Help to get the hid look

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juz

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls, am looking at getting a pair of 6000k lights for my d40 but don't want a led conversion kit just the bulbs for the driving light, parkers and fog. What are the best ones to get that give me the hid look and where can I get them as the standard ones in it I'm not happy with. Thanks everyone

don't do that! HID's in standard headlights blind oncoming drivers and is ILLEAGAL ! I don't care about you getting a fine I just don't want to come across you on the tar! I know a bloke that carries 1'' ball bearings for that exact reason... Strait through the radiator he tells me- he's nuts, but he's out there on the road! he drives a light blue F series tray truck.. just kidding :)I couldn't believe it when he told me- I ranted he could kill someone, to this he says "no ****s given- have you ever come across some dill with hid's in standard head lights- you cant see- even enough to pull over" ! I had to agree buuuut a ball bearing travelling at 100ks is a f'n weapon - still he says "i don't give a ****" ! I do avoid him now !

Again don't do it. The actual led in the bulb is not in the same spot as the filament in a H4 bulb so the light will be all over the place and giving other motorist the shits.

The 6000K colour temperature is way to blue. Do you realize that going that high in colour temp your light output (lumens) actually goes backwards. Your eye plays tricks with these high colour temp lights, it may look more brighter but it's not. The human eye has the best contrast when the light is in the middle of the colour specturm.

As above. Not sure I agree with the ball bearing issue but I can't say I'm surprised. Unlensed HID headlights are just pure stupidity on both sides: the driver has loads of scattered light so it's brighter but could be much better focussed and more effective - and the oncoming drivers are blinded, putting not only themselves at risk but the idiot with the unlensed HIDs at risk of a collision as well.

There's no better way to put that: HID globes in halogen reflectors just cause light at far too high a frequency to scatter everywhere. It's like asking all the other drivers to watch someone arc welding. If you're not happy to watch arc welding unshielded yourself, don't ask others to do it.

Now, if you want brighter lights - and I can understand that with the D40 barely holding a candle to ... a candle ... then there are alternatives.

Supercheap auto (other places will also stock these) have a range of headlight globes that improve the standard headlights of the D40.

The Philips X-tremeVision provides a claimed 130% extra light and is currently on special for $89.99 a pair. I haven't tried them myself, but others have reported a significant improvement with these globes.

The Narva Plus 120 at $82.85 a pair provides a claimed 120% extra light and I have used these (in my wife's car). Not sure that it's 120% more - it might be in the order of 30-40% based on a perceptual gauge, rather than a lux meter - but they definitely made a difference.

That's my pick of the 60/55W range. There are higher wattage globes which will put out more light. From the $13.95-per-globe SCA Halogen 100/90W to the IPF Fat Boys (about $180 a pair from ARB and possibly others). I've used the Fat Boys myself. Yes they are brighter, but they also seemed more fragile. My original (factory) globes are STILL going strong. I am not sure I like the extra power drawn through the thin headlight wires though, and another user of this forum came up with the solution to fix this too.

You can buy a H4 extension on eBay (here's one example) and get to work on it. You'll need extra wiring and some fuse holders plus a pair of relays. Call the female plug the output and the male plug the input. There are three wires - earth, low and high beam.

Connect pins 86 of the two relays to earth (which can be provided directly from the battery, ignoring the earth provided in the harness). Also connect this earth to the earth of the H4 socket.

Connect pin 85 to either low or high beam lines on the input plug (it doesn't matter as long as the output of this relay goes to the same position on the plug that goes in the headlight).

Connect pin 87 of the relay to the same position on the female output plug.

Repeat the previous two steps for the other power wire.

Now, grab that fuse and attach it to the battery. Run a decent sized cable towards the headlight and attach it to pin 30 of BOTH relays.

Repeat everything for the other headlight.

What you've done is increase the amount of power (voltage) available at both headlights. The headlight wiring is far to small and there are significant losses especially at higher loads (so if you DO choose the 100/90W globes it'll be even worse). This circuit fixes that.

Doing this WILL give you more light - legally. The halogen filaments are in the correct location as Tappet has described so that the light is actually directed where it's supposed to go rather than being scattered.

6000K is also (as Tappet points out) far too blue. It's actually illegal for its colour - I think the limit is 4300K. 6000K is well beyond that and easy to pick. Personally I can't wait for the police to do a blitz on stupidly bright or blue headlights. There are a few idiots in the Hunter with lights like that now and they're just so annoying. One idiot in a Hilux travels to work in the opposite direction to me each morning and one day I'm going to chase him down and get his number plate so I can report him.

Phillips crystal vision.
Make sure you do t touch them with your fingers.

Get them from powerbulbs dot come

No dont get the crystal vision, if they're the ones im thinking of, they're shit. I got those when one of my +120 blew, had less light than all the other cars on the road and felt like a knob rocking the 4300k blue. I got them because they were cheap. They wern't even ADR approved. Back of packet was all Japanese.
Needless to say, got another pair of Narva +120 next time i drove past an autocheap or super barn.
My 2c is stay away from "blue" halogen bulbs. Halogen light isn't supposed to be blue. If you want a little bit more light get the ones that say +120, or +130. Make sure they are ADR approved, not some wanky bullshit designed for 2nd world market.

No dont get the crystal vision, if they're the ones im thinking of, they're shit. I got those when one of my +120 blew, had less light than all the other cars on the road and felt like a knob rocking the 4300k blue. I got them because they were cheap. They wern't even ADR approved. Back of packet was all Japanese.
Needless to say, got another pair of Narva +120 next time i drove past an autocheap or super barn.
My 2c is stay away from "blue" halogen bulbs. Halogen light isn't supposed to be blue. If you want a little bit more light get the ones that say +120, or +130. Make sure they are ADR approved, not some wanky bullshit designed for 2nd world market.
+1 on that, good advice and the way to go.

As above. Not sure I agree with the ball bearing issue but I can't say I'm surprised. Unlensed HID headlights are just pure stupidity on both sides: the driver has loads of scattered light so it's brighter but could be much better focussed and more effective - and the oncoming drivers are blinded, putting not only themselves at risk but the idiot with the unlensed HIDs at risk of a collision as well.

There's no better way to put that: HID globes in halogen reflectors just cause light at far too high a frequency to scatter everywhere. It's like asking all the other drivers to watch someone arc welding. If you're not happy to watch arc welding unshielded yourself, don't ask others to do it.

Now, if you want brighter lights - and I can understand that with the D40 barely holding a candle to ... a candle ... then there are alternatives.

Supercheap auto (other places will also stock these) have a range of headlight globes that improve the standard headlights of the D40.

The Philips X-tremeVision provides a claimed 130% extra light and is currently on special for $89.99 a pair. I haven't tried them myself, but others have reported a significant improvement with these globes.

The Narva Plus 120 at $82.85 a pair provides a claimed 120% extra light and I have used these (in my wife's car). Not sure that it's 120% more - it might be in the order of 30-40% based on a perceptual gauge, rather than a lux meter - but they definitely made a difference.

That's my pick of the 60/55W range. There are higher wattage globes which will put out more light. From the $13.95-per-globe SCA Halogen 100/90W to the IPF Fat Boys (about $180 a pair from ARB and possibly others). I've used the Fat Boys myself. Yes they are brighter, but they also seemed more fragile. My original (factory) globes are STILL going strong. I am not sure I like the extra power drawn through the thin headlight wires though, and another user of this forum came up with the solution to fix this too.

You can buy a H4 extension on eBay (here's one example) and get to work on it. You'll need extra wiring and some fuse holders plus a pair of relays. Call the female plug the output and the male plug the input. There are three wires - earth, low and high beam.

Connect pins 86 of the two relays to earth (which can be provided directly from the battery, ignoring the earth provided in the harness). Also connect this earth to the earth of the H4 socket.

Connect pin 85 to either low or high beam lines on the input plug (it doesn't matter as long as the output of this relay goes to the same position on the plug that goes in the headlight).

Connect pin 87 of the relay to the same position on the female output plug.

Repeat the previous two steps for the other power wire.

Now, grab that fuse and attach it to the battery. Run a decent sized cable towards the headlight and attach it to pin 30 of BOTH relays.

Repeat everything for the other headlight.

What you've done is increase the amount of power (voltage) available at both headlights. The headlight wiring is far to small and there are significant losses especially at higher loads (so if you DO choose the 100/90W globes it'll be even worse). This circuit fixes that.

Doing this WILL give you more light - legally. The halogen filaments are in the correct location as Tappet has described so that the light is actually directed where it's supposed to go rather than being scattered.

6000K is also (as Tappet points out) far too blue. It's actually illegal for its colour - I think the limit is 4300K. 6000K is well beyond that and easy to pick. Personally I can't wait for the police to do a blitz on stupidly bright or blue headlights. There are a few idiots in the Hunter with lights like that now and they're just so annoying. One idiot in a Hilux travels to work in the opposite direction to me each morning and one day I'm going to chase him down and get his number plate so I can report him.

What can I say Tony- his view was/is "they" don't give a fukc about anyone else so "he" certainly doesn't give 2 fukcs about them. I said to him if it goes through the window you could kill someone - Again no fukcs given.... He's comment to that was after the first time he coped it he couldn't even see the side of the road nor the white line and all he could do was hit the brakes.. He had his wife and three kids in the car Tony ! Anywayssss don't do it ! buy some rigit industries driving lights- I love'm! Bright but not that bright you cant see an on coming car.. cheers vic

Attachments

• 20150924_181633.jpg
    20150924_181633.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 65

No don't get Narva. I had three sets go on me. Each time a different side. Always installed with care. Imo complete rubbish.

Had my crystal visions in for 2 years now no probs.
Maybe you bought knock off's?

Everyone has their own experiences. Trial and error.

Definitely no Japanese on my packet

Let's not forget he wants the 'hid look' too...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back