Hello from Norway

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diepod

Reaction score
Hello forumers!

After reading a lot in this forum I went out and bought a 14 mod Navara with the 3.0 v6 engine.
I had a Jimny as my DD for 5 years and even thought I will miss the daily drives with it ( keeping it as a sunday car), the comfort and power in the Nav is like day and night in comparison!

I hope I will learn enough about the nav to be a contributing member of this forum.

Short question: Is it hard to change the bulb for the glow plugs? There is no glow plug indication when starting in the dash board. It starts ok, so i guess it is a burnt bulb?

Br Henrik

Welcome to the forum.

When you first turn on the ignition, all of your lights should come on (including the glow light).

You can test the combination meter. It doesn't really take long, just be careful to follow it closely. I'll bolden the important parts.

------------------------------------
HOW TO INITIATE COMBINATION METER SELF-DIAGNOSIS MODE

NOTE: Once entered, Combination Meter Self-Diagnosis Mode will function with the ignition switch in ON or START. Combination Meter Self-Diagnosis Mode will exit upon turning the ignition switch to OFF or ACC.

To initiate Combination Meter Self-Diagnosis Mode, refer to the following procedure.

Turn the ignition switch ON, while holding the odometer/trip meter switch for 5 - 8 seconds.

NOTE: If the diagnosis function is activated the odometer/trip meter will display tESt. Push meter switch for each test - where you see "Next test" just push the trip meter button.

Next test requested GAGE
Performs sweep of all
gauges, then displays
present gauge values.
Performs checksum tests
on ROM and EE.
Gauges sweep within 10 seconds

Next test requested (All segments illuminated)
Lights all odometer/trip
meter segments.

Next test requested bulb
Illuminates all micro-controlled
lamps/LEDs
regardless of SW configuration.
Odometer/trip meter A/B
switch engaged and
released = next test
requested

Turn the ignition OFF, operation complete.

-------------------------------------------------

That's from an American site (I obtained it ages ago). I'm fairly sure it works, but can't recall if it's model-specific, it's in my own set of docs for my car (2009 D40). But since the worst it could do is reset your tripmeter, give it a shot!

Hi Diepod,
Don't get too concerned about the glow plug indicator light on a V9X. I have heard of 20 year old Eskimos that have yet to see it!
Basically, it doesn't come on for long but it does illuminate. The attached chart will tell you the parameters.
Removing the instrument cluster is a cluster f... in itself, so for mine I am not sure that I would be delving in to fix a globe unless you notice it not starting well.
The manual that I have is not really good to try and find the process to check it all (I will keep looking).
Good work by Old Tony for that gem of a procedure. Could be a good trick.

Attachments

• V9X Glow Plug Conditions.jpg
    V9X Glow Plug Conditions.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 0
Thank you for the replies!
Unfortunately the self diagnosis did not work.

I guess if not even Eskimos see the light, then I will never see it here when it is just -1c outside! Thank you for the cart with the time/temperature, I will just wait a fiew seconds before starting ( as I already did). It cranks for about 1 second before starting, regardless of the outside temp so should be good then.

Thank you 😊

Ok, quick update. The battery had 12.5v with ignition off. As I was doing some interior cleaning of the car I put the battery on a maintenance charge while at it. As I turned the ignition on to lower a window, what did I see in the panel? The glow plug indication! I have read on this forum that a lot of the nav problems can be solved by charging the battery, and now I have experienced it myself. Fun 😊

So it turned out that the previous owner of the car had 0 knowledge of electronics. When i connected a trailer to the car, the trailer and car wiring caught fire after 5 minutes of driving. All 3 wires (2x negative and 1x positive wire was going directly to the + on the battery unfused. How it survived like this for 9 years is beyond me)

After som investigation where i found 3 earth faults on different added part's such as the trailer electric and hi-beams, I ended up tearing all non factory wiring out and redid it all.

The car started to behave a lot different after this, and i guess that was the reason for no glow plug light.

As a bonus when redoing the electrics, i added marker lights to the side steps. See this Picture

So it turned out that the previous owner of the car had 0 knowledge of electronics. When i connected a trailer to the car, the trailer and car wiring caught fire after 5 minutes of driving. All 3 wires (2x negative and 1x positive wire was going directly to the + on the battery unfused. How it survived like this for 9 years is beyond me)

After som investigation where i found 3 earth faults on different added part's such as the trailer electric and hi-beams, I ended up tearing all non factory wiring out and redid it all.

The car started to behave a lot different after this, and i guess that was the reason for no glow plug light.

As a bonus when redoing the electrics, i added marker lights to the side steps. See this Picture
2nd attempt at picture

That was very lucky - good that you fixed it properly. Here's that image: all I'm about to do is click on the "picture" icon (says "Insert image (Ctrl+P)" when you hover the mouse over it, just above the text I'm typing now). Then - with the folder where I've saved the image open - I'm going to right-click on the image file and hold the right button down while I drag the image onto the "Drop Image (or click here)" box that appears after clicking "Insert image". Obviously I'm pressing ENTER a couple of times to move the insertion point down a little so it's not tacked directly onto this paragraph!

IMG20231104150349-3.jpg

Latest posts

Back