2010 D22 Coolant Issues

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkshen92

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

This one’s got me a bit stumped and I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas.

My 2010 D22 has started chewing through coolant lately. It blew a head 30000kms ago which I replaced along with a brand new water pump, thermostat and radiator. I’ve drained the oil and found no coolant in it so it doesn’t seem to be getting into the engine. There are no visible leaks and it’s not blowing any white smoke. The coolant reservoir isn’t bubbling which leads me to believe the head hasn’t cracked but it’s still going through coolant like it’s going out of date. I’ve put 10 Litres in over the past month and haven’t seen a drop leave the thing.

Any ideas for my next line of enquiry?

Cheers

Coolant is used in the heater matrix inside the cabin as well as in the EGR cooler and turbocharger.

If the heater matrix is losing coolant you should see it puddling below the cabin outlet and may even smell it in the cabin.

If it's being lost through the EGR cooler there are two possibilities: either it enters the intake manifold or it enters the exhaust (more likely into the intake due to exhaust pressure).

In the turbocharger you'd expect to see it losing coolant from the lines beneath but - if the turbocharger is worn enough - it could lose coolant internally. You'd probably notice a drop in performance along with that, and if there's no visible signs of coolant, inspect the shaft (try turning it with your fingers) to see if it's losing it there.

While it's not as common, it could lose coolant along the turbine shaft through the bearing on the underside of the impeller of the turbo which would result in coolant entering the intake. You might be able to spot this in the hosing between the turbo and the intercooler/intake manifold - this area should have a light film of black oil covering it, check to see if that's contaminated by coolant. You'd still notice a wobbling turbine shaft if this was the case.

Latest posts

Back