old shockies as spares??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NathanJG

Reaction score
Got a question.
Am making the cape trip and am wondering if I can use my old stock shocks as spares if one of my ironman ones fail? (Shockies were replaced when getting ironman 40mm lift a little while back)

If its just to get you out of the poop then go for it, yes they may top out and bottom out easier but for just limping to somwhere in order to do the repair work needed they should be fine.

You COULD do that. Stock shocks are pretty crappy though, and if they've had a few km under them they're probably useless. You could always see how difficult it is to compress/expand them - if it's easy to do, they're a waste of time.

Sorry, not a big fan of the stock suspension at all. The Ironman shocks are probably stronger anyway, and may not have any trouble at all - are you expecting them to fail?

Tony i have seen EFS shocks with the eyelet ripped off from big impact due to a good pot hole, so on a trip like that i think its wise to carry some spares just incase, like i said above they may only be to get back to a town or limp home on them IF the poop hit the fan so buying another set of quality shocks is a bit of over kill if the funds are bit restricted.

He also says he still has his old shocks, so no money involved. Mine went in the scrap steel bin at work, the day after I changed them. As a spare an old shocker has to be better than no shocker

That is the plan, just to be able to make on the go repairs until I can get replacements. Although I am hoping the ironman ones don't fail!!! (just trying to make sure I am as prepared as I can be)
Thanks for your advice guys!

Wouldn't bother myself. If a rear shockie fails leafs are fairly self dampening anyway so just remove the failed shock and carry on at slower speed.

If the front strut fails it's a big job to do on the side of the road.

The more weight you carry the greater the chance of something breaking anyway.

Wouldn't bother myself. If a rear shockie fails leafs are fairly self dampening anyway so just remove the failed shock and carry on at slower speed.

If the front strut fails it's a big job to do on the side of the road.

The more weight you carry the greater the chance of something breaking anyway.

He is talking d22 so not struts, it is shocks + torsion bar. Shocks take nothing to swap in the d22.

I would take them. I'm taking some blupac ones I got off the net cheap as spares. When do you go?

I travelled from Purni Bore to Mt Dare without both front shocks. We made it back without any further damage - just travelling at a sensible speed - and a couple of cold ones to pass the time. This was over small dunes and along some ordinary sections of track. It took about 3 hours or more.

But at the end of the day it's what makes you feel more comfortable.

I agree with Tappet - pack lightly and don't carry crap you don't need. If you are travelling with others share the load and spares.

Last edited:
He is talking d22 so not struts, it is shocks + torsion bar. Shocks take nothing to swap in the d22.

I would take them. I'm taking some blupac ones I got off the net cheap as spares. When do you go?

Hey Mitch
Leaving home tomorrow but taking a week to get to Cairns. Leaving Cooktown on the 18th and back in Cairns again on the 30th. Then back home about the 5th/6th October.

Hey Mitch
Leaving home tomorrow but taking a week to get to Cairns. Leaving Cooktown on the 18th and back in Cairns again on the 30th. Then back home about the 5th/6th October.

Ahh ok. I'm going up leaving rocky 21st, leave cairns to cooktown 22nd, cooktown up 23rd. Was going to offer you my spare blupac ones if it was at different times.

Latest posts

Back