Factory or aftermarket roof racks??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXR8ED

Reaction score
Hello there knowledgeable people
I am trying to decide if I should get factory Roof Racks or after market as I'm not sure if I like the idea of mounting a strip on the roof instead if door mounted. So you can understand price is not an issue with this decision as Nissan are throwing some free accessories at me for screwing me around on extras I got when I bought the ute. So advice and pros and cons. Also if you can think of any other extras I should consider instead, I'm open for suggestions. So far the ute has, key less entry, snorkel, tub liner, canopy, steel bull bar with spotties and tow bar.
Cheers
Glenn

The first thing you need to know. The Nissan branded stuff, is just rebadged other brands. So dont stress or worry about buying after market stuff. Especially if you can get a better price.

Get the roof mounted strip. It's stronger, will allow you to take more weight, and won't rattle loose like the door mounted racks. I've had the door mounted stuff, and after one trip where I had to retighten it every day and even had to pull it apart and put it back together twice in the space of 3 weeks, I was well over them.

I've had the strip mounted racks in for over a year now, and they've not come loose, or caused issue yet.

exactly what josh said, I've had door mounted ones and they scratched my paint to ****! definitely roof mounted strips imo!

I put mine on myself, Its a worry drilling into the roof but its not hard. Doing it myself i know its had paint put in the holes and i used a automotive flexible sealant in the holes and i dipped the rivets as well. i,ve had the sill mounted racks as well and they can damage door rubbers as well

Mines a 2003 model with factory fitted strip roof bar system and I can't fault it, the strips share the load along their length and I've had nothing fail yet, sorry no experience with other types though. Mine mostly carries a double kayak on trips at freeway speeds and off road (slower).

Whats involved with fitting the standard track into the gutter on the roof? Is it glued on or are screws/rivets required? If screws or rivets, how do you go about removing the roof liner in order to conceal the screws/rivets?

I had a look at mine, it was factory fitted so I didn't do it myself but it looks like the tracks are riveted to the roof and the tracks have a thin sealing strip under them, if that's the case then I imagine you don't have to remove the roof lining, but you would have to be careful when drilling not to punch through the inside.

+1 rivets into the roof. I think I got quoted $350 installed (in Townsville $$$). I was told / read the roof can only hold 110kg max, and the factory racks can hold 90kg. So you also need to add up the weight of the racks, the basket (if you're having one) and items you're going to carry up there. Not that you want too much up high as it will bugger your center of gravity a lot. I thought the factory racks were the best price for weight carried going round ..... and they look good too IMO

And the racks that clip down to your door frame buggered my paint up as well. have fun!

Just thought i'd share how i did mine on the weekend. Roof basket is next.

Attachments

• photo(5).jpg
    photo(5).jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 162
  • photo(7).jpg
    photo(7).jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 142
im looking into rhino bars and a custom roof rack from a mob in Newcastle...
Works out close to the same price as an arb rack ( permanently fixed to the roof)
And i can have it powder coated.

Latest posts

Back