Hi all.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brisbrutale

Reaction score
Hi im John, and I own a thirsty 09 D40 King Cab Diesel Auto. Will try and get some pics up soon. Some mods - OME springs/ shocks, BFG KM2 muddies, ARB steel winch bar. Hope to see some of you soon

Attachments

• IMG00328-20090810-1403.jpg
    IMG00328-20090810-1403.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 32,268
Welcome mate, nice looking setup you have there! The tray in particular is a stand out, I opted for the Nissan alloy tray for my D22 and it is my biggest and only regret.

Cheers Brad

Welcome to the forum...

I'm not a D40 fan but your kingcab and setup is one I'd like if i didnt have to get a dualcab(D22).

Enjoy your time here.

thanks guys. The tray is actually a Nissan one. Steel, colour coded with timber floor. I added the checker plate. I think from memory it was a Dura tray build. Not sure, I looked at a few. Helps when you have a mate thats dealer principle at a Nissan Dealer

Welcome aboard!

When you say "thirsty", just how bad are we talking about?

430 kms from a tank (70 lts) see f$%#^&n thirsty. I can only put 70 litres in from empty (as in run out)

Ive supposedly had a fuel pick up mod (has made no difference) and reset the cpu and midly retarded the settings for the gearbox. Has made no difference apart from the fuel guage reads slightly different ie. at half its now around 300k's whereas before it was 250k's. I was told it was my driving style initially (i wasnt giving it to it enough and was told to make the gearbox change around 3k) which i tried for a while (its hard when at 3k in second youre doing 60+ km/hr.

Ive got no idea what else to do except do a patrol 4.5ltr petrol engine transplant and get bang for my buck!!!!!!

The D40 has its peak torque at 2,000rpm, anything above that is burning more fuel than needed for economy.

Try getting around at 2,000-2,500 for a bit. Only go up to 3,000 if you need to climb a hill or something. 16.27 litres per hundred is reasonable if you're towing or heavily loaded. It's a 55% increase in consumption over its rated economy, so if you're not loading an extra 900Kg on her, there's something in need of attention.

Is that economy with the trailer & gear?

mate i traditionaly drive at 2000 - 2500, thats why they said it wasnt hard enough. I constantly carried about 450kgs in the back including tray, so i know theres an issue, just them finding it is the problem. My mates dual cab (which should be heavier) get 650 round town and he doesnt hold back with it either

My dealer told me I was babying the car too, because he saw me driving around town and commented on how gentle I was. He told me that the diesel loves a bit of exercise and that I shouldn't hold back, just plant my foot and go!

Trouble is, when I do that I can watch the gauge fall almost, it's scary how much the thing drinks when I put my hoof in it.

Just on the math side: not sure what the tray weighs, I'm going to guess it's a little less than my tub and assume that you're carrying around 350Kg, which is similar to mine and so you ought to be getting similar (slightly better) economy too.

Give the reset a shot, it didn't hurt mine. Here's the procedure:

TO RESET

To carry out the reset carry out the following

Turn ignition on so all dash lights come on.

Wait 3 seconds

PUMP accelerator pedal 5 times within 5 seconds....

with foot now OFF accelerator wait 7 seconds...

After 7 seconds press and hold down accelerator pedal for 10 seconds...

After 10 seconds the Engine Management Light will start to flash, at this point remove foot from accelerator.

the Nav is now in diag mode, so let the EML flash for a bit. the press and hold the accelerator pedal down for more than 10 seconds..this will then reset ECU and fuel pump etc......and put them into learning mode.

NOTE: When the EML light is flashing, this is listing possible fault codes... so if you know how to read the fault codes or know the sequences then you can figure out any possible faults with your Nav with out getting the dealer to do it!! :D

I hope that helps, let us know how it goes!

I did the ECU reset on mine today using Old Tony's way, so will see if anything changes on mine, I was getting decent fuel economy to start with though.

I also did the ECU reset on mine yesterday, did about 200ks of country driving today and can't say I've noticed any real difference in the car yet. I wasn't get bad economy or anything that really screamed for me to do the reset and have wondered more then once today (while watching scangauge fairly closely for the trip) if I even did the reset right.

The one thing I can say so far is that there has been no negatives from doing the reset, and according to scangauge my fuel figures, temps etc are all fairly similar to those before the reset. Scangauge also tells me there has been no fault codes which I suppose is a good thing as well, although I don't need to do the reset for scangauge to report those anyway.

Latest posts

Back