Increasing Reliability/Longitivity?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tappet

Reaction score
What mods would you do to your D40 purely in the interest of making it last/more reliable and not necessarily more offroad able.

Strict service regime and twin row timing chain mod for starters.

Any other thoughts.

Thanks

I'd upgrade all the vacuum lines, put in a second fuel filter (with a lift pump) as well as a water trap/watcher. EGT gauge on the exhaust manifold right before the flange connecting the turbocharger. EGR block and catch can. Upgrade charge air piping, seal the snorkel properly. Remove the transmission cooler from the radiator and mount a separate cooler below the intercooler.

Underbody I'd place shields to deflect stones/sticks from gearbox/transfer case cabling and ABS cabling. I'd extend diff & gearbox breathers to a high point in the engine bay.

Old tony, how dose one put the egt probe in the exhaust manifold before the turbo. Any hints and tips??

I would have asked someone to do it, personally. My own EGT is yet to be installed, but I imagine they'd drill, weld a captive nut to the outside, then fit the probe.

I'd upgrade all the vacuum lines, put in a second fuel filter (with a lift pump) as well as a water trap/watcher. EGT gauge on the exhaust manifold right before the flange connecting the turbocharger. EGR block and catch can. Upgrade charge air piping, seal the snorkel properly. Remove the transmission cooler from the radiator and mount a separate cooler below the intercooler.

Underbody I'd place shields to deflect stones/sticks from gearbox/transfer case cabling and ABS cabling. I'd extend diff & gearbox breathers to a high point in the engine bay.

Few good ideas there. Many thanks! Have ticked off the EGR block, properly sealed the snorkel and extended the breathers.

So far I have been fanatical about changing the stock fuel filter every 5000k so would really like the idea of an additional filter and or trap. Any Ideas on the lift pump tho? Brand/ make/ rating to install?

Have read a few things about premature failure of Transfer Case output shaft seals. Been searching here without much success for ideas for covers of some sort for additional protection from the ingress of crud.

No trans cooler on mine as it's a manual but I was thinking synthetic oils for the Diffs, G'box T'case as well.

I've no idea on the pump but it'd have to have a very decent flow rate to keep up with the demands of the engine pump. I've thought of putting a header tank in up the front but given the flow rate (I was told around 16L per minute) I decided against it, but if I did go the 2nd filter + water trap route, I'd need to nut that one out.

We had a transfer case seal go (replaced under warranty) but everything's been fine since then - something tells me they had some faulty seals fitted to a range of cars and they were only refitting those that went - but ordinarily it isn't supposed to happen. Putting up guards can only help though. Have a look at Siringo's Tranny Thread (don't tell his wife he's been fiddling around with a tranny).

Latest posts

Back