Quantcast

DPF or not?

The Navara Forum

Help Support The Navara Forum:

gandj

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've just had a pre-sale roadworthy done on my spanish built D40 2012 STX 550 and the guy has failed it because the DPF has been removed or blocked off. I had a chip added in 2016 but I can't imagine they removed the DPF during installation - that would be illegal. Does the guy know what he's talking about / did that model have a DPF?
Cheers.......GandJ

tweak'e

Reaction score
i'm not up on the 550 but i do see dpf delete kits available so i guess they must have a dpf.
a full delete kit is usually easy to see as its a normal pipe. but a smashed out dpf is harder to tell.

you can't "block it off" a dpf. they might have blocked off the egr.

are they doing an emissions test? ie probe up the exhaust pipe to test the exhaust gas?

Yogi_97

Reaction score
Im pretty sure I have read somewhere on here that the 550's sold in the Australian and NZ markets dont actually have a DPF installed?

Old.Tony

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's entirely possible that the 2012 STX550 had a DPF. As @tweak'e says, you can't block off the DPF - you can either replace it or hollow it out. Check: the DPF is a large device in the exhaust (like a muffler) but it will have two metal pipes coming out, and two electrical connectors - both the pipes and the connectors are on each end of the DPF (front and rear) to check flow rates. If yours is still there, he might have been talking about EGR ...

EGR is on the intake manifold, and it's been a common practice to block the EGR valve off. It's usually done by putting a blanking plate between the EGR pipe and the EGR valve. It's easy to remove - make sure you have a gasket in there (they sometimes replace the gasket with the blanking plate) and have some Permatex Ultra Blue Sensor-Safe Gasket Sealant handy.

landmannnn

Reaction score
Yes, they all
Im pretty sure I have read somewhere on here that the 550's sold in the Australian and NZ markets dont actually have a DPF installed?
That appears to be correct. They have the muffler, but it doesn't have the fuel feed. I am not sure what it does if it isn't a dpf.

Nisap

Reaction score
My Spain Built D40 April 2011 STX which I have had since new does not have a DPF fitted. A work mate who had the sister 2011 ST Thai built apparently did. Twice in the past when booking into the Nissan dealer to have a major service done the pre-quote has been quite expensive however when picking my Nav up the actual cost was less due to the fact it didn't have a DPF (Oil and additives, e.t.c. are more expensive when a DPF is fitted) so it would appear even Nissan are unsure which of their models have a DPF. Looking to see if you have one or not seems to be the only way to confirm.

Latest posts