GROUP PURCHASE FOR AFTERMARKET UCAs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok just found some info that might help out with PRG arms
According to the NCOP Heim joints are legal for use

4.10 HEIM JOINTS
Figure LS7 Typical Standard Heim Joint
Heim joints are also known as a rose joints and spherical rod ends.
The Heim joint is a rod end bearing, refer to Figure LS7, that may be used on the end of control
rods, steering links, tie rods, or anywhere a precision articulating joint is required. They
comprise a ball swivel with an opening through which a bolt or other attaching hardware may
pass that is pressed into a circular casing with a threaded shaft attached. The threaded portion
may be either male or female.
Heim joints are made to a variety of standards in terms of strength and durability. Early
versions were prone to failure and had a poor durability history. As a result Heim joints must
only be used in critical applications such as steering and suspension if they meet all of the
following criteria:
 The movement of the rod/component to which the joint is attached does not exceed the
allowable articulation angle of the Heim joint as specified by the Heim joint
manufacturer;
 The Heim joint does not hang-up on existing components; and
 A signatory confirms that the Heim joint has sufficient durability and strength in all
directions for its intended purpose.
It is strongly recommended that Heim joints be protected by suitably designed dust covers to
reduce the risk of premature wear.
Section LS Tyres, Rims, Suspension and Steering
Version 2.0 – 1 January 2011 Page 28/LS85
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP11_Section_LS_Tyres_Suspension_Steering_V2_1Jan_2011%20v3.pdf

see page 28

Bought a set of these for mine a few weeks ago and let me tell you they are worth every penny!!

Total Chaos 05+ Frontier/Xterra/Path Upper Control Arms | eBay

no squeaks in the front now and the move so much more than stock, definately worth the $$$$$ to all those thinking about it

If i was hard on the brakes and steering, i had no tyre to gaurd contact, if i do the same now i do cause the front end has more wheel movement/travel

Even drives nicer on the road with them in

Attachments

• !cid_753.jpg
    !cid_753.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 134
The TC UCA are almost same mateials as the PRG UCA . The only real difference between these two high quality arms is the TC arms use bush's and the PRG units have adjustable Heim joints.
Both use UniBalls instead of ball joints and both are made from Chromoly Steel.
From memory the TC arm uses a 1" Uniball and the PRG uses a 3/4".
Both have been extensively tested in the US and it basically comes down to if you need the adjustment or not.

Enquiry

hi all this is my 1st post on here so any help would be great.
I've been watching this thread as I'm looking at getting a PRG 3inch 4wd coilover advanced package.Just need to know if the gear will fit a thai built truck and if I would be able to order this in the group purchase? How will shipping work as I am located on the Gold Coast?
Cheers.

Hey Climber
welcome to the forum

With a little luck I hope to get time to compare the Thai and Spanish UCA this weekend so will have at least a better idea whats happening.

If we have a member in melbourne we could arrange them to pick up the gear and ship it via courier to the guys who bought the gear .
It wont be easy to organise but it will be worth it

I just had a thought.
Instead of buying upper control arns what about those extended spindle bits
I cant think of what there called but there in this pic shown by a pair of ovaries.
NavaraD404-5inchWeb.jpg

There suited for a 4 inch lift but since the LCA isnt dropped that will keep the UCA clear of clanga langa langing = am I right??!?!?
And as for engineering who the hell will pick up on a aftermarket cast unit??!?!
The question is can these be bought seperately?!?!?

whatever way it goes I live close to Melbz and are very happy to organize this whole group purchase. I intend to go to the Navara muster also so that alone can save guys in extra freight costs if both parties are attending.
Either way I am happy to work with all you guys on this!!!
as first stated a uniform decision needs to be made first then we can go from there.

Last edited:
Info about the spindle lifting method on the US forums. General consensus is that they are only suitable for 'poser' lifts and are too weak for 4x4ing. SO, good for a 2x2 perhaps, but not for 4 wheelers.

Ok so I heard today thru one of our suppliers that it appears Calmini is in a bit of financial trouble at the moment so could be risky ordering off them direct.

Also I think you have to be careful of the spindle idea as I think if you alter the relationship between top and bottom control arms too much you can cause bumpsteer and handling problems.
This was why I was a bit unsure about the ball joint lift spacer offered. I will have to find out for sure what the relationship is with the upper and lower arms and will post up any info I find.

Thai built trucks have a different ball joint hence why the calmini spindles (made for spanish built stx) will not fit thai built without getting the hole reamed out to suit. Not the end of the world but a headache just the same.

Ah that might explain a few things
One of the guys was looking for souls interrested un importing calmini kits, hence my post in the for sale section. they might be trying to get shy of a heap of stock.
Might have to contact the guy at work and let him know the whispers you have heard .
you know the old story
Sounds too good to be true ......

what I had posted in the for sales from this guy at work ( military type person )

5" Lift kit for D40 total cost (inc SHIPPING, GTS and DUTY) will be $1800-$1900 + postage from Adelaide to your door
5" Lift kit for D40 + Sway Away coil will be $2500 + postage from Adelaide to your door

Info about the spindle lifting method on the US forums. General consensus is that they are only suitable for 'poser' lifts and are too weak for 4x4ing. SO, good for a 2x2 perhaps, but not for 4 wheelers.

so does that mean the Calmini lifts are too weak for 4x4ing?? as they use the extended spindles also?
And as for the putting the control arms out of alignment with each other will that do anything other than increasing camber slightly??

The best part of the calmini kit is the spindles, they are solid and heavy as hell

The welds on the drop brackets are prone for breaking, if you want to wheel em fairly hard with a calmini kit i would go over and re-weld all the brackets and tabs on the cross members to beef em up

There are plenty of photos around where they have broken

Other than losing ground clearence from it im happy with mine, the ground clearence can be overcome by some good coil overs and crank em up a bit

cheers sean

Hi Guys, Just a little bit off topic but who are you guys insured with?
When I was going for a 3 inch lift I shopped around for insurance and couldn't find anyone to cover me so I settled for a 2 inch lift.
cheers!:

Hi Guys, Just a little bit off topic but who are you guys insured with?
When I was going for a 3 inch lift I shopped around for insurance and couldn't find anyone to cover me so I settled for a 2 inch lift.
cheers!:

If you have a 3" lift certified, then there should be no problems with insurance. Problem is any lift over 2" requires a lane change test. Very expensive.

I had to have all my PRG engineered and that included the lane change test etc and all up to get the UCA the struts and the wheels done was $825 in total .Insured with GIO and they said as long as its legally registered they didnt care
However they then classed the truck as "Modified" so my excess went up to $700 from $600

Latest posts

Back