Just a question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baylock

Reaction score
Hi pplz,
Just a thought has occurred to me, has anyone ever had, or heard of and EGR pipe cracking in a way that it introduces exhaust gas into the coolant system(ZD30)??

I tried a search, but the moment you put EGR in the search field here you get one heck of a hay stack to sift through.

I believe the ZD30 has a water cooled EGR??

Thanx in advance.

No, but if its water cooled like the d40 its entirely possible if it cracks or even corrodes inside the cooler the gases will contaminate the coolant and coolant will enter the combustion chambers as steam or water as well.

The reason it occurred to me is that i have exhaust entering my coolant, but with no other symptoms of a cracked head / gasket, and my egr is blocked off at the intake, with the egr set up like this if it did crack, it would explain why i am getting bubbles, but not getting anything in the cylinders, nor able to plug the gap with any of the wonder goos, because it would always have positive, or equal pressure. as an experiment, i have ordered another blanking plate for the exhaust, ill throw that in on the weekend, top the radiator up to full again, and see if i still get instant bubbles.

ill be kicking my self if it has a result, because then i will have a $1300 paperweight sitting in my bedroom :p

im pretty sure there is no cooling system at all of egr pipe. ive pulled the hole pipe from the exhaust to the intake.

I posted this pic yesterday in another post. It shows the cooling system connecected to the EGR system so you might be on the right track. I'll have a look in the manual and see what else i can find.

Attachments

• thermostat.jpg
    thermostat.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 693
no water cooled egr on the zd30. however the egr valve is water cooled.

it would be a very rare fault, but not impossible. however i would expect to see coolant in the exhaust system (with egr blocked at intake) or in intake (if egr is not blocked off).

If there's water cooling of a component like that, then remove the water hoses and clamp them both onto a short piece of pipe, then clamp a piece of hose over the two pipes the hoses were on. Removes the possibility of contamination from this point entirely.

It will not cause any problems because if either end of the EGR tube is blocked there's no flow in the tube, so no hot gasses and no need to cool it (with near-boiling water, yeah that's cooling it!).

Back