostly be him & the Mrs), still needs to carry rear passengers occasionally, will get used for transport to work (high k's) but not for actual work, will get used for carrying mountain bikes and access to trails/ awkward parking etc and will be used for camping and towing say an offroad Jayco or the like (undecided).
Needs to have decent offroad ability but not interested in all out extreme capability any more (ala Patrol) (mostly for offroad/ onroad touring) and he enjoys beach fishing occasionally while away.
I moved from wagon to ute 7 months ago and have found the ute great in regards to the mountain biking (we often go together) we share the driving and he's coming around to the fact it's much more hassle getting the bikes in his Patrol, removing wheels etc all the time ie, he thinks it's better when we take my Nav.
So I hope this covers the conditions he'll be needing to fill adequately.

I've had both.

:rambo:Hi there,

I have had both vehicles, now being the current owner of a 2012 ST D40.

My D22 was a 2010 model, stock standard except for tub liner and tonneau cover.

The D22 was a good value for money car costing me $31k drive away, however I found the ride rubbish, it would bounce all over the rd. The bluetooth reception was crap, the vehicle had a knocking noise under my foot whenever I turned left hand corners. The rear seats were small and the vehicle did not come with an anchor for a baby seat, which I knew when I purchased it however my circumstances changed. Fuel economy wasn't bad however not exceptional either. Apart from the above mentioned items the vehicle was as I expected from a brand new $31K dual cab 4x4.

The new D40 is like comparing apples and oranges and these vehicle really are not comparable. I picked up this vehicle for $39,500 drive away with tonneau cover, tub liner and tow bar. I have only travelled 3000km so far but I have been more than impressed with the the power and fuel economy averaging about 8.8 l/per 100km. There are a lot more creature comforts as well which is to be expected with a vehicle $8500 dearer. So far I have only done some really minor off road work and I have noticed that the vehicle suffers from low clearance, also the tyres which come with the vehicle are crappy road tyres. Apart from that I love the vehicle and am glad that I upgraded. When the crappy road tyres wear out I will be putting in new suspension and A/T tyres. Once this is done I believe that the vehicle will be a more than capable 4x4 for my needs.

In summarising, you definitely get what you pay for, and in the D40 case is as follows,

Better handling (no torsion bars, independent front suspension)
6 Airbags
ABS
Traction Control
Better seats/more room
cruise control
bigger more spacious tray
Better stereo/bluetooth connectivity (IPOD features, 6 speakers)
Child seat points
Utilitrack system in the rear tray
Dual climate control
central locking with remote access (key fob)
steering wheel controls
More kilowatts/power and torque

A down side of this vehicle is that you cannot fit a 2nd battery in the engine bay. I have not performed any towing with the vehicle yet and I expect as others have described for low down torque to be a little bit of a problem. I have heard people saying that they are required to ride the clutch etc when towing boats out of the water. if this is the case for me I will simply engage 4h or low as long your travelling in a straight line it shouldn't be a problem for 20-30 metres to get you up the boat ramp.

I feel that if you want a no frills 4x4 then go the D22 however if you want a vehicle with a few extra creature comforts and it is to be your main vehicle the ST D40 would be your answer. This is only my opinion after having owned both vehicles. I am sure plenty will disagree however but it works for me and my current situation.

Thanks for your in depth response, it seems Nissan should not have sold the new one as a Navara also and maybe should have called it something else, they do seem to have nothing in common really.

i moved from a hi lux single cab into a D40 twin cab.
the hi lux was a great fourbie, tough, basic, reliable, lacked a bit of power (2 ltr petrol)
the D40.. huge improvement to inside comfort, driving and features but manual transmission has required two rebuilds by nissan (covered by warranty) and the rattles and noises under the dash annoy me know end..
off road ability..D40 needs underbody protection but stock, not a lot of difference and I would think that mods would still make the cars comparable.

My first Navara was a D22 dual cab and have since had 2 D40 dual cab's. Personally I like the D40 better because it has more room in the back for teenage kids and has a more comfortable ride. My D22 was a 2005 model, they may be a bit more comfortable now but still lack room in the second row for passengers.

Back