No turbo boost

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arty_74

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Sorry if this has already been discussed but need help urgently. While taking off from a day trip today it seems that my turbo has stopped working.
Had to drive home from Aratula to Brissie without any boost whatsoever, there are no warning lights on at all, I tried the ECU reset and loosening the fuel cap but still no turbo.
Could someone please shed some light on my issue, thanks in advance.
I have a 2008 TD STX auto

havent split or blown a turbo hose off? i did this lost power and no boost on my boost guage. Its an easy fix and simple. No lights came on when I did it either

My guess would be a cracked or leaking vacuum line on the turbo actuator.

Start the car and have someone sit in the driver's seat changing the rpm from idle (750rpm) to about 1500rpm by tapping the accelerator. You open the bonnet and shine a light under the turbo actuator which is a round gold disc that sits on top of the turbo. Underneath this is a shaft that goes into the turbo and this shaft should move with changing demands on the motor. No movement means either the actuator is broken or isn't getting the vacuum.

I would second that Old Tony, happened to me on a 4x4 fun day the thing had no guts and would not rev when needed to climb sand dunes. Spent days scratching my head before checking the basics, turned out to be a vacume line to turbo actuator split and fell off.

Just picked the car up from my local mechanic and it is the "boost control solenoid" that has failed, the issue that I have now is that Nissan says due to the high failure rate of the solenoids there are none in the country until at least May!! They tried other outlets and local 4wd wreckers but nothing around.
Will Nissbits be able to help me out if so how do I get in contact with him?
cheers

I removed my boost control solenoid when I got home, checked all three hoses for cracks, all looked pretty good, sprayed contact cleaner on the plug pins and gave the solenoid a bit of a thorough shake, re-fitted it and started the car. Had son accelerating while I checked the actuator? (the arm that sits under the round thing on top of turbo) and it seemed to move up and down as it should. I took the car for a drive and now my boost is back???? I'm now wondering if I need a new solenoid or not? I'll have to watch it for a few days and see if the problem re-occurs.
Reading other threads what and where is the suction control valve?

The suction control valve is on the back of the fuel pump, down low on the right-hand side of the engine. If your SCV has a problem it'll run fine until you try to use full throttle, and it'll then just drop immediately into limp mode.

It's possible that your suction lines weren't 100% in place and when you removed them and put them back they went on properly hence they work properly. It's also possible that the rubber has hardened a little from the heat (and knowing that it's near the turbocharger this should not be surprising given the heat levels nearby). There's some value in replacing those hoses to remove that potential problem.

I did trim back the hose that connects on top of the round thing above the turbo as that was hardened and showed signs of cracking but didn't appear to be right through, will get onto replacing all hoses very soon.
Can you define "limp mode"? Not sure if mine was going into limp mode or not.
Do you lose pretty much all boost or does it limit the revs?
I was still able to rev the crap out of the engine to get up hills....

Limp mode limits the RPM to 2000 and it feels completely gutless (mostly because at 2,000rpm or less, you can get max torque but can't get max hp). If you think you could be overtaken by a hooked barramundi riding a skateboard with square wheels, you're probably in limp mode (or in a Toyota). Check the vehicle badging carefully to be sure!

Ok, an update to my "no boost" situation. My new "boost control solenoid" came today (thank you very much Nizzbits!) and I now have my turbo working as normal again. Apparently this is a part that has a high failure rate.
The thing feels like a rocket now after driving around 2 weeks without any turbo....

Hi guys,

just wondering if you can help me out with the location of the "boost control solenoid". the car isn't going into limp mode but it doesnt feel to have teh same turbo boost that it used to, noticeable over the past week.

Tim... it's just to the left of the air filter box..

It should have 3 rubber hoses coming into it.. If you trace back the hose from the actuator on the turbo towards to front of the car / airbox you'll see it..

Ok found it, all looks ok, was surprised to find that none of the hoses are held on by clamps, was a Lil worries to pull them off in case I couldn't get them back on. Is there a way to test if it is working correctly?

Posted above..

Start the car and have someone sit in the driver's seat changing the rpm from idle (750rpm) to about 1500rpm by tapping the accelerator. You open the bonnet and shine a light under the turbo actuator which is a round gold disc that sits on top of the turbo. Underneath this is a shaft that goes into the turbo and this shaft should move with changing demands on the motor. No movement means either the actuator is broken or isn't getting the vacuum.

I can see mine bobbing up and down at idle.. you should see that - and if someone pushes on the accelerator, you should she the needle pull up and down as it comes and go off boost..

right, so checked the needle while idling and it bobs up and down, cant check what it is like until the missus gets home but seeing as it is doin it on idlei assume that it should be operating under load.

Latest posts

Back