Help pls Reverse lights

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERaZ3R

Reaction score
Hi Guys! I'm new to this forum.

I own a Nissan Navara D40 ST-X 2.5lt Diesel dual cab and automatic transmission.

I need some ideas on,why my reverse lights aren't working.
I've checked both light globes and they are fine. I've checked all the fuses near the glovebox and under the hood?

I read up on something about reverse switch. I don't know where that is and what it looks like. Could someone please help.

Welcome to the forum!

I'd also check the earth to the lights, perhaps use chocks + handbrake, put the vehicle in reverse and test the socket against a known good earth. My own left hand tail light had some corrosion on it and it took out both tail lights.

The reverse switch is inside the gearbox. It's not something that commonly fails. The gearbox tells the ECU when it's in reverse, the ECU tells the BCM to bring on the reverse lights and up they come.

If your instrument cluster (which gets the message from the ECU) shows 'R' when you're in reverse, your reverse switch is fine.

Welcome to the forum!

I'd also check the earth to the lights, perhaps use chocks + handbrake, put the vehicle in reverse and test the socket against a known good earth. My own left hand tail light had some corrosion on it and it took out both tail lights.

The reverse switch is inside the gearbox. It's not something that commonly fails. The gearbox tells the ECU when it's in reverse, the ECU tells the BCM to bring on the reverse lights and up they come.

If your instrument cluster (which gets the message from the ECU) shows 'R' when you're in reverse, your reverse switch is fine.

When i got my D22 the reverse switch was faulty, causing no reverse lighting.

but yes, do as OldTony suggests, mine was manual and i think my switch only operates the lights, yours being auto im sure does much more and may have given you other greif.

Check whether you have power to the reverse lights using a test light or multimeter. This will help diagnose whether or not its an earthing issue.

Hi unknown , did you replace the switch yourself if so , which one was it as there are two wired together on the gear box

Thanks Russ

I've read somewhere..
but to be sure please check ur fuse box.. D40 actually have 4 fuse box around.
1. beside the glove compartment (inside the cabin)
another three fuse boxes are under the bonnet. open up
2. near fuel pump, rectangle box (left hand side when facing the bonnet)
3. next to ABS Pump, rectable box (right hand side, just behind the air filter compartment)
4. and behind the number 3 fuse box there is a square box.. it is a fuse box too

open up the number 4 fuse box (square one), and the reversing lamp fuse should be there.

hope it helps.

* just found the link.. check this out.. https://youtu.be/kPKOnuJjOGY

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back