Mystery water leak D22 Zd30

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibbo1982

Reaction score
So got a 2002 D22 navara with the ZD30 time bomb (195 000kms) and up until about a year ago all was good. Around then she developed a mystery water leak (using 2 + litres daily driving or hard 4x4) with no visible signs. Have pressure tested and no issues even did it overnight. new hoses and a new thermostat that's just shit itself I think. My question is what are the chances of it being a leaking EGR cooler versus cracked head and are there any other places it might be going. Car never runs hot and there seems to be no loss of power, bubbles in radiator or murky oil/water. If its the EGR cooler is it simple/safe enough to block of cooler hoses and blank the EGR?? appreciate any advice in advance

no egr cooler on them.
only the egr valve is cooled. it would be very rare for it to leak.

have you checked the floor under the carpet in case its the heater leaking?

Nice to see you have done heaps of research and decided the zd30 in a navara is a time bomb ,the majority by far are running around here with a lot of ks with zero problems, (its not a patrol)!, you must be best mates with Mr Toyota?

I have navara d22 zd30 and its an absolute monster no problems like gadget was sayimg there not patrols

the navara zd30 suffered from the same problem the patrol zd30 did, especially pre 2003.
plenty around with blown pistons.
later ones are better and as navara is lower powered and doesn't run the patrol crap control system, its less likely to have pistons fail.

the navara zd30 suffered from the same problem the patrol zd30 did, especially pre 2003.
plenty around with blown pistons.
later ones are better and as navara is lower powered and doesn't run the patrol crap control system, its less likely to have pistons fail.

Very few have had blown pistons per % of owners in the navara(from my research) , have a look through all the d22 archives here, some turbo problems,yes, but you will struggle to find alot of blown pistons on the zd30 nav( on this big nav forum).

Maybe where you are I've lost count of the d22 motors we replaced/rebuild. Here I dont see the cracked heads tho.

Very few have had blown pistons per % of owners in the navara(from my research) , have a look through all the d22 archives here, some turbo problems,yes, but you will struggle to find alot of blown pistons on the zd30 nav( on this big nav forum).

the forum is not an accurate indicator.
most who bought navs new don't go onto forums (typical old folks). also a lot are commercial sales.
there is only a tiny tiny amount of owners on here.

to get an accurate idea you need to talk to the dealers and engine builders.

Maybe where you are I've lost count of the d22 motors we replaced/rebuild. Here I dont see the cracked heads tho.

Many 05 models?
Also when you say cracked heads, have you seen many with the small hair line crack between glow plug hole and exhaust valve?
Ive seen a couple and I have a spare head, and id just about bet most have this tiny crack, I woild be really happy to be proven wrong tho.

Every motor that's opened we get the head checked. Had one on a patrol but it got so hot it grabbed on the bores. I've still got the head here. Don't know why but out here we just don't have the cracking issue. Even on my 03d22 head is fine on it 260km on it.

Back