I might have done some real damage??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baylock

Reaction score
Hi Guys, i did a quick search bt cant find anything exactly matching my problem:

A Couple of weeks ago while out 4wding i hit a watercrossing / puddle a little hard, and put the fan through the radiator, this was detected when i was on my way home, buzzing along the freeway, and there was steam coming up from the engine, and the temp gauge was reaching skyward, so needless to say i pulled over and stopped.

I have since then replaced the radiator, but coolant seems top be disappearing at an alarming rate. First i thought it was just clearing the air bubbles from the radiator, but it is still doing it. using about 200ml to 500ml a day on my 20 odd min trip each way to work.

The strange thing is, that it is using coolant, but it is not drawing from the overflow, that is still full every time i check, but the level in the radiator has gone down, usually to the the level of the tubes, or maybe a little lower.
Also, no mayo in oil.

Does this sound like i might have broken a head gasket, or god forbid head gasket? I there an easy way to check without forking out for a tester??

Thanx in advance.

Last edited:
sometimes if the water is not getting sucked up from the bottle it can be a faulty cap, not saying its your problem but worth throwing a new one on just incase.

IMO i do think it sounds like a head or a head gasket, there are a few basic ways to check but not all will show results even with a cracked head.
water in the oil,
oil residue in the overflow bottle,
bubbles in the overflow while engine is running,
water vapour constantly at the tail pipe,
using water but no signs of a leak,

You can have a co2 test done but as i said it can show a negative result but still may have a cracked head so it is no guarantee.

the other option is to pull it down and inspect, which may even mean having the head tested professionally, they may even X-ray it.

you could also use a product called "SEAL UP" its made from silica and you can buy it from auto shops like repco, you will notice it will separate into a clear layer on top and the silica particles on the bottom.
This stuff works unbelievably well, i have used it and so have a few others i know with great result that lasted for a long time in my case it lasted over 100,000km (and as far as i know would still be fine but the car was written off),
The only thing is you need to flush out the radiator of 100% of its coolant, if there is any coolant in the system it wont work.
To get it all out dont forget to remove the heater box hoses and flush it out too.
If you do it correctly it will work as the silica will melt in the crack where it is hot and will basically weld up the crack (a glass weld) and only cost you $10

Also it wont effect any other parts of the cooling system like products such as "CHEMI WELD" where they clog up the radiator and heater ect this wont do that due to how it works.

Anyway if it does work you will know it is the head or the gasket and you will be able to pull it down when you can find a more appropriate time, and you wont risk any further damage.

water in the oil,
cant find any, nothing on dipstick or cap

oil residue in the overflow bottle,
Not that i can see
bubbles in the overflow while engine is running,
nope :(
water vapour constantly at the tail pipe,
cant see any :/
using water but no signs of a leak,
only symptom i can find.....

Also, the radiator cap, as with the radiator are both new.

Last edited:
It's entirely possible that it's losing the coolant from the heater matrix. Start the car with the air conditioning turned OFF and watch the drain tube. Alternatively, unplug the hoses that enter the firewall and join them together - removes the heater from the equation altogether.

You can put a dye in the coolant and check it with a blacklight (some coolants already have this dye in them). If traces show up in the exhaust, it's your head. If they show up in the cabin or under the cabin, it's the heater hoses.

Check everywhere for leaks and pressure test if you can and try a new cap as suggested but unfortunately sounds like the head to me.

You may not see the bubbles in the overflow until temperature has been reached. Try starting it up with the cap off and see if you get bubbles from their if you haven't tried it already. It does take a few goes of the thermostat opening to get the air out. When I change my coolant I will have to keep toping up the radiator for at least four or five thermostat cycles. Being a full alloy engine, heat would not have done it any favors. I hope it a cheap fix though.

Cheers

Got lucky, one of the mechanics from work turned up while I was back in the depot, he was able to pressure test it for me, lost a lb in the time it took to have a smoke. Evidence of leakage around the drain plug, and from some other unidentified location that we can't see in the dark, with stuff in the way. Looks like I might get away with a warranty job yet. Not much I can do right now but keep topping it up till Wednesday :'(
I just hope they don't expect original packaging.

Bleeping cars, Took that radiator out, took it to natrad, they tested it, no leak. they offered to test it on car for me once i installed it, in-case i missed something. So home i went, put it back in filled it with water, bled the air out and took it over. about the same distance as it is for work. Low and behold, it didn't use any water. They pressure tested it again (While hot, which isn't going to help much with accurate pressure it should help us find any leaks), and... nothing.............. Topped up the little bit that was lost when it was de-pressurised with the lid off, drove it home, and damn it, water is still in there, and it showing evidence of having used the overflow.

AAARRRRGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, refill with coolant and ill take it for a spin tomorrow just to confirm, but looks like it fixed its self.

Baylock.

I had a new radiator fitted when i did exactly what you did by hitting water. I did kine at elliot falls cape york though. I had a similar problem when it was first fitted as the lovely cape mechanics kdidnt bleed properly. Took about 4 days maybe more of me topping up every stop we made. After it finally held fluid i havent had any issues since. Mine would sit just above the tubes inside the radiator and i would top up to till it overflowed. Make sure you have the heater running for a while to fill that chamber up aswell.

Rusty

Looks like it blowing bubbles to me mate, and with it using water its more then likely a cracked head or at the least a head gasket

Back