Must have extras for D22 ST-R S5?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgilbert

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a new 2014 Navara D22 ST-R S5 which (if I do it soon) will come with a steel bull bar and a tow bar in the purchase price. I am thinking about optioning it up more in the purchase price (it will be a leased vehicle, so options can be tax-free too). What should I add? What are the "must have" extras ... within reason? Not trying to turn it into a Patrol!

My initial thoughts are an ARB cab (so I can have a fridge in the back), dual batteries, 12v plugs and Anderson plug, window tinting and driving lights. But what do other D22 owners consider "must-haves" for this model?

Use will be as a towing vehicle for a camper trailer which is of the "light" off road variety. Don't see us rock climbing or doing Landcruiser Park in it. But I can see us exploring bush tracks to find scenic camping spots.

Can they be fitted with cruise control as an extra? Worth it?

How prone are they to drowning the engine in water crossings (I see a lot of them with snorkels fitted)?

Happy to spend another $5000 or so on top of the purchase price to have it set up well from the start. How would you spend $5000 on yours?

The first and most important thing is to replace the factory suspension, allow around $1500 for a basic 40mm lift the stock suspension is only suitable for a boat anchor. At around 25k the tyres will need replacing with something decent, as for the rest if your not doing anything serious set it up to suit your camper trailer, you may even consider a canopy to protect your gear. The list is endless it all depends on "your" needs. No point in a 150ltr tank for an hour into the scrub from the city.

Shock absorbers are u/s from factory.. fit something good.. I went bilstiens and the ride is so much better. bulbar,driving lights and snorkel. Also remote lock with an immobiliser.. turning the key does not cut in in 2015..

Greg

If they are like the 2012s, get interior light switches for all doors. Not sure if this is an option or not

As ST-R stated, get rid of the stock suspension. As soon as you start loading the vehicle especially with accessories like bullbars and canopies it's not so good. I also went for a 40mm lift with Bilstein shocks and EFS leafs/torsion bars, it cost $1700 and would have been $400 to get someone to fit it.

A canopy is a great idea if you are setting it up for camping to leave you fridge in there, thats what I did as well. So pretty much your canopy, suspension, dual battery isolator, deep cycle battery, wiring and plugs will be close to $4500. I guess put the rest towards your fridge.

If you get the snorkel from Nissan, get the dealer to commit to correctly waterproofing it. They usually do a poor job, they just need to be a bit more careful with the sikaflex.

When I got my 2013 model neither cruise control or additional door open sensors were dealer accessories. There are probably aftermarket options but I think better things to spend it on.
Stock tyres are ok to start with but are they become pretty useless once they start to get worn so you'll want to think about that in 12-18 months as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips! Very helpful. Did not know about the suspension problem.

Is there any way to get dealers to not gouge on accessories? I need the accessories in the total purchase price from the dealer, but I'm not keen on paying twice as much for them to get that.

The only way I can think of is to find a second-hand D22 that already has them fitted.

Thanks for all the tips! Very helpful. Did not know about the suspension problem.

Is there any way to get dealers to not gouge on accessories? I need the accessories in the total purchase price from the dealer, but I'm not keen on paying twice as much for them to get that.

The only way I can think of is to find a second-hand D22 that already has them fitted.
Hey mate it's not so much a problem with the suspension just the improvement over standard is remarkable with an aftermarket kit.

tinted windows, spotties, block the egr after the first service.

Back