Insane rattle noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TorqueNDiesel

Reaction score
Hey guys, so from when I purchased it my YD25 2010 D22 was running perfect and quiet until recently. Attached is a video of the issue, I am not sure on what is happening as the rattle comes in on deceleration and holding the rpm's but stops on acceleration, it also only happens once the engine is warmed up. The rattle occurs above 1500rpm. It sounds to be coming from inside the engine but am not sure and can not pin point it. Any help would be greatly appreciated 👍 (in video engine was held just under 2k rpm the whole time) (video is in 2 parts for size engine starts at idle)

Attachments

• VID_20221223_143222345~3.mp4
    37.1 MB
  • VID_20221223_143222345~4.mp4
    40.7 MB
These ones are always tough.

It's not a boost leak. Boost leaks don't happen when decelerating, in fact if you monitor the fuel flow parameters in the ECU you'll see the fuel injectors aren't opened when decelerating, so the turbo can't be driven hard at all.

Timing chains do come to mind. Very rare to hear of any troubles with them on the D22 but it is a similar engine to the D40 YD5 so it's a (remote) possibility.

There may be a balancer in the engine - not certain on that, only some of the D40s had them - and that might be a little loose when the engine isn't loaded.

I'd try sticking a mechanic's stethoscope to the engine and having a listen inside the chain housing.

These ones are always tough.

It's not a boost leak. Boost leaks don't happen when decelerating, in fact if you monitor the fuel flow parameters in the ECU you'll see the fuel injectors aren't opened when decelerating, so the turbo can't be driven hard at all.

Timing chains do come to mind. Very rare to hear of any troubles with them on the D22 but it is a similar engine to the D40 YD5 so it's a (remote) possibility.

There may be a balancer in the engine - not certain on that, only some of the D40s had them - and that might be a little loose when the engine isn't loaded.

I'd try sticking a mechanic's stethoscope to the engine and having a listen inside the chain housing.
Yeah I'll certainly be having more of a look tomorrow and let you know if I'm able to point out anything.

Otherwise if not I may need some options to work with, fairly new to the YD25 and am not sure on any main problems it can have.

The 2010 D22 was a fairly reliable workhorse. Not many problems reported, although a very recent experience by a member is available here.
Yeah wow, would be preferable if that was not to happen, that seems like a bad day.

I have experienced no loss in power though and it still idles fine so hoping it's not something that major.

Anything you know of that could make that noise shown in the video?

Anything you know of that could make that noise shown in the video?

Yes, timing chains, hence the need for the stethoscope. Touch it to the block, you'll hear the sound. Touch the probe to the timing housing it should be quite loud.

I suppose it could also be an exhaust gas leak, often between exhaust manifold and turbocharger look for black sooty emissions around any cracks/gaps), but it shouldn't be very pronounced when decelerating..

Hi there, after whatching the vids, it sounds just like my one did but mine is a ZD30. I checked everything, talked to everyone and not one could fined what was wrong. The only thing everyone did not cover was fuel as in a dose of bad fuel as in filled up after a refueling tanker had been to our servo. So I went out and purchased some LiquidMoly Injector cleaner and ran a complete tank through it and then to safe guard ir from ever happening again I purchased some Fuel Doctor and guess what? all good now. The rattling went away after the treatment of the liquid Moly so in the end it was dirty/bad fuel that was causing the injectors to make a rattling noise. Could be something as simple as that plus using the liquid molly and now the fuel doctor keeps it all clean including the injector pump.

Last edited:
Yes, timing chains, hence the need for the stethoscope. Touch it to the block, you'll hear the sound. Touch the probe to the timing housing it should be quite loud.

I suppose it could also be an exhaust gas leak, often between exhaust manifold and turbocharger look for black sooty emissions around any cracks/gaps), but it shouldn't be very pronounced when decelerating..
I'm not sure on it being a timing chain as the noise only happens once the engine has warmed up, timing chain should make noise from the startup.

Hi there, Now I remember an old time mechanic telling me that if a noise occurs with the engine like it sounds like a timing chain, check the serpentine belt belt first. He said when certain blets are worn they do end up sounding like a cam chain/timing chain on these engines. He also stated use a good quality replacement like a ryco etc. I would check that out first as on my old 2005 ZD30 did this and changed the belt over to a new ryco and all nice and quiet. Just saying as you never know.
Yeah I have seen many people talk about this and will be putting new belts on once the clutch kit arrives for my Aircon (no it's not the Aircon as it has no belt on because it was sticking).

But the main part that has stumped me is that it only happens once the engine is warmed up?

Take all the belts off and start the engine. That will get rid of the belts as a cause. As old tony said get a stethoscope, long screwdriver and listen to the timing cover, if it is chains you will hear them. I can tell you now it is better to safe that go through what I had to.

I bet that you have a major issue happening with the timing chain and tensioners.
How can I be sure? What you have described about it is exactly what mine did, it is most noted when coming off the power and going down hill.
I got 446ks out of mine.

While it's rare to have a post on here about D22 YD25 timing chains failing, it's very, very common to read about it on FB pages. That's likely due to the age differences of posters on FB compared to those posting on here.

That single row chain on the bottom seems to be the weak link if servicing hasn't been kept up &/or the Ute has been driven hard.

I bet that you have a major issue happening with the timing chain and tensioners.
How can I be sure? What you have described about it is exactly what mine did, it is most noted when coming off the power and going down hill.
I got 446ks out of mine.
Yeah it's certainly possible, I'm thinking I'll take it to a mechanic just for a quote on what they think is the problem as they will be able to have the tools there to hopefully find the issue.

I will then go off what they can pin point and replace what's necessary.

Does anyone know the best timing chain kit for value and quality?

While it's rare to have a post on here about D22 YD25 timing chains failing, it's very, very common to read about it on FB pages. That's likely due to the age differences of posters on FB compared to those posting on here.

That single row chain on the bottom seems to be the weak link if servicing hasn't been kept up &/or the Ute has been driven hard.
As said above it's certainly possible as it is used as hard offroader.

Latest posts

Back