EGT sensor location

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camo.b

Reaction score
so ive been running a auberins gauge for probably a year now with the probe in the EGR port in the exhaust manifold...long story but the turbo blew and ive recently fitted a forefront billet replacement...had to wait a few weeks for stock to arrive so i thought i would relocate the probe to just before the turbo flange.
wow what a big diffrence in readings....EGR port maxed out at high 300s and the pre turbo spot hit 716 on the way home tonight...im running the motor in stock form again to let the turbo settle in for a few weeks.so no chip no additional boost but i have a 3" dump and exhaust and with a good flogging up a hill its reaching high 600s and tipping over to 700c

your sensor must have been fairly short and never got out into the main gas flow. i had that with one of mine but it was only 100c difference.

Possible probe was 50mm past the egr plate and had a good dose of soot but im guessing it really wants a 100mm probe in there

auberins have a long sensor which is also open tip for fast reaction. thats the one i ended up getting.

I just ordered that exposed tip one also and a few others from them..needed some in pre and post intercooler and one in the dump just for shits and giggles

pre and post temps will be interesting to see.
the trouble with after turbo egt sensor is your guessing at what the drop is.

Dump pipe reading They say is a 200°c drop..will see soon
Very keen to see the intercoolers performance..i feel like im running too hot already

Last edited:
Hey Camo,

Any chance of throwing up some pics of where you put the sensors? I just bought an autron gauge kit and not sure the best place to put it (as it'll be pillar mounted probably have this as main/most important reading).

I've just installed a forefront intercooler and would like to monitor it's effectiveness so was thinking that I'd get an auberin (Or two if they can only take one sensor?) but again not sure where to put sensors.

Did you install the probe yourself?

The autron has a piece that has to be welded, i don't have a mig welder and I don't think I'd be confident even if I did. So not sure where I should take it and how much I'd expect to pay for that..?

Would be interested to compare temps with probes in the same place...

Cheers, hope that wasn't a thread hijack.

-scott

Just realise you have a d40 and I have a d22 so not sure if comparisons are going to be any use at all and pictures might be less useful too :S

" thinking that I'd get an auberin (Or two if they can only take one sensor?) "

You can run multiple probes to the one guage as long as they're of the same type, you just need a switch with multiple on positions and you can change on the fly.

Hey Rumpig,

Noticed on your dash that you have two, is that right? What are you measuring and where did you put the probes?

(Sent a pm to you but maybe it got lost)

Cheers,

Scott

about to install a egt gauge. was going to install the probe where the egr pipe bolts onto the exhaust manifold. have made a 3mm blanking plate and get rid of that half of the egr pipe. how much probe should you have sticking into the manifold. i will have about 30mm min. will that be enough, too much or not enough? cheers

about to install a egt gauge. was going to install the probe where the egr pipe bolts onto the exhaust manifold. have made a 3mm blanking plate and get rid of that half of the egr pipe. how much probe should you have sticking into the manifold. i will have about 30mm min. will that be enough, too much or not enough? cheers
D22 or d40? Im sure the egr port on a 40 isnt hot enough for a decent reading..mine maxed out there at about 400...where as pre turbo its 800.

Its a easy one to plumb into..give it a go and see what it reads.my experience says its too cold unless you have a 6" bent probe.i had a 4" and it was in as far as possible.

i was going to get rid of that half of the egr pipe, put in a blanking plate and the probe into the blanking plate

I chopped of the end of that egr plate welded it up drilled and tapped.used the plate as my blank.im a spur of the moment type of guy tho.

I can get to 800 with the probe just before the turbo on a stock motor in summer.but thats flat out up a big hill in 6th.775 is my alarm limit

Latest posts

Back