engine rattling over 2500 rpm

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MICK69

Reaction score
Hi just wondering if any one can help. I just had service on my 02 d22 and now when i go over 2500 rpm theres a ticking rattle sort of noise any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Is it diesel or petrol.If it is petrol it sounds like it is pinging and the timing may be out or you have shit fuel.If its petrol bang some octane boost in it.
If it is diesel ask them if they adjusted the injector pump as this wll put the timing out on a diesel and check that you have oil in it.Does the noise sound like its in the top or bottom of the engine

its diesel and theres plenty of oil in it my mate is a nissan mechanic he did it dont think he adjusted injector pump it is exactly like its pinging only does it when revs are up had same prob in my v8 ute when i ran normal unleaded would do it when i ran ultimate it wouldnt. i normally run caltex diesel but it got a tank of bp ultimate diesel in it now so could it be the fuel? worst part is mate is now on holidays with out his phone

Last edited:
its nearly empty now so will go back to god old caltex see if it helps. dave what are shims

Hi mick i have a 02 zd30 mines been rattling away in the top end some where for the last couple of years it sounds like shims talked to nissan about it and they reckon no way i run a bit of 2 stroke oil in me diesel that made things a bit quieter so i reckon it was me fuel pump.

Hi mudfish whats this a bout 2 stroke in diesel. My mate had a quick look at it the other day mentioned something about egr valve? its going back in for a look will post what the outcome is

The theory is you add 2 stoke oil to your diesel, hang you left bum cheek off the seat while driving downhill in reverse holding on to the steering wheel with one hand and something stumpy with the other hand, then you fart into a rubber tube connected to your stereo and see if you can't bring all your passengers to the verge of throwing up and you'll improve your fuel economy by eleventy twelve percent.

Or you could just read this and make up your own mind.
http://www.navara.asia/general-tech-talk/1457-adding-2-stroke-oil-diesel.html

Don't go overboard and follow through or you will end up with more than just a fuel economy problem, although you might end up with another additive that can start forums around the world humming with right and wrong.

mate has had car today apparently it was an exhaust leak the egr gasket was rooted the pipe was loose and was warped didnt think that would make a rattle noise but it must do new gasket and pipe filed down they rekon its all good fingers crossed that was it

Latest posts

Back