NSW law for mods

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NavRon

Reaction score
I am not sure exactly which section I should be posting under because I have questions of legality as well as practical ones to comply with the law. I acknowledge that many of my questions may already have some type of answer within the forum but in trawling through hundreds of posts I find that answers may be somewhat dated or lacking specificity regarding what applies in one state versus another.

My 2013 Navara dual cab is standard apart from a steel bull bar and a canopy. I did not measure body height before fitting of those items therefore I do not know what body/suspension height is normal/standard.

I reside in NSW and emailed the RMS about 10 days ago, regarding clarification of a couple of matters, thus far without an answer.

The gospel for NSW can be found on.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_dl1.html

Modifications being more specifically on.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi6.pdf

My budget does not allow immediate or radical modification. I am after a very minor lift but eventually adding to it with AT tyres when the road ones wear out. Total lift maybe 20 mm to 35 mm. At moment my wife steps over the sidesteps so I can lift the Nav a little bit and she use the sidesteps but not so high that she needs a stool to get in. My life is worth more than a lift. The much later tyre part of the lift will be approximately 13 mm by going to 285/65 or 265/70.

The specific section is number 12.

SUSPENSION
Item Modification
12 Altering vehicle ride height by more than one third of the manufacturer’s suspension
travel in the direction of the ride height change.
Examples requiring certification:
• Conversion from coil to leaf springs.
• Any modification to the suspension configuration.
• Fitting a suspension of a different design eg from a different make and model
(eg from coil springs to leaf springs).
• Fabrication of suspension mounting points.
Examples not requiring certification:
• Modification of suspension with components or parts which meet or exceed the
original vehicle manufacturer’s specifications.
• Fitting uprated roll (sway) bars, shock absorbers, springs, struts or manufacturer’s options for that particular year make and model.

I would like to go with a small spacer at the front and I know that many forum members use these; however, there is another reference to these items being illegal. I cannot see any problem with using these items in context of the above wording. Any solicitors out there who would care to give a professional opinion?

The front spacers that I have in mind.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190916564042?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

May be a quality kit with the 10-15 mm lift about right for the end plan, although the front may have already sagged with the steel bull bar, and it may go further when I install a 20kg to 25kg winch.

Other options are.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161166066126?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

35 mm lift (reduced by bulbar and winch)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewItem&item=141146362830

This a replacement coil set with 50 mm lift, reduced by bullbar and winch.

Now for the rear. I favour extended shackles rather than blocks with extra long u-bolts.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=141146362830

Okay, the questions are the legality issue along with the practical issue of how to measure and comply with the legislation.

“Altering vehicle ride height by more than one third of the manufacturer’s suspension travel in the direction of the ride height change.”

I have not crawled under the Nav to physically inspect so in pure theory (before addition of the bull bar and canopy) I could have measured the distance between the part of the suspension where the bump stop hits and the upper bump stop itself. Surely this represents the ultimate degree of travel as designed by the manufacturer. Am I on the right track?

Last but not least, is the minor lift that I envisage going to cause mis-alignment of any components? The original (but shabby?) shocks should be able to travel that little bit further?

All comments greatly appreciated.

Ron

Hi Ron
Firstly Welcome to the Forum
As far as am aware the following would be about right in NSW but I could be wrong and the guys in here will tell you am usually wrong with a glimmer of right lol

Max increase in rolling dia of wheel/tyres is 15mm but have heard they might be changing that to 50mm to fall in line with the NCOP
Up to 50mm of total lift, rolling dia increase plus suspension lift is self reviewing and does not require engineering
Over 50mm requires engineering
Over 6 inch lift is not for road use
Strut spacers are legal as far am aware as long as made from material fit for purpose , steel alloy etc not plastic or rubber
Rear Lift blocks are legal again as long as made from material fit for purpose
Extended shackles , honestly not sure about NSW but non roadworthy in the ACT

Short term spring and strut spacers are ok to get the height you want but you have to remember you still have factory shocks and springs and they are well known for being crap.
I went down the road of spacers for a start and ended up with new springs shocks and struts. I should have saved the time money and effort and gone for the good gear from the start.
As to what the good gear is now that my friend is where you have to research research and then do a little more research.

My own truck I have Radflo Struts with Eibach springs in front and Tough Dog springs with Rancho RS900XL shocks in the rear. Not perfect but it works well for me .
No 2 trucks are exactly the same so you have to find out what equipment fits your truck best for what you chose to do with it

Welcome aboard.

Extended shackles are illegal everywhere as far as I am aware - definitely out in NSW.

If you want some clearance then get it and get the car engineered, as stated above. It ends the problem. If you opt to raise the front more than 50mm you'll find the angle on the CVs a bit much and you may need to look at a Calmini kit to fix this (new UCAs etc).

Also be aware that with larger tyres comes less apparent power and more fuel consumption.

One thing my repaier said to me when I told him about the setup I run was he has to price that's what caused your truck to fail etc...

Hi Ron
Firstly Welcome to the Forum
As far as am aware the following would be about right in NSW but I could be wrong and the guys in here will tell you am usually wrong with a glimmer of right lol

Max increase in rolling dia of wheel/tyres is 15mm but have heard they might be changing that to 50mm to fall in line with the NCOP
Up to 50mm of total lift, rolling dia increase plus suspension lift is self reviewing and does not require engineering
Over 50mm requires engineering
Over 6 inch lift is not for road use
Strut spacers are legal as far am aware as long as made from material fit for purpose , steel alloy etc not plastic or rubber
Rear Lift blocks are legal again as long as made from material fit for purpose
Extended shackles , honestly not sure about NSW but non roadworthy in the ACT

Short term spring and strut spacers are ok to get the height you want but you have to remember you still have factory shocks and springs and they are well known for being crap.
I went down the road of spacers for a start and ended up with new springs shocks and struts. I should have saved the time money and effort and gone for the good gear from the start.
As to what the good gear is now that my friend is where you have to research research and then do a little more research.

My own truck I have Radflo Struts with Eibach springs in front and Tough Dog springs with Rancho RS900XL shocks in the rear. Not perfect but it works well for me .
No 2 trucks are exactly the same so you have to find out what equipment fits your truck best for what you chose to do with it

Thanks for the advice from all.

Despite the long road to uniformity across all states, the end of that road is not yet in sight. I think that some uniformity applies on "fitness to drive" but not yet on vehicle modifications.

The 50mm rule no longer applies and was replaced in 2009 with the rules in the main pdf link in my post. Opinion on legality or lack of legality, can only be framed by the current words contained in the SUSPENSION section. I guess that there is only one answer, chase up RMS and get it in writing.

My intended lift is not going anywhere near requiring certification, so long as the bits and pieces used are within the words in the section.

Tyre rules are here and I will not attempt to interpret them. On my old Terracan I would up the torsion bars and the replacement rear springs gave a little lift. I achieved my modest intended lift with higher profile tyres. All totally safe; however, it would be illegal here if the tester found that it rubbed on full lock.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi09_rev4.pdf

When I get the RMS advice I will post it.

Ron

Latest posts

Back