nolan brook, cape york

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d40black

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time post for me in this forum but have been reading for a while and have found it most helpful.

Im planning a trip to the cape next year and starting to get my d40 ready for it (standard 2013 V6 STX).

I've heard a lot of horror stories about nolan brook and was wondering if anyone can give some specific D40 advice regarding the crossing and mods required and if they have done successfully themselves? ive had a good trawl of the net and cant find much on a D40 doing the old telegraph track and specifically Nolan's - any advice/stories would be most appreciated.

thanks

Logan's is deeper, but harder bottom.

2 inch lift, AT's, lower pressures, be smooth.

Worked for me last year.

mithc92,

did you have much water coming in the cab for both logans and Nolan? were you towing a trailer? (I will be towing an offroad camper)

Tappet,

good advice but the OTT is one of the main attractions for me, don't mind a few battle scars but definitely don't want to drown it :)

You won't drown it unless you stop or get bogged in the deepest part. Use a good "sealed" snorkel a car bra and preferably have a few snatch straps ready to attach - or attached to the car in front that just crossed. I would not like to go there in a standard height 550 that was probably what Tappet was meaning also a camper or even box trailer will not help at all.

yeah, sounds like the smart option will be to have a mate drag me through - just not quite as rewarding as making it on your own but at least my truck will keep running for the rest of the trip........hopefully

You hopefully won't need to be dragged through but the backup is good particularly if towing. Sounds like you are confident and that's important. A lift and good tyres should be your first priority after the snorkel.

lift and tyres on the way, snorkel fitted a couple of weeks ago (genuine Nissan installed by Nissan and not sealed - going back to them to fix)

If with trailer I suggest going the OTT south to north, so on way up.

Nolan's I would connect up to your mate before attempting. Just get him to keep strap taught but not under tension, so as not to get it tangled but able to drag if needed.

WALK EACH CROSSING IF YOU DONT KNOW OR HAVE DOUBTS!

We got told do Nolan's in right hand side. Well it was deeper and softer on right than the left. Three of us went left no issue.

Logan's as I said is deeper but way more traction. Logan's is one before Nolan's.

Palm creek may likely require winching so be ready. It is not far from bramwell junction.

Rest of the creeks aren't to bad. Make sure you line up well for the log bridge.

I didn't get any water in the cab. Water comes in once you stop. I tend to go the theory of don't stop.

Just got back from the cape 3 days ago.
I was in my D40 with 3 jeeps. All the jeeps sunk, I was the only one to get through.
I think the weight of the D40 helped me as well as the rear locker

My D40 before and after

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 101
The most important thing on those crossings is momentum and minimal wheelspin. If you can use 2nd low range with reduced acceleration you have a better chance. Weight will also be an important factor.

As Mitch92 has mentioned. Hook up multiple snatch straps and keep the strap taught but not under tension. We did this in 2012 when Boxy and family arrived on the opposite side of Nolans to us. Was the best way to doit. No water in cab and never had to worry about getting stuck.

A lot of Tue horror stories are people that are unprepared and/or guys thinking they are the best. We watched af250 and prado sink cause of being cocky. Use your head and don't be stupid.

Rusty

Back