My Nav is sick...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsgooch

NF Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dropped off the Nav to the Nissan Dealer this morning. Blowing white smoke that smelled like oil. Looked under the hood and notice a very large oil leak around the top rear of the motor under the cowling. I took it to the dealer with all the mods on it catch can, egr blanking and plazzaman hard pipe and waited for that call saying my mods broke my Nav. Got the call the problem is covered under warranty and the part is in Melbourne. He would not go into detail about the actual failure but I think it is going to be major.

I think this is the same problem I had few months ago blowing white smoke I posted here. The problem went away but I just came back from Clarence River this weekend and noticed the burning oil smell then, but only a little smoke. Last night it was really bad coming home. Will keep you guys posted as to the outcome. Dying to know what is wrong with my Nav. At least it is going to be fixed for the Muster!!!!!

Last edited:
Bugger!!! but its good to know Nissan have you covered and are not stuffing you up.

Also good that you will make the MUSTER!! lol have to make the muster at all costs ha!

Well they replaced pretty much every seal on the top of my Nav. Valve Cover, and valve seals. When I got home the oil leak was gone but the symptoms of the white smoke coming from exhaust was still there. After reading through this post I pulled my catch can and re-installed the original hose from the PCV to the air intake. The Nav is running like a top. The white smoke problem seems to be gone as well as the whole truck seems to be running better. I never would have guessed that a catch can could cause so much trouble. I really would like to have the catch can as there was a bit of oil coming from the PCV and being caught by the can. When I replaced my hard pipe the factory hose was dripping oil. So I need the catch can, but I am really afraid to install it.

I am not sure what the problem was with catch can. It is the big Forefront Tech catch can it has 1 inch inlet and outlet. The outlet on the pcv was smaller like 5/8inch so I was using a 5/8" to 1" adapter hose to a 1" metal insert to 1" poly hose to the catch can then the same on the outlet side. I wonder if the larger diameter hoses were pressurizing the catch can? Should I look at a different unit maybe the smaller Forefront catch can or maybe a more expensive stainless unit. Any input would be greatly appreciated. John thanks for the suggestion! I will be bringing a couple of beers over to your camp site to share with you mate on our Mt. Mee trip.

What type of catch can is it mate. The Provent catch cans have a pressure release built in to them. Forefront industries does two types a large and small one. I run the big version and have never had a problem with it and I have neglected it to. I haven't even cleaned it for 2 years. Bad I know.
Cheers. brad.

There must be something in there restricting flow. The bigger hoses won't be a problem, unless the poly pipe is compressing when it gets warm, I'd check that first.. You may be able to go to pirtek or somewhere and get oil rated hose, just a short bit to use for the adaptor end, either that or a couple of brass or stainless hose barb fittings with a thread on one end and screw them into the plastic catch can with some loctite on there too..

It will only pressurise if the inlet or outlet hoses are blocked or restricted, so the bigger hoses won't make it pressurise...

Latest posts

Back