Nissan dealer clueless - internet wins

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macjeffrey

Reaction score
So I've been unable to drive for 3 weeks due to back surgery. Today I see the surgeon and can drive again. The D40's battery is flat so I charge it with the charger. Done this many times before with no dramas. Couple of hours later I start the car to pickup my kids and the instrument clusters are blank, no indicators and a message where the odo reading normally lives saying " ptr rdy".

No worries I call up my local dealer where the car is serviced thinking this is probably a common occurrence and they'll set me right in no time. I speak to the workshop manager. Surely a knowledgeable chap. You can see where this is going. No idea mate he says. Bring it in and we'll connect it to the diagnostic computer! Really? I'll get back to you thanks.

30 seconds on the net - disconnect the battery for several seconds and then reconnect. It works and I'm away. Instruments working, etc.

I am amazed how lost these people are without their diagnostic computers with no real understanding of how the car works, what can fail - and how to fix it!

In all fairness, I take literally two dozzen calls a day from things like.

What could this problem be,
How much will this cost to fix,
what causes this noise,
why does this vibrate in reverse but not drive,
when cold my car does this,
going right through a roundabout makes the steering feel weird.

The problem isnt that any dealer mechanic needs a diagnostic tool to determine a problem. But it could be one of a thousand things and spending time speculating on what it could be over the phone is about the most pointless thing you do during the day at work.

Chances are the tech you spoke to was probably experienced enough to know better than to get into over the phone diagnostic, which no doubt he has been burnt on before.

Like anyone in business they are in business to make money and not offer free advice over the phone..for what ?

just the way it is.

btw I was in at the Toyota dealer this morning with a friend who has had his 200 series Sahara there for just on 4 mths now ( engine RS )...boy this service engineer covers up his lack of technical know how with pure arogance...just makes you want to deal with that dealer again and again...he has no idea he is the face of that business.:sorry3:

yes/no
i have similar in my trades over the years.
you get asked the same questions so you know the common faults. it only takes a few questions to get some idea of whats wrong. thats actually very helpful so the tech can plan how much time he needs to fix it and can book customers in accordingly.

but some people will only look at it in the shop so they can charge out the time. 5 min fixes is easy money.

for me it was better to fix it over the phone because otherwise i would have to waste my time driveing there which dosn't make me money. the customer ends up with a big bill and forever hates me for it.
5 min fix over the phone costs me a little bit of time, but allows me to use the rest of the time to make real $$ and i have a happy customer who will want me to go fix there gear later on.

Latest posts

Back